Sunday, October 13, 2024

You Say Tomato, I Say Tomahto

Here we are once again inside the cabinet of curiosities.  I will figure this out one way or another because I'm as stubborn as a mule ... and they are pretty STUBBORN.  I called the Pleasureway van folks ... nice guys who still answered my questions even though they were on the road driving ... and found out they speak some foreign language unknown to mankind.

I get the charger ... it takes the energy and charges the batteries.  The inverter takes the energy and runs the DC stuff.  I can turn the charger off, but the inverter and the fan that keeps it cool, continue to run.  


However, I'm getting closer and closer to learning Squidditcher ... my name for this panel.  By the way, there is no other way to turn anything on or off except here.  There are five panels.  The only one I get is that which opens the vent and turns on the fan!!  Tomato ... tomahto because apparently the inverter and the charger are the same critter hiding under the back seat.

Time to hit the sack.  Honestly, I'm sure this is much easier than I'm making it out to be.  I think if someone stood there and told you exactly what to do and you wrote it down, it would not be so much of a problem.  It's like trying to learn a computer when you've never used one before.


The good news is I can turn OFF the Charger whether I'm boondocking or plugged in.  They tell me the fridge draws directly from the batteries, no inverter required, and it should last for 3 days without ANY added power.  This is definitely a different animal.  

First things first, I cut out a piece of foam for the bed and got out my old sleeping bag.  No use carrying lots of blankets when a lightweight 36 degree sleeping bag is easy to set up and roll up.  

I turned the charger off but the inverter and its fan kept running.  I finally shut off the breaker at my panel where I'm plugged in and was able to shut off the inverter.  Oooooohhhh ..... quiet!!  The two touchpads continued to run on battery, but they shut off automatically.  Can I charge my phone?  Who knows, but I'll do that routine a couple more times today (writing it down as I go) for practice.  

Once I get that down, it will be a piece of cake.  If I'm plugged in, I'll just turn off the breaker.  In the morning I'll flip it back on because I don't care what's running in the daytime.  Truly, all this stems from having a solar system big enough to boondock forever, thus the huge inverter.  It boils down to me not being able to sleep with the noise.  I'm sure no one else would have a problem with it.

So .... the rest of the day involved Mr. Mr. getting a bath.  He hates it!!  He's still a little went around the ears, but got treats for being a good boy.  


And then there was lots of baking.  Yeah ... this is definitely something that would come out of my oven.  I got too involved in the rig and left it in the oven a tad bit too long ... like maybe 30 minutes.  Believe it or not, that's mozzarella on top.  Aren't you glad you don't have to eat it???


Here's another "I'll try it so you don't have to".  This is spinach/cheese ravioli (big ones) layered with sausage, marinara sauce and mozzarella cheese.  It called for ricotta but I didn't have any.  Though I didn't expect much out of this one, it was actually VERY good!!  Fake lasagne!  Who knew??  It needed a little more sauce, but I would make this again for the freezer.


This is one of my all time favorites ... scalloped potatoes.  I had only one lone russet potato left, so I cut it up, added onions, cheese and cream.  Yessiree ... a tip I learned from a Chef back in the day.  Heat some cream with garlic in it and pour over ... not adding too much.  YUM!!!  I had this for breakfast today.


And so I'm going to relax with my coffee this morning before heading back out to test my newly acquired language of the Inverter.  If nothing else, you have to admit I'm determined!!!


11 comments:


  1. Scalloped potatoes and some apple crisp could be a balanced meal at my house! :)) Coffee is always on the menu!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah ... that sounds wonderful!!! I'm sipping my coffee right now.

      Delete
  2. You go girl! I know you will have that rig figured in no time.
    Happy Sunday!
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy MONDAY! I got it, but it took me long enough.

      Delete
  3. I remember the nights where that charger was so loud that I was praying for cold weather so that it would shut down due to the temperature of charger. I think your plan is good...but breakers will wear out when used (turned off and on over and over) but that too is an easy fix. MIGHT want to find a replacement breaker just to carry with you. But using that breaker over and over again the way you will be doing SHOULD not turn into a problem for many years (5-10)...but could be earlier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never had to deal with a noisy charger, so this is a first. Oh ... and not the RIG breaker, but the breaker on my main house panel that controls the RV plug.

      Delete
    2. Either way, Breakers are not intended to be used like that because breakers are not rated for frequent use like a light switch. Breakers contain a tight spring that trips quickly to prevent an arc flash and fire. I know this because we use to turn off certain breakers in the Library to control lights. After having to replace that same breaker for the third time in seven years I asked the electrician and he told me they are not intended to be used like a light switch. We kept doing what we were doing since it was better than having a bunch of lights on all night (back in the 60's when the Library was built they did not have most of the lights on light switches, just needed to flip the right breaker.

      Delete
  4. We were lucky. You have a one-piece Charger/Inverter. When I was researching to install our Solar Panels, I read about the bonuses and downfalls of the different setups. The fact that our trailers already had Chargers and you could hear the cooling fans running. The only thing we needed to worry about was the Inverter, because the Solar Panels needed a Charge Controller so as not to fry the Batteries. Shutting the breaker to the Charger solved the noise problem, because the Solar Panels were then charging the Batteries.
    The Mozzarella might have been crunchy, but it still looks tasty.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the same is true here. Just took me awhile to figure it out.

      Delete
  5. Those are absolutely beautiful scalloped potatoes. Sigh. One of my favorite dishes. Never made any that pretty though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh thank you Judith ... and they tasted just as good as they looked!!

      Delete