Monday, August 20, 2018

It's An Animal Town!!

Tucson is lots of things besides HOT.  Unfortunately, the heat takes away from many of the interesting places to see and things to do.  That's why the Food In Root farmers market opens at 8:00 in the morning.  It should have opened at 4:00 am.

I left home at 7:30, mostly because it's a 40 minute drive.  Back home, I would probably never drive that far for a farmers market, even if they DID have them.  The best part was no traffic.  As I drove through town, I noticed lots of people out for a morning walk with their pooches.  This is a dog town, that's for sure.

When you DON'T have a live pooch of your own, you just put THIS is the back of your truck.  Is this the cutest thing ever?  The perfect white companion for the all white truck.  He requires little care and NO food.  Not only that, but you don't have to worry about burning his little feet on the pavement.
It was getting warmer fast ... a lovely 100 degrees by the time I parked.  No problem I thought ... I was actually rather chilly from running the AC the entire way.  I'll be fine.  I lasted all of five minutes.  Before I could get to the third booth selling those garlic graters, I was starting to melt.

With no breeze whatsoever, I tried to stick to the shade as I checked out the kitty artistry.  I can do this!  An easel, a little paint ... I'm SURE I can do this.  I bought this one anyway for the guest bathroom.  I'm hoping the kitty will scare the daylights out of the big spiders and keep them at bay.
Truthfully, I was looking for the tamale lady and maybe an English toffee pudding or two, but only the diehards were in attendance.  I opted for two pieces of baklava, sold by a very nice lady covered from head to toe with heavy black fabric.  I know that's a religious thing, but good heavens it's too hot for that!!  I'm happy to say I think mine tastes better.  That doesn't happen very often!!
By now I truly AM melting as I feel water dripping down my back.  I've never sweat so much in my life.  Is this supposed to be good for you?  Something akin to a sauna?  Here I am wearing my brand new beautiful $10 shirt and it's getting soaked!!  That's when I spotted it!!

A beautiful leather purse just screaming out my name.  I tried to walk away not once, but TWICE!!  It didn't work ... this is a beauty and now it's in my hot little hands (literally) as I head back towards the car.
That's when I ran into this baby girl.  It's an animal town!!  She was certainly getting lots of attention in her little blue wagon.  I'm not sure if she's spoiled or whether the pavement is too hot, but she was feeling pretty lucky as everyone who walked by gave her a pat on the head.  In return, she slobbered all over them.
Finally I made it back to the car.  Total trip maybe 20 minutes.  I turned the air conditioning on HIGH.  I'm just not used to this heat.  Back home with MY kids, I spent most of the rest of the day planted in front of the table fan and under the ceiling fan.  Eventually I cooled off enough to spend some play time with the babies.  Such an angel when he's asleep!

The good news is it's much cooler at my house since I'm uphill from Tucson.  How about we go outside and try to find something to transplant into my yard?  Yes I did ... but at least I wasn't wearing my new blouse!!
Next up ... the Food Truck Roundup ... outside .... in the heat!!  What better way to spend your evening??




10 comments:

  1. That indeed sounds HOT, Nancy. I hate that feeling of drips down your back. It doesn't happen often for me either, thank goodness.
    Love the purse and I'm not a purse person. :)
    Cute white dog in the white truck. No licks of love though.
    Cooper is so cute, sound asleep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gotta love a market when you can find one always things to see and do AND eat there. Always love seeing people with their pets Suzie can get here doggie fix and we don't have to feed them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That market is MUCH bigger in the winter. FYI they also have a guy that sharpens knives with a REAL machine. Those are hard to find.

      Delete
  3. Food markets are so fun....never know what you'll find! Your picture and purse are great! Suggestion, drink a bit of Gatorade (personally, I think the stuff is gross!). When you're sweating, sometimes water isn't enough. We've been finding that out up here in Idaho. Stay cool! Liz-Boise, ID

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what Liz? That's a VERY good idea. I don't care for the taste either, but gatorade might make me feel better!!

      Delete
  4. I think Cooper had the proper idea...that heat is a bit much. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup ... he's a pretty smart cookie. Lately I've been following in his footsteps!!

      Delete
  5. Every time we see dogs running around in Pickup Truck Beds we cringe. Last winter in Arizona we saw Two Labs running around on a Flat Bed that was bouncing around La Posa South with no Side Rails. Some people shouldn't have Pets.
    We enjoy the Markets but not in the Heat.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree with that!!! By law pets mush be "tied" in, but no one enforces it!!

      Delete