Saturday, October 19, 2024

Duck Butts

With the wind chill in the air yesterday, it really wasn't comfortable to be out early in the day.  A few cups of coffee remedied that and I hit the road to see how many birds have migrated this direction.  I know I've mentioned this before, but when the cattle business got tough, my dad went to work at the newly created Wildlife Refuge running caterpillars (and not even big ones that long ago) that shaped 10,200 acres of rice and grass land into a waterfowl refuge.

Back in 1951, the enormous number of migrating birds that would land on local farmland was unbelievable.  They would completely cover up 200 acres of pasture grass on our ranch and leave nothing for the cattle to eat.  You cannot imagine walking out to see the entire field moving like a ball of worms.  The noise was defeafening!  If you made a run at them, thousand would take to the skies, fly around two turns and land again.


For the farmers trying to grow rice and corn, it was devastating.  The Lea Act was created to make a refuge that would attract the waterfowl away from the farmland.  It pretty much worked because they took all the end-of-the-season irrigation water and diverted it to this area, which attracted all the waterfowl flying south.


This entire area will soon be flooded with about a foot of water.  They were just turning the pumps on when I arrived.  Really, someone should talk to those guys about how fast they drive on this dirt/gravel road throwing up so much dust and rock that I had to stop so I didn't drive off the roadway.


It's easily accessible every day of the year, with an audio tour if you want, as you drive around the narrow roads.  I was surprised there were quite a few mud hens.  There are so many different kinds, I couldn't even begin to name them all.


Mr. Cooper went with me and he was not impressed.  Though the snow geese and swans have not arrived yet, the first couple hundred of the expected 15-20,000 sandhill cranes have arrived.  By next month you will not be able to see any grass or water.  The land will be covered with them.


It was a pretty windy day and you can see the water coming in while this guy was digging for critters in the mud.  Oh by the way, it's time for the baby snake hatch also.  I stayed in my truck.  No rattlers here, but they can give you a nasty bite.


All of the ducks not feeding were gathered against this little island for protection from the wind.  This was taken from so far away that I did not see the cranes in the distance flying around until I loaded the image on my computer.  Early arrivals get the best and most distance nest sites.


Duck butts!!  Everywhere you look ... duck butts.  


I think this is an American Coot.  They should have a handout with a picture and a name.  These guys have arrived first and are everywhere!!


But it was these guys I was after. They are pretty wary and stay far away from vehicles and people.


You can definitely see the difference between the males and females.  He was following these two around the entire area.  These kids are four foot tall and have a wingspan of about 6-1/2 feet.  


I'll have a few more pictures tomorrow after I finish going through the 151 I took.  As for now, I have to figure out how to make the new AC/Heater control change from cold to warm.  It sure seems like the old turn-the-dial-up kind were easier to operate than the magic push button, turn, push button three times, turn thingy they have now.  

We are down to 50 degrees at night and Cooper is cold, not to mention ME!!  I think fall lasted one week and winter has arrived.




7 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tour Nancy this was interesting.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gotta wonder "IF" they (EPA, etc) would allow for something like this to be built today??? Would it pass environmental impact??? Would the "influx of birds" kill too many snakes, too many tadpoles, too many baby fish???? Look at how they have tried to stop farmers/ranchers from creating ponds on their own land...at least the Supreme Court stopped that one finally...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Nancy what neat pictures.
    It's cold here too!
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We used to have a blogger that we called Judy the Bird Lady. She could tell you the name of every bird and loved volunteering at wildlife reserves. We, too, went from hot to cold but we're going to head back to the 90s next week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are correct, it is cold. Below 80 is cold. Those were some neat pictures.

    Later,
    Rex

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laughed at your duck butts! I've seen many too. We've seen Sandhill cranes in Arizona at whitewater Draw. Amazing!
    The Coots I've only ever seen were at Yuma Lakes rv park.

    ReplyDelete