Thursday, August 16, 2018

I'm Officially Freaking Out

Okay, I'm pretty strong when it comes to critters.  I've lived and played in the outdoors for eons and come up against LOTS of spiders and snakes.  I battle black widow spiders at home constantly, but nothing ..... and I mean nothing ..... comes close to the spiders in the desert.

As it is, I can't use my guest bathroom any more since this guy and his buddy visited me last week.  In talking to the awning installation guys, one said if he found a wolf spider in his house he would burn the house down.  I was feeling brave up until he said that.
Still, I never go outside now without sandals on, and it's a good thing.  Time to take the puppies out for the last time.  As I flipped on the light and my foot hit the first step, I saw something big and dark brown by the steps.  I froze.  Oh come on Nancy, it's just a leaf or something.

That's when the SOMETHING moved!!  I totally freaked out, screaming at the dogs to get back in the house.  I almost tripped as I slammed the door, leaped over the steps to the patio and reached for the shovel.  WHAM!!!!  WHAM again and again until it quit moving.

That's the biggest spider yet .... HUGE ... the size of the palm of my hand ... and seemed to be darker brown than the others.  Lord, please make it stop!!  I don't think I can stand another encounter.  I scooped him up and dumped him in the trash can, only to find a huge wet spot ... probably pure venom!!!

I'm paranoid now.  No one can go outside unless I scope out the steps first with the lights shining brightly.  I do a quick search even as I move room to room in the house.  You thought I had gray hair before .. you should see it now!

At any rate, here's the best image I could get of the shade cover.  Built for 90 mph winds and luckily situated in line with most of them, as well as being protected by the houses above, it is cemented into concrete and should last a long time.  It is much bigger than I expected, but I love it!!
The kid fixed the sprinkler lines, installed downspouts and cleaned up as good as I would have before starting on the gutters in the back yard.  It's funny I don't see many gutters in this country.  With as much rain as they get, I am surprised.  

Even in my house, there are a couple of window sills that have received water damage due to the waterfalls coming off the roof.  That's not a problem on the front now, but the back really needed something over the four big windows.

Another job well done as I now have both the left and right hand side of the building covered, as well as the patio cover.   Drains for the house are installed outside the concrete block wall.  This edge of the back patio cover will have the only downspout.  Now I can't wait for it to rain again so I can see just how good it's going to work.  I don't know ... as much rain as I've seen here, they may just overflow.
In the meantime, Miss Patty's plants are going crazy!!  I've never in my life seen anything bloom like this one!!  In a mere three days, this baby has grown to ten inches long.  I can't wait to see it flower!!!
Well maybe I can, because seeing it requires I go down those steps where the big spider was.  Don't worry, my shovel now sits right by the door within reach!!!


18 comments:

  1. Why don't you carry a spray bottle of insecticide with you? Have you had the yard sprayed for bugs? I can't believe you still have them. Go to Home Depot or Lowe's and buy some bug spray that lasts 6 months. Spray it on the outside as well as along the baseboards inside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually have done that Jan ... I not only have a service, but I spray too. I think it's just the rain that's bringing them out. It's been raining every day this past week!! What fun!!

      Delete
  2. Well I got good news and bad news for you you might want to sit down.
    the good news is the big old ๐Ÿ•ท Is more scared of you,, than your. Big old shovel. you remember the other day when you said you saw a hole in the yard. it's probably one from a brown tarantula there are black ๐Ÿ•ทones too as well.
    you live in a desert they live in a desert
    They eat bugs and are basically harmless
    I used to catch them for my boy and he would take them to school
    And put them in a fish tank
    If you think that brown spider is big you don't want to research these boys.
    But you have to remember,, all that rain fills in their underground condos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly what is happening ... but I just can't stand spiders. Next time I'll try to remain calm and maybe just throw him over the fence!! LOL

      Delete
  3. Rain brings out more then Plants or Spiders. It brings out all the vermin that live underground as well.
    For regular sized Spiders mix Mouth Wash and Dish Soap and it surprisingly stops them in their tracks without harming plants.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now there's a formula I can make up ... anything to keep them off my back porch and out of the house!!

      Delete
  4. You make me glad we didn't decide to make Arizona our home. I can fly out to Phoenix to visit my brothers then go back home where the pests are just mosquitoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL ..... I had no idea it was like this. Mostly because no one I know stays around for monsoon season, so they don't see all the critters roaming about.

      Delete
  5. I hate lack of spellcheck

    If you notice the cactus plant is reaching for the sun.turn the plant 180°
    And the shoot will go straight up. it's trying to track the sun light

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? I had no idea. Next time I'll try that, although these plants will all be going home very soon!!

      Delete
  6. I think you have two dogs watching you ๐Ÿ‘€. ๐Ÿ‘€

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are ALWAYS watching ... best watch pups ever!!!

      Delete
  7. I'll have goosebumps all day now, Nancy, if not nightmares. The size of your hand? OMG
    confirming what Linda said above, I'm glad I don't live south in the summer.
    Beautiful awning cover you have and the downspout should work wonders........downpours being the exception, maybe.
    Great job on looking after that cactus and yes, as Mister ed says, turn the plant (if you every go out again). :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So interesting about the blooms. I'll try that. So far I haven't had nightmares, but I certainly watch where I step now!!

      Delete
  8. Do love your shade cover, but not so much all those bugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ... shade cover will also be nice in the rain!!

      Delete
  9. Oh boy. I was going to call the Tucson chamber of commerce & tell 'em they should send you a check for all those glorious pictures you post of your out-of-this-world back yard - seriously, your skies are better than *any* ocean view - but they'd have to call the bank & cancel it if they got wind of all your bug posts. A hundred readers' dreams of moving out there with hopes we can score a view like yours were dashed in an instant by these i n s a n e l y scary monster spider pics.[Shudder]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL ... I guess we have to take the bad along with the good ... best views ever as long as you watch where you step!!!

      Delete