Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Where Did They All Go?

So ..... I spent a lot of time, both inside and out, trying to get images of the meteor shower.  The rain that stopped in finally made it's way West, leaving lots of clouds behind.  That didn't bode well for a clear view of the sky.

It was pitch black outside as I set up my tripod.  That's not so easy to do in the dark.  I had even shut all the blinds inside so light wouldn't bleed into the pictures.  The clouds were amazing.
Even when the sun was completely down, the camera picked up it's last little vestige of light against the clouds.  It was invisible to the naked eye, but my camera picked it up nicely.
It's past my bedtime by now and I'm yawning to Cooper's howls because he can't come outside with me.  I don't think I was meant for midnight photography.  As the clouds began to disappear, the sky became more interesting.  I don't know where they pick up the light, but they looked pretty cool.  
These are all 25-50 second exposures, making the clouds fuzzy looking as they passed by.  Just when I thought I would get a nice view of the meteors, another cloud stepped in.
Finally, a clear sky.  LOTS of stars, but alas, not a single meteor to be seen.  Where did they all go?  You will probably have to click on the image to see the stars.
At long last, one really nice one flew by right out of camera range.  Well rats!!!  I spent another two hours sitting in the dark swatting bugs, hoping for the best, but absolutely nothing happened.
Bored as could be, I tried increasing the exposure time to 70 seconds.  This looks blurry, but it's actually showing the rotation of the earth.  If I increased it enough, the stars would look like long lines.  I actually did set up on Sunday night after poker, hoping for a clear shot of the sky, but it never happened.  Okay ... I'm done.  Enough of the meteor shower.  Back to scary desert creatures!!
I found this in the garage.  Thankfully he was DEAD!!  I've no idea what this is, but there were TWO along the garage wall where I had sprayed ... crispy ... meaning they fell apart when I swept them out.  That means the spray I put down is working, at least against these things.
I know that spray is the 12-month variety, but I'm going to spray again ... and again ..........

I had a really nice morning sewing with the local ladies just up the hill at my neighbor's house.  Pat fixed the best ever lunch of pulled pork with red peppers and pasta salad.  Gosh that girl can cook.  

I have good news too ... the awning contractor will be here this morning to begin construction on my front porch and install the gutters.  I'm excited!!!!  Pictures to follow!







6 comments:

  1. Did you find the flying carpet from the storm? (previous blog post)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I did ... and it's taken flight two more times since then!!

      Delete
  2. I think you did awesome with your night time photos, Nancy.
    What the heck is that desert crawler?? looks part scorpion and part toy. Yech!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone said it was a centipede ... another dangerous biter!!

      Delete
  3. When we lived in Tucson we purchased insect control spray from Do It Yourself Pest Control. We sprayed monthly and never had problems once we started spraying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of a Do It Yourself Pest Control. I'll see what I can find out.

      Delete