Thursday, August 30, 2018

Patagonia ... Not Just Clothes

I've got lots of Patagonia wear ... jackets, running gear ... so when Patty said lets go to Patagonia, I quickly ran through my brain what articles of clothing I still needed to acquire.  Unfortunately, Patagonia doesn't live in Patagonia.

It definitely was a beautiful drive with the Arizona desert green from all the rain.  The first sight was this very cool cutout statue against the horizon.  You might not know just how realistic looking this statue is, but I can tell you it is exactly what you would see when a cowboy drives cattle ... from the horse's low head, reins dangling, to the horseman's hands, to the calf falling behind mom.
This is actually in Sonoita, on the way to Patagonia.  If you look up Sonoita on the internet, it says it's a town.  That's about it.  

A few more miles down the road and you come to Patagonia.  Originally, the Papago Indians lived here under constant threat of Apache attacks, mostly for food.  Eventually this led to the military presence to keep order.  

Unfortunately, Civil War broke out in 1861 and the troops were sent back East.  The Apaches continued their depredation, killing several local miners.  In 1865 the war was over and the troops came back to set up Camp Crittenden.
In 1891, Civil War Veteran RR Richardson developed an area of his ranch near the railroad, which became Patagonia. This was a supply center for the mining camps in the area.  Trains came in from Tombstone and went all the way to Sierra Vista and Mexico for supplies.

By 1900 Patagonia's claim to fame was running water and three hotels.  This is the Commercial Hotel.
All this history made us hungry, so we stopped in at the Stage Stop Inn for some lunch.
This quiet little hotel has a great restaurant and a pool in case you are interested in staying.  Mr. Chance had an amazing looking cheeseburger while Patty and I split a turkey wrap. 
Their onion rings are WONDERFUL.  Have two orders!!  We actually ate most of the onion rings before I took a picture!!
By the 1920's, the stock market crash was quickly followed by a Sonoita Creek washout with the railroad abandoning the tracks heading to Sierra Vista and Mexico.  In the late 30's, big mines came in sending copper and zinc to allied forces in World War II.  Otherwise, the little town might not exist any more.

We wandered through the lobby of the Stage Stop Inn to find some unique furniture and flooring.
There were many chairs made from cattle horns and hides.  The interesting part however is the floor.  They have tiles imprinted with local cattle brands.  That's something I've never seen before.
Across the street is the old railroad station, moved here from the OTHER side of the street in order to save it from destruction.
It is now Patagonia's municipal court.  See the old wig-wag on the far right?  It's one of only a few in existence, so they refurbished it and installed it here.  There are lots of stories if you go inside, but you can also find stories outside.
Not sure how we ended up talking to this guy .... I was taking baby bird pictures (to be seen later) when the conversation began.  Apparently he is walking the Arizona Trail from Mexico to somewhere in Northern Arizona.  

He looked rather beat up and hot.  I'm not sure walking this trail in the summer is the thing to do, but anyway, he began to tell us the tale of the HUGE mountain lion that jumped over his shoulder not far from here.  He is either lucky to be alive or a real good story teller!!
There's much more to see in Patagonia, as it has become sort of an arts and crafts town with quirky people, which is how they like it.  On the way back through Sonoita, we discovered this new enterprise.  I'm not sure it will survive, but the newly built Copper Brothel Brewery (yes you read that right) just opened for business.  It will probably be hopping in the wintertime.  Ladies, you may want to accompany your husbands to this one.
When people saw my camera, they asked if I was here bird watching.  Uh no ... I hadn't actually seen any birds until outside the restaurant.  There above us were several starling nests ... least I'm guessing that what they were ... attached to the fire sprinkler valves.  I took dozens of images I'll show you tomorrow.  Cute little buggers!!  

Lastly, I'm happy to say Cooper and Jessie are up and running again.  Now to find something in a can they will eat without bad consequences.  I'm terrible at cooking for myself ... if I have to cook for them, I'm sure my cemetery will exceed it's boundaries.







8 comments:

  1. Love that silhouette of the cowboy we saw it last winter and was really impressed. Such a small area there but so much to see and enjoy. Thanks for the tour again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny ... the first time I drove through I saw nothing. This time I saw everything!!

      Delete
  2. Nancy Joe and I loved Patagonia and Sonoita. I have a special oil cloth grocery bag ( or could be used to put wet swimming clothes in) We also enjoined going to Patagonia Lake State Park

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lake is on my list Betty. It's weird there are lakes in the desert!! LOL I'll check it out too.

      Delete
  3. You went all the way down there an you only stopped in a hookers beer parlor well👍
    Patagonia / Sonoita both are supposed to have excellent wine vineyards
    Now if you went to Elgin you could've stopped at Open Cross Ranch
    You would've felt right at home,, yet go ahead and Google it
    I figure if I ever win the big lotto, I have my house all picked out on Curly Horse Road but I'm still having a hard time figuring out what I would do with 80 acres
    Maybe I could start a penguin farm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I bet you would find penguins in the desert too. I can't believe there are lakes ... and grass .... Elgin is my next stop.

      Delete
  4. Patagonia looks like a great place for a visit. We also love the Sonoita silhouettes, we've passed them many times while we are at Huachuca City. Thanks for the history, love the names of the establishments, I hope the brewery does well for them!
    Happy to hear the pooches are doing well. You need to give yourself more credit for your cooking skills. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g31362-Activities-Sonoita_Arizona.html

    between Elgin and Patagonia i'm surprised you haven't found out how diversified it is in that area plus it's up a higher elevation to I believe it's in the 4500 elevation

    ReplyDelete