Saturday, September 9, 2023

Mary Mary Quite Contrary

How can one little bone in your back cause so much trouble?  I was waiting at the Chiropractor's office before the OPEN sign turned on.  It's just the biggest annoyance for me!  He can't seem to get it back in place because it's so painful when he tries, I scream UNCLE.  I'm apparently a big wimp when it comes to this stuff.  

SO ... besides the foxy brothers roaming the back yard, the LION patrols his property every night.  I hope he too is looking for mice and gophers!!  So far no skunks, thank goodness.  The first thing I do in the morning is open the door for Cooper and take a big WHIFF before he can go out.  So far all I've smelled is the glorious wafting of garlic on the breeze.  Not far from here is a garlic processing plant that just smells divine.  


Here's a little more about ranch life.  We were a very religious family.  Methodists to be exact.  There were 37 Methodist churches on the Isle of Man where my grandfather came from.  No one ever worked on Sunday and we always went to church.  As you can tell, this was back in the "hat" days.  Hats were required for women.

My mom made all of the dresses and skirts I wore, and Easter was the most special day.  You can tell I probably wore this dress several years in a row ... it was getting rather tight.  See that black rectangle on the wall?  That is the light switch, only not the kind you are familiar with.  

This house was built in the late 1800's and to turn on every light, you either had to reach up and pull the chain, or push the buttons on this plate.  The top button was ON, the bottom button OFF.  


As part of the church family, my Dad sang solos in the choir.  Heck, we ALL sang in the choir.  At least twice a year there were shows put on to demonstrate how to raise your family.  Mostly comedies if I remember right.  Somehow I always got stuck with a part in those plays and was so scared, I could never remember my lines.  

This is Mary, Mary, quite contrary, how does your garden grow ... thus the leaf.  This was probably the best Halloween costume I had come October after one of the shows.  I was usually dressed as an Indian in a gunny sack.  Let me just say there is nothing itchier or worse than wearing a gunny sack that was once full of grain.  I was such a tomboy that my Mom insisted I wear a dress every chance there was.


When it came to food in the house, everything was made from scratch.  Of course I'm so old, that was before boxed cake mix and TV dinners were ever invented.  There was lots of bacon and eggs for breakfast ... we raised the bacon and I gathered the eggs ... which meant everything else we ate was fried in bacon grease.

I don't know how we survived with all that cholesterol!  Fried potatoes and gravy were served with every meal, no matter what it was.  As for something to drink, it was coffee made by dumping grounds into boiling water.  There's nothing like getting a mouthful of coffee grounds.  Hot tea was also served (made the same way) at every meal, because my grandfather who lived with us was English ... and required it.  

Cowboy beans were also served at every meal, sometimes having been reheated five or six times until they were finally gone.  There was no pizza, no frozen dinners, no smoked ribs and no Costco muffins.  Mom could however, make a mean Mac n cheese casserole that I could eat at every meal.  Once in a blue moon, we had chicken because one died or got run over.  NOTHING was wasted.


So when I whip up something for lunch, like these smoked ribs, or the blueberry muffins below, I eat every single bite!!  I have to admit though, butter nowadays, no matter what they tell you, doesn't taste the same at all.


We never had enchiladas or an enchilada casserole like this one I baked yesterday, mostly because we couldn't afford cheese.  We did however, have a green chili egg casserole for Christmas every year.  That was a big treat.

Oh and pies ... Mom could bake a great apple pie.  I don't remember her making any other kind because at every PTA meeting at the school, she was asked to bring that pie.  That was back when parents actually took part in their kids education.  I have no recollection of what they talked about, but we had to go once a month ..... for PIE!!


Mr. Cooper isn't too happy with me not getting on the floor to play with him.  He sulked in the living room for almost two hours before coming back to the couch to snuggle up.  I tried getting on the floor to pop my back, but almost didn't get back up ... so I nixed that idea for the time being.  


I'm in search of a chiropractor that used the drop table, or whatever you call it.  I'm not about to let this keep me down.  

In the meantime, I have a few more cow camp pictures I'll go through and post tomorrow.






14 comments:

  1. Oh, weren't you precious! But no Costco!?!? How could you live? Could you imagine what your grandparents would think walking through that store?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of that. That's more food than they would see in their lifetime!

      Delete
  2. Cute pictures of you Nancy. We sure lived a life style of no boxed anything. All from scratch.
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Remember when cake mixes first came out Frances? They tasted terrible!

      Delete
  3. I grew up with most things homemade. I remember being envious of a girl at school with store bought cookies. Years later, she told me, she was envious of my homemade cookies. :) Kathi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I bet your homemade cookies tasted SO much better, Kathi!!

      Delete
  4. Is your Family Kissack the namesake for Kissack Cove on southern portion of Lake Isabella? I love reading about your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is .... I guess that was the payment for taking our land from us. My uncle also donated the land for the hospital that's there.

      Delete
  5. I remember having those same light switches at Grandma's house in San Jose. Hit the switch to on and then all the lights in the room, which sat on tables or the floor, would need to be controlled by their individual switches attached to the light.

    Nice, cute dress-up there.

    Have you thought about temporarily using a cane or walker to help keep pressure off your back???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried that ... it actually makes my back worse. I'm hoping it pops back in place soon .. I'm getting tired of this!!

      Delete
  6. I"m older than you are, and I think we were lucky that there weren't "processed" foods available. They are alluring!!! And tired women, the sex usually in charge of cooking, can't really be blamed for taking advantage of them. But being without gave young bones and flesh an advantage......food was usually made at home. From "scratch." Though there was such a thing as spam which my father banned from the house due to his having had too much in WWII. Ha. (I like it.Can't help myself. But I like a Big Mac too. Ha.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judith ... you eat SPAM??? Just kidding. I think once in a blue moon we found chunks of spam in our fried potatoes, but it didn't happen very often. We were a BEEF family ... and probably very lucky we had the choice.

      Delete
  7. Mr. Ed In 1884 those were the first light switches to come out about the early 50s they switched over to toggle they still make those push button switches. Usually when retrofitting an early 50s house to be a thetic, they install the push button switches . You’d be amazed, going to a lot of old buildings pre-50 you’ll find them everywhere However, they added the word antique so they could charge $25 apiece For those bad boys. However, they’re up to electrical code standards today Unlike the old style.
    I’m glad that wasn’t my family’s Tradition back then I didn’t like casseroles then. Ever … A verbal rule to the GF 👎 NEVER

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're too funny. We didn't have many casseroles either, but you have to admit, it's a good way to get rid of leftovers. The wiring to those switches was a nightmare ... the mice ate it until it shorted out.

      Delete