Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Light Shows Every Night

If you happen to be a fan of lightning or just like to watch nature at her amazing theatrical best, just come to Arizona in the summer monsoon season.  It's just so hard to believe the desert has monsoons.  This one I just happened to catch with my iPhone.  It certainly lights up the dark sky.
There have been excessive heat warnings every day this week, but luckily, I'm on the very edge as you climb up the mountains heading East, so it's not been too terrible.  This morning I even went for a walk at 4:30 am.  I know, most people aren't even awake, let alone up.  That's good for me since it requires no makeup or hairdo!!  I do however, carry a flashlight, just in case the occasional rattlesnake crosses my path.

Good news ... I reached Verizon yesterday regarding the $45 charge on my WiFi bill.  I actually talked to Kayla who could speak perfect English.  That was refreshing!!  My account has been credited.  It's a pain in the patou, but now I'm checking my usage every day.  No use getting caught with my pants down TWICE!

In spite of the heat,  last week I sat outside with my camera on a tripod, under cover of the patio roof, to get some more lightning pictures.  I never tire of these images.  This time the sun was setting just on the other side of the storm cloud.  You can see the rain falling in buckets.  
That big CRACK of lightning that scared me last week actually did hit right in our neighborhood.  It took out all the electrical wiring in a neighbor's garage and damaged his roof.  Scary stuff!!  This storm was further away than the last one and only dropped 1-1/2 inches of rain in about 20 minutes.  Aren't these colors fabulous?
Yesterday morning I trotted off .... drove actually .... all of 100 yards to my neighbor's house for quilting.  I wasn't meant to walk in 100 degree weather carrying a sewing machine, UPHILL no less.  We had a great time as usual, a bunch of quilters getting together and talking shop.  You should see the amazing work these ladies create.

Meet Cooper ... a tad larger than MY Cooper and the sweetest dog on the planet.  Yup ... puppies are also invited.  Shiloh was too shy for a picture.  We take over the entire house, sew, chit-chat and have lunch.  I think it's my favorite activity in Arizona!!  That's Nancy #1 and Shirley in the background.
This isn't a time lapse photo ... lightning was hitting two and three times at once.  It was a pretty big light show to say the least.
You have to look close at this one, there are two bolts intertwined.  I never know what it's going to look like until I process the images.  For those interested, I think this one was ISO 600, F8, Bulb setting for 10 seconds.  As soon as the lightning strikes, I yell GOTCHA, let go of the shutter and start the next one.
There was another small storm last night, lighting up the sky with bright flashes here and there.  A quick rain hit us around 8:30 and was gone in a flash.  Literally!!  Excessive heat warnings were the headlines this morning, but storms are expected the next four days.  I'll be right out back with my camera ready!!








10 comments:

  1. Your pictures are absolutely gorgeous! Thank you for risking your life and limb to sit outside and capture them for us. :)
    The quilting time would be fun, doing what you love with people you enjoy. Wait a minute..........you are Nancy #1 to us! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! I love being able to capture nature at it's finest!!

      Delete
  2. Great Lightning Shots! You do know that the Lightning is actually coming from the ground out to the sky. Watch you aren't standing on a hill they seem to be the most conductive.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm down the side of a hill, thank goodness. Apparently that's why the lightning hit up on top of the ridge.

      Delete
  3. What amazing pictures, love watching the storms. WeHad some thunder and lighting here for a few minutes but did not amount to much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well just spend some time in Arizona in the summer! You'll get to see LOTS of storms!

      Delete
  4. Where is the Amazon distribution center located? We usually spend the winter at Cactus Country RV Resort (resort in name only) on Houghton Rd and are familiar with the area. Mainly curiosity on my part.

    We enjoy reading about your settling in your house near Cactus Country. BTW: They have a quilting group that meets on Tuesday morning after 10am in the winter months. My wife joins the group there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I've seen the sign for Cactus Country. I would love to check out their quilt group! The center is located on Kolb Road, not far off Hwy 10. It's amazing how big it's going to be. They say 1500 new employees.

      Delete
  5. I hope you are posting these photos for sale somewhere. They are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda! I appreciate your kind words. About the only place to sell photos and get more than a few cents, is to magazines. I might try and submit a few of these.

      Delete