Monday, March 14, 2016

California Time Change!

Although it didn't happen for me, the time did change for Californian's, causing the stock in Starbucks to raise considerably.  In the fall, it's not such a bad deal, giving us lots more light at the end of the day, but in the spring, it's the pits!  Thankfully, I've just come from Arizona where they don't believe in this nonsense!!

It continued to rain all day, filling all my flower beds to the brim.  The lawn looks spectacular and things are growing beautifully, like in the old days.  Its been many years since I've seen this much water, although it used to be a regular occurrence.  You can definitely see why people would abandon an area completely in the ancient days because of a shortage in the water department.

With a bad stomach, I stayed on the couch for a couple of hours.  If there's a good movie on TV, I can usually sit for awhile.  When the movie was over however, I cooked some rice for breakfast, unloaded more essentials, like Jonathan's food and Cooper's toys, then set about organizing the bags of material in my sewing room.

When I came upon this one, I thought it was small enough to get a good start on.  My plan was to cut it into the required pieces, then work on it throughout the week.  It went wrong somewhere around ten minutes after I cut it out.
I sat down just to sew a few together to see what the rows would look like.  Before I knew it, I had spent all day at the sewing machine and it was finished.  Truth be told, it's small ... 41 x 57 ... with large blocks, so it was a cinch to put together.  Since I had THAT much done, I might as well stitch the backing together and take it to the quilter.  I think that makes five now.  Ann is going to just LOVE me!!
After a nice bland dinner of chicken and rice, I ate one more small piece of cherry pie.  Boy did I wish I could have a do-over.  I'm more than willing to mail the remains to whoever has the nerve to try it, just be sure you have an entire bottle of tums available.  Honestly, it wasn't the pie ... it was my stomach.  It was a delicious Claim Jumper frozen cherry pie that I baked in my GOOD oven!!

In the meantime, when not doubled over in pain, I got out Blu's new friend, Mr. Toby Nariz and hung him on the only blank wall in my house.    He reminds me of our old mule Jack that we used to play hide and seek with when packing in the mountains.

Jack didn't like to be led, so the rope was thrown over his neck and he followed .. mostly anyway.  Occasionally he would fall behind on the trail.  Knowing this was his M.O., we would hide in the trees and bushes.  When he finally raised his head and discovered we were out of site, he would race down the trail braying loudly while looking for us.  About the time he ran by, we would jump out behind him.  You should have seen the look on his face!!  He was such a good old mule!!
Ahhhhh the old days of jumping horses, breaking arms, loading mules, breaking ribs ... I miss it terribly.  

Since cherry pie is out as a room freshener, I'll have to go online and see what else I can find to reduce the stale air smell.  I'm sure that will require more cleaning and vacuuming ... ugh ... but it must be done.  I think it's time to take one room at a time and do a total clean-out.  Out with the old, in with the new and off to Goodwill!!!




6 comments:

  1. Didn't have a mule but had a little sister

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahahaha you're too funny!! I bet you did that, too!!!

      Delete
  2. I still think you shoud Make up some 7x6 kites with all that fancy pattern quilting know how at well over $150 apiece and that's just for a small one
    Your skies the limit

    News flash. On the food front
    Now I know you're probably the type of the person that likes to make their own salsa or spaghetti sauce (I certainly know I do)

    The next time you go to a major grocery store in the spaghetti section looking for a can ( yeah I know there's a dirty word again )
    Of Premium HUNTS season tomato sauce for meatloaf 15 ounce
    After you cut up all of your ingredients to go into a salsa
    Add a 15 ounce can of premium Hunts sauce for Hamburg
    I can't Vouch for any of the others
    Add that to your salsa IN replacing the tomato
    My real suggestion is to get two cans because once you sampled the first one your going to want to sit down with a spoon
    Seeing how you're not crazy about the fat oil in hamburger for meatloaf
    You could substitute it for spaghetti sauce all by itself or salsa
    I don't usually toot my horn but i'm going to go out on a limb and do it here
    End of flash enjoy your day

    ReplyDelete
  3. My newest crock pot dump meat: Put a liner in the pot. Dump boneless skinless chicken, canned diced tomatoes with garlic, black olives, & mushrooms in the pot and let it do its thing while you go do yours--like make a whole quilt in one day. Come back to delicious food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I'm going to go put those liners in the pot RIGHT NOW!! And take some chicken out of the freezer. That sounds absolutely yummy!!!!

      Delete