Monday, September 18, 2023

Shopping At Walmart

AT LAST!!!  Actually, I hate to say anything because you know what will happen.  I'll have a relapse and once again be hobbling around the house.  I'm not completely there yet, but I'm much better.  Sometimes old remedies are the best.  No, it wasn't whiskey.

I grabbed the book I've been reading ... On the Road to Tombstone, Drew's Station, Contention City and Fairbank.  You may have heard of those if you've been in Southern Arizona.  The book is about how the towns came about and how the railroads made the stage lines go out of business.  I stuck it behind my back and leaned against it.  It provided quite a bit of relief, so it stayed there all day.  

Surprisingly, I slept fairly well in spite of whoever was out there at 2:27 playing basketball in their driveway.  This morning I'm considerably better.  No sharp pains.  Of course I'm not testing anything by lifting longarm parts and pieces.  It was enough just getting out of bed!!!

So here's my foxy twins again, checking out the yard for goodies.  Watch the acrobatics these kids can do. I had no idea they were so athletic!!


What to do for the day is always the question I have.  Since being gone so long with my house shut up, it smells rather musty.  What better way to fix that than frying up a slab of bacon, followed by a nice apple pie baking in the oven.  Too bad I didn't have the pie.

Not wanting to carry any heavy grocery bags, I opted to do an online Walmart order.  I have to admit, even here their prices are cheaper than the grocery stores.  I didn't need much, and try not to order things that require them to make a decision ... like which tomatoes to pick.  

At the required hour, I went for pickup.  Wow ... there were ten cars in the lot waiting for groceries.  In about ten minutes, a nice young man came to the door.  He was very polite and dressed nicely ... not something you see around here every day.  He loaded everything into the back of my Jeep.  That's pretty good service for Walmart.

Of course you have to either pay for the bags, or unload the stuff out of their boxes into your own bags.  I think they must be making a killing on the bags!  I don't know who prepares the order, but each bag had only 2 items.  I ordered 13 items and I got six bags.  The eggs didn't get a bag.  That's pretty wasteful when everyone is screaming about how bad plastic bags are.

I have to say it's pretty crazy that we have plastic water bottles everywhere, plastic condiment bottles, plastic wrapping around everything ... and they want to charge you for grocery bags so you don't use all that plastic.  Then Walmart puts only TWO items in each bag, so they waste at least 2 or 3 with ever order.   It just makes you shake your head.


At any rate, soon the smell of bacon was wafting through the house from the one last slab I had in the freezer.  Wait .... that doesn't smell very good at all.  If anyone knows the smell of bad meat, it's me.  Oh my gosh that was terrible.  I'm not sure how it got spoiled ... it's cured meat from the freezer ... but when I checked the date, it said May 2023.  Stinky poo!!!  There will be no bacon for Nancy until her next Walmart order.


SO ... let's just throw that Marie Calendar's apple pie in the oven.  I swear there's no better pie.  Even my Mom couldn't make one this good.  Most of it went back in the freezer, but one big piece with caramel sauce became dinner.  The house should smell REALLY nice now!!


Or not .... this morning when I took in a deep breath, hoping for the lovely smell of cinnamon and apples, what I got was rotten meat with a little spice.  That definitely didn't turn out like I expected.  The doors are now open with all the fans going.  It's a fabulous 59 degrees inside and out.  If nothing else, I am quite enjoying the cooler weather.  

No I haven't lifted a finger to organize or clean my house and I have no intention of doing so.  Maybe next month when I'm sure my back is better!!  I'm finally on the mend, thanks to The Road To Tombstone!




9 comments:

  1. So glad you are doing better.
    Pie looks pretty good for store bought.
    Rest and don't over do.
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably not as good as homemade, but I can't make pie crust. This is pretty tasty!

      Delete
  2. The weather is changing. Yesterday evening I had to close all the windows and doors because that nice breeze was a little chilly. Around here both Raley's and Walmart are pretty good with the bag charge. I usually only get charged for 2 bags no matter how many they use. Thank God for books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are crazy here about charging for bags. I swear that gal counts them every time! LOL.

      Delete
  3. Great, now I have a hankering for both apple pie and bacon! Nobody, not even Marie makes a better apple pie Barb does!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet Barb makes a mean one!! I can't make crust worth a darn, so to get a good one, I have to buy it. Marie's are so crispy ... I love them. Not so good for the waistline though.

      Delete
  4. Back in the day, Marie Callender's had two types of frozen pies. One was a "store grade" for places like Raley's, Safeway, etc to sell, and another was a "restaurant grade" sold through food distributor's such as Sysco Foods. In the restaurant back in the '80s we sold an Apple Pie which was loved by people who, when they found out it was Marie Callender's, would buy it at the store...come back in and complain that the store bought pie was not the same as our pie. I had to show one guy the box just to get him to believe that we did not do a 'home made' apple pie, and then explained that they made two types. Stouffer's, now part of Nestle Foods, still does this, I believe. Their lasagna you buy at the store is not as good as the Stouffer's which a restaurant buys from a food distributor like Sysco.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad your ribs/ back are feeling much better & for sure Walmart pick up a smart move.There may be a local lady doing house cleaning in your area at reasonable cost & give you a break.All the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that is an idea I can stand behind. Someone to do the cleaning for me. I'll see if I can find someone.

      Delete