Saturday, September 2, 2023

YOU WERE ALL CORRECT!!

You know how when things really bother you, you can't sleep?  My brain just wouldn't shut off, thinking about that darn gate.  At 6:00 in the morning, I was outside in the fabulous cool morning air, contemplating how to get the arm off.  After all, it's been there for many years, making the parts and pieces stick together like concrete.

But wait ... I'm always watching those reels on my phone about WD40 and it's amazing properties, kind of like penetrating oil.  We used that stuff on the ranch constantly because everything was old and rusty.  I went to work, spraying everything that SHOULD be movable.  

The problem with just unhooking the gate ... the arm stuck out too far to get the rig in while making a dogleg turn.  I really didn't want to replace the entire thing (or my rig).  While digging around inside, I found a plate with a name and serial number.  I went online and called a guy in Florida that sells them.  He gave me the name of a repair guy about 30 miles away.  The price was $365 PER HOUR.

In the meantime, my very experienced handyman neighbor came by.  He was able to disconnect the arm completely with his Superman-like strength.   YAY!!  See ... WD40 works!


THEN ... as mentioned by Anonymous in the comments yesterday, he just reached in the box and touched one of the tiny switches.  VOILA!!!  The arm moved.  I'M BACK IN BUSINESS.  Apparently it was just the slightest bit stuck.  We put the arm back together and attached the gate.  


I was so excited to get my trailer INSIDE the fence.  Well ... excited until I realized that meant I had to begin the unpacking process.  This baby is full to the brim!!!


That was a load off my shoulders.  Maybe now I can sleep!!


Or not ... the closest garage door STILL won't open.  We pulled the cord and I propped a ladder underneath to keep it open while unloading the U-Haul truck.  It's not absolutely necessary it get fixed, but you know how it is ... it bothers you ... or at least it does me, until I figure it out.  

I tried with no results.  The neighbor tried with no results.  The neighbor's kid tried with no results.  I went inside to contemplate.  I looked up online for the manual with reprogramming directions.  We all thought that HAD to be the problem.  

At long last, after a phone call (you know who you are) about checking the trouble shooting part of the manual, I discovered all those flashing lights actually meant something.  Three flashes meant the lights at the bottom of the door were not aligned.  You know, the ones that make the door stop if you walk into them.  I realigned the lights.

Then it began flashing FIVE times.  I sat down and thought about it some more.  Gosh, so much thinking goes into repairing stuff.  AHA!!!  I GOT IT!!!  There is a "vacation" switch on the wall control.  Who knew?????  It makes the door not open at all if you move it one way.  I've absolutely no idea HOW it got moved, but when I looked ... yup ... the other two controls had the switch in a different position.  

I moved it over and I couldn't believe my eyes.  The door opened.  GOOD GRIEF!!!!  At least I saved myself $75.00 by not calling the Garage Door Doctor, who would have just walked over and flipped the switch!!


I think this was the look on my face when the garage door opened.  It was also the look on my face when I realized I never fixed this plug.  Readers said it's a loose connection inside.  OH BOY ... more electrical stuff that can kill me.  Big sigh .......


Since my brain was pretty fried by then, I decided to take a break and read Patsy's blog.  Here's a solution for those bees and Yellowjackets that inundate your hummingbird feeder.  MINT!  It might help with the ant problems eating all the sugar water at the Chance residence.  It's worth a try anyway!!


Even after a hard day of thinking and unloading, I find it hard to just sit and relax, but sit I did just long enough to enjoy this gorgeous sunset.


It's not often that we have beautiful skies like in southern Arizona.  


That won't last long though ... the weather guessers say rain tomorrow morning, which means I have to manhandle that queen mattress and box springs into the garage to keep it dry.  Sounds like fun, NO??




14 comments:

  1. Thank God for handy neighbors. My brain got tired just reading about how hard your brain has been working! We had a nice sunset yesterday but nothing like your sunset....gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit, it's not fun overtaxing my little brain.

      Delete
  2. Nancy, you are amazing. I like how you think!😁. Emjay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you, but it's only because I'm so "frugal" I don't want to PAY to get things fixed! LOL

      Delete
  3. I always said you were a sharp cookie! I like the way you figure out a solution to the problem.
    You go girl!
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Frances ... I do like a challenge, but NOT every day!!

      Delete
  4. While you may ruminate on broken things, you seem to always get them fixed. I have thought with our weather here in AZ the last couple days, you sure picked a great weather window to move. Kathi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a tad bit hot loading up, but it's nice and cool for unloading.

      Delete
  5. Kudos, my dear. You listen to advice and learn to fix your own stuff. You always impress me. Glad to got the garage door opening too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know the real reason Patsy ... I was just too cheap to pay $365 to get the gate fixed! LOL

      Delete
  6. Good job Nancy! That saved a bundle. As for Patty's hummingbird feeder, IF it is the type that hangs down from a tree or metal/wooden stand, they make an 'ant moat hook' that has a cup between the two hooks that the feeder would hang from. Fill that cup up with water and ants won't be able to get to the feeder. Very inexpensive fix...$5 per moat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh what a great idea!! Thanks Dave ... never heard of doing that.

      Delete
  7. Great job! That is a beauty of a sunset for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those colors don't show up here very often, but when they do, it sure is pretty.

      Delete