Thursday, October 3, 2024

Work Work Work!!!

 YAY, I survived the big day at work AND the first hot day of the week.  We are back up to 101 degrees with 72 degree nights.  It's a good thing the lodge puts on such great dinners because it pays for the PG&E bill to keep the building nice and cool.  

I was finally able to get SOME of my email accounts to work after deleting them a few times.  About three hours worth of my time to get two working.  So at least there are now some pictures, though completely uninteresting pictures!!

Here's my little stool at Bingo.  There was no middle ground for a long time.  You were either looking up at the infernal machine or you were standing up and looking down.  As uncomfortable as it is, this little chair is right in the middle.  Wires everywhere are for the debit card machine and internet access.  This building is over 100 years old, so there are no modern conveniences.


Did I mention that we have a backup infernal machine?  It is programmed the same as this one.  If someone accidentally unplugs this machine for 30 minutes, all the programming disappears.  Yes it has batteries, but someone has to go BUY them.

SO .... someone unplugged the BACKUP machine and it lost its mind.  Maybe ... just MAYBE I can download the brains from this one on to a small disk and feed it to the backup machine.  Otherwise I will be spending 2-3 hours manually re-programming another infernal machine, which is why it's called an infernal machine.


Enough of bingo ... now I'm back in the office at 8:30 in the morning to try and get the system to tell me exactly how much each candidate needs to pay at tonights initiation, along with printing their membership cards.


Thank you for all the good luck you sent, because it went VERY well.  Though it took me three hours going through all the selections, I was thrilled to have finished.  That's when I got the phone call from a past secretary asking if I had added the $50.  WHAT $50?  No one said anything about $50.

Oh yeah .... we went back through the system one screen at a time while she tried to figure out how to do that.  Thank goodness for good Eks ... she did every one for me and saved the day!!

From there it was on to key codes not working to get in the door, craft vendor signups, paying dues and marking THEM paid along with going to that second program again to print cards.  How I ever got it to print the right card on a sheet of eight, I'll never know.

I definitely have to remember to take pictures, because I KNOW you would have loved seeing Taco Bell tacos for lunch!!  I finally snuck out of the office at 2:00 and headed home to my sweet boy.  He's always so happy to see me!!


Today I have a growing list of to-do's before dressing up in my monkey suit and heading back to the lodge.  I have to meet and greet the 31 folks being initiated, sign them in, take their money and explain everything before taking the Secretary's seat for the meeting.  

Roll calls, reading minutes, turning lights on and off, calling names of the departed, all stuff I have never done before.  Hopefully it doesn't turn into a wreck.  Oh .. and don't forget TAKING minutes for the next meeting because no one can find the tape recorder.  

Oh yeah .... this is a disaster in the making!!!!!  I'll let you know how it goes.  




10 comments:

  1. Good Luck Nancy....I bet you will do fine !
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got this! I know you will go great!
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are hitting 90 today, with 75% humidity, so it feels like 103...typical early fall weather here in Florida. News of the destruction from the storm Helene keep coming in. FEMA is out of money because it was all spent on illegals, but they still came up with some money for those who are now homeless...a whole $750. With local hotel rooms costing around $100...well, you get the picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read that. I had no idea they were giving away FEMA money! Heck, $750 won't even buy groceries, let alone a hotel room! It just makes me sick!!! No worries, they will just print more money and make inflation twice what it is now.

      Delete
  4. You deal with so much, no wonder you stay so young!! I can tell that the motivation of seeing a happy little boy at the end of all that grief is what keeps you going. 😍 He blends right in with his bed, good thing for those little black eyes!

    ReplyDelete