Friday, September 1, 2023

Problem Solving 101

So here we are, still parked under the Blue Moon in FRONT of the gate instead of behind it.  My little brain is fried like that egg on the hot Arizona concrete!  Maybe more scrambled than fried.

The first event of the day was getting Dan to the airport in Fresno for his flight home.  It's a good thing we started early, because I couldn't find a way to get on the freeway.  No kidding, this disaster of a highway improvement is just ridiculous.  It's been going on for what, two years now?  And they STILL have a big narrow mess that causes accidents every single day.  The speed limit is 45 ... people go 60 and above.

So we passed by the only three onramps in town, all of which were closed, as I headed out the surface streets through the worst part of town to the last known freeway entrance.  FINALLY ... we're on the freeway.

I took Dan places he had never been before.  That's a first because he knows every single California road like the back of his hand.  I dropped him off at the airport in plenty of time.  Luckily I didn't get a phone call saying I messed up the reservations.


Back home I was still faced with this problem.  I'm really good at solving math problems ... mechanical problems, not so much.  I considered shooting it ... at least I would have felt better.   


With my handy dandy wrench, I opened the cover to find this.  Good grief ... I had no idea it was so complicated.  As I sat on the ground, I grabbed a chunk of a bush the gardeners didn't pick up and began fishing for cobwebs.  It was completely covered.

I found a reset button, but that did nothing.  There's an on-off switch, but to be honest, I didn't want to get electrocuted.  Does anyone know if I turn the switch off ... or find and flip the breaker, will I be able to open the gate by hand?  

Until I get my rig BEHIND the gate, I won't sleep.  I'm just afraid someone will steal it, along with about $3,000 worth of quilting supplies and quilts.  Why can't things just be easy?


At least this was something I could do with confidence and a good outcome.  I hooked the battery cables back up in my Jeep.  It started right up.  Success!!


Back in the house, I'm one of those people that can't stand clutter.  This was driving me crazy ... and this was the LEAST of it!  I started moving stuff out to the garage for yard sale time, though there wasn't much room left.  Some things went here ... some went there.  Really, the thought of a yard sale makes my blood run cold.


I rearranged the living room furniture, trying to figure out a way to make it work with my desk.  It seems this room is much smaller than that same room in Arizona.  All my longarm plans for this area went out the window.  


So ... the whorehouse couch has a place to live.  I'm sure this will all be rearranged at some point, but at least it's in the right room.


I opened a few more boxes to find most of the longarm parts and pieces, and I'm thinking the dining room might just be the spot.  I've had this table for probably 30 years, with maybe only ten meals served on it.  It's in perfect shape and can be made two feet longer.  I think it's time some big family get some use out of it.  And so the yard sale begins to take shape.  That is NOT going to be fun.


There was one rather frantic moment when I couldn't find any of my checkbooks, all of which live in a small binder.  I finally found them under the sink in the rig.  Who put them there?????  I've a feeling that's going to be a recurring event for the next few days.

Still worried about the trailer, Cooper and I sat on the couch for awhile as he peered out the window.  Suddenly he began barking like crazy and wouldn't stop.  I finally got up to see who might be in the front yard.  

Ahhhhh ..... it's his nemesis Mr. Lizard.  He lays on the concrete and flips his tail, just to irritate the kid.


And so ends the second day of mass confusion.  I guarantee by the end of today, my garbage can will be full to the brim.  It's time to clean house while making dozens of phone calls to see if SOMEONE can fix this darn electric gate!!!



20 comments:

  1. Glad you were able to get Dan to the airport with time to spare! Darn gate! Hope you're able to get it fixed soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Shirley. These mechanical things sure can be a pain.

      Delete
  2. You have your work cut out for you kiddo.
    Hopefully you will get your gate repaired soon.
    Please take breaks in between all your work.
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We think alike Frances! If I get too hot, I run inside and take a break in front of my fan. No use getting sick over it.

      Delete
  3. I don't do garage sales. I just put stuff down at the end of the driveway with my big "FREE" sign and it magically disappears in a day or so. The $$$$ I would get from selling stuff is not worth the aggravation it causes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahahaha I'm laughing because that's EXACTLY what I did last time! I put all those old Halloween decorations out there and they disappeared in an hour.

      Delete
  4. The yard gate, do you have power?πŸ‘ŽπŸ‘. the motor arm attaches to the gated itself Is probably only held on by two bolt. Take them off πŸ”§πŸ”§open the gate put the trailer in reassemble the gate.πŸ› ️πŸ”§ ☑️Then you can attack the problem?πŸ”¨.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes there's power, but even if I removed the arm, it sticks out too far to get the trailer in.

      Delete
  5. There has to be a way to disengage the swing arm on the gate but without really seeing it, it would be hard to tell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly my thought ... and I did think about it ... and today you will see the results.

      Delete
  6. The picture of the gate control box has two , what appear to be cams, just below the sproket and chain. If that is what I think it is it actuates the limit switches for full open or full closed. The switches will have a short arm with a small wheel on the end. Check to see if one of them is stuck . Just a light push on the arm of the switch will free it up . If its the limit switch being stuck , the gate will operate after you free the switch up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are one smart cookie. Today's blog will tell the tale.

      Delete
  7. I was thinking the same thing with the gate...undo the connection to the gate, swing it open, move 5th wheel, close and reconnect. Should only be a few bolts holding it onto the gate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my thought too, but it wouldn't work. The arm stuck out too far to get the rig in.

      Delete
  8. Glad some comments have some information to solve the problem. I myself would just say hell fire and go to bed. I am amazed you are still perking along. I'd be dead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judith ... you make me laugh every time! That's what I did the first night, but I just couldn't sleep. It HAD to get fixed.

      Delete
  9. I hope you can fix that gate. Temporarily, unhooking the chain and moving the gate manually, should be good enough to get your trailer inside. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Doug ... I did finally get it, but it sure took awhile.

      Delete
  10. Nancy, I agree with disconnecting the arm at the gate. Turning the switch off will not give you a shock, but if you are worried that it might, put on a rubber glove or use a stick to flip the switch. Hope you can do that and get your rig inside. I would think any electrician could trouble shoot an electrical problem with the gate and then go from there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely an electrical problem ... and apparently a Nancy problem. I'll explain today.

      Delete