Monday, December 19, 2022

Tulle Fog ... Wet and Cold

There was again no patio sitting early in the morning.  The tulle fog has taken care of that activity for the next few days.  It's something about the ground temperature, the amount of moisture and the dew point.  I never wanted to be a weatherman.  

For those who aren't familiar with it, it's like a soft rain of micro droplets that soak anything and everything, including you if you walk in it for even a few seconds.  This isn't the result of rain, it's from the fog.  It was about 1:00 when the fog finally lifted.


Not the best of pictures, but if you shine a light into it, you can actually see the water droplets.  You know how the earth moves when you are taking a picture of stars and they make star trails?  That's what this is, only it's water droplets making these long strings.  If you see it in person, you see teeny tiny water droplets dancing around in the breeze, even when there is no breeze.  Almost like snow, only minuscule.


It makes driving feel like you are in a waterfall.  You can't see but maybe 50 feet ahead of you.  People don't see the water accumulating on their windshield, so they don't turn on their wipers.  That usually makes for big wrecks.  


We did make one stop on the way back from the National Cemetery.  Remember Mr. Wolfsen who donated all that land?  He has a tiny butcher shop in a nearby tiny town that makes the best beef jerky ever!  There are a couple of other traditions that go along with placing the wreaths.

One of our members who has since passed away, LOVED the breakfast burritos at McDonalds.  I know, not my favorite either, but every year we stop in to have a burrito in his honor.  On the way back, the butcher shop is a required stop also.  We try to support the man who did so much for our veterans.

And believe me, it's not cheap!!  These four apple pork sausages were a whopping $19, but lucky me, they were on sale.  The beef jerky ... cut the perfect thickness and with the perfect amount of flavor, will pull your teeth from your head.  It's worth the risk with every bite.  GOOD STUFF!!


Later in the day, the fog did lift for a couple of hours, so I took off to my favorite fuel station.  Diesel is still not cheap around here. You know how it is, no matter what they charge, people will still drive, so they keep it as high as possible.  I dropped a quick $150.00.


I have to admit, I'm not really a sausage fan.  The shop had three crockpots full of different kinds to try, and I liked all three.  I just have trouble getting past the casing.  However ... I love corned beef ... so when I saw these two sausages in their case, I had to try them.  Yup ... corned beef sausages.  Of course I have no idea how to cook them.  High heat?  Low heat?  I figured they were done when smoke came rolling out of the barbecue.

Wasn't I surprised to find they had a chunk of potato in the middle.  Even more delicious!!   In my defense, I only ate one and saved one for breakfast.  SO good!!  I figure this evens out my 79 cent pasta dinner.


Stuffed to the brim as the fog rolled back in at 3:00, I finished up this quilt top and put it in the to-quilt pile.


Then I started on this one.  Immediately I called Patty and told her to throw this pattern away.  It looks easy, right?  There is sewing, cutting, squaring, cutting, flipping, sewing and squaring again.  And it's still not together, so there's more sewing to come.  I guess it will keep me busy, but I was looking for something fast and easy.  This is NOT it!!


In the meantime, I'm checking on that ice cream order for the RV Rally.  It's always so hard to get ahold of someone from Costco, so I imagine my entire day will involve lots of phone calls to Southern California.  But right now .... I'm having a corned beef sausage for breakfast!!



12 comments:

  1. This area is not known for its low fuel prices but I did see diesel for 3.98 the other day. Still way too expensive but a lot cheaper than I have seen it in a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm laughing because I don't think diesel has EVER been $3.98 here before!!! I won't get into the reasons.

      Delete
  2. When I was a kid, we lived on a typical block in Suburban Sacramento area...new housing area era 1962 when a four bedroom, 2.5 bath house with living room and a family room and a laundry room, on a 1/4 Acre which mom and dad bought for $19,999 (the builders were splitting up and reduced the price to unload joint holdings). Although there was a street light right across the street from us, we could not see the houses directly across the street due to the heavy fog! Made for great football games, and of course, hide-and-go-seek! And this type of fog would commonly occur between late November through early March.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hide and seek in the fog. I bet THAT was fun!! and COLD.

      Delete
  3. I was never a fan of the fog. I remember fog every single day for a couple of weeks at a time. The never ending wetness....getting cold to the core and not able to get warm. But....sometimes I did like walking outside and feeling those water drops on my face. That was kind of cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes ... no sun for many days. That did not make for happy people.

      Delete
  4. Next time try putting the sausage in the air fryer comes out perfect two

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting photos of tulle fog. They looked like they came from a science lab! Good job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fun to sit outside and watch, but only if you are under cover. It's almost like rain.

      Delete
  6. The sausage look good, not sure how I’d feel about a potato inside. Riley loves jerky but it’s hard to find any that isn’t paper thin and requires little chewing. Beautiful quilt but way too much work for me. I can’t sew or cut straight, therefore all of my efforts would have waves. Lol

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Riley would love this jerky .. it's a quarter inch thick the entire 12".

      Delete