Wednesday, December 14, 2022

Dressed To The Nines!

 I'm counting on my fingers, just how much sleep I got last night.  It was a one hander!  That means I'm a little slow on the uptake this morning.  It's a chilly 34 again, which means my heater ran most of the night.  I'm a lucky girl ... I have TWO big heaters that sound like jet's are using my hallway to take off into the wild blue yonder.  

Having been born and raised on a ranch,  nights were quiet and peaceful.  Here .... not so much!  So here I am, bleary eyed, making sure there are no critters in the back yard before letting Cooper out.  This is the routine every morning and night.  Yes I have a doggie door, but it has two problems.  One, Cooper refuses to push the door open.  What can I say, he's a wimp.  Second ... can you imagine what would happen if there WAS something in the yard?  Now THAT would be a nightmare!


That's how I discovered this.  Being the sleuth that I am, this is how I figured out what the gardeners were doing.  They forgot to cover their tracks!


I didn't do much while waiting for the hour of Bingo.  Even though I was sure I had another bag-o-muffins in the freezer for Jonathan, I couldn't find them.  Yes, the parrot is just as spoiled as the dog.  Actually, it's hard to get birds to eat what is good for them.  Same for the dog, come to think of it.  

These are corn muffins have all kinds of stuff mixed in to keep Jonathan living to a ripe old age.  The number one is sweet potato.  I tried brussels sprouts, but he spit it out.  I guess it's good to have a discerning palate.  He gets half of one a day, so I'm always baking.


Having heard nothing from the painters, I was off to Bingo early.  This is the only time of year I ever frequent a certain store that has gift cards for those outrageously expensive coffee drinks.  Three of the gals who help me the most stop in there often.  I figured it would make a great THANK YOU for helping me at Bingo.  

This is the last night until after the New Year.  YAY ... a reprieve from the castle peasants.  It was the usual night.  In spite of my asking over and over ... they still try to use credit cards.  I finally put up a sign in huge red letters ... NO TAPPING.  Sure enough ... the girl came up and tapped before I could stop her.  Those dollars seem to go off into LaLa Land and we never see them.  One of these days I'll check it out ... but NOT today.


I was served up my usual plate of heartburn.  Yeah ... it looks like someone already ate it.  Sorry ... I was trying to eat fast before the next onslaught of customers.  It's a huge Costco-ish chili dog, no bun.  On this night it was cold chili and a barely warm dog.  I admit, what's left here went in the trash.  


You never know what you are going to see at Bingo, and this night was no exception.  One girl came in wearing a onesie of EPIC proportions ... a WHITE one.  It said something all over the stretchy SUPER skin tight apparel (think spandex), but I was so blinded I couldn't see what it was.  You GO girl!!

Then the most gorgeous lady showed up in her mink covered long jacket with a fabulous mink hat that looked like this one.  She had a fabulous personality to match!  There were also a few ugly Christmas sweaters, but I didn't point those out.  You know, it's Christmas!!


At last I was out the door and heading home.  I was surprised as I walked to the back door to see a can of paint sitting there.  It wasn't there when I left, so I imagine the painters stopped by.  I guess I'll catch them later.

I've got a whole day of rest ... sort of.  I'm off to the grocery store to buy some of the rally stuff and get it packed up.  Then I need one small piece of fabric to finish a quilt.  I fully expect to spend the rest of the day on the couch because tomorrow is yet another Elks initiation.  That's code for tuxedo night.  

This Saturday however, is one of my favorite Elks traditions.  I think about 30 of us will be heading out to all the local cemeteries, including the National Cemetery in Santa Nella, to lay wreaths on the graves of our veteran members.  Wreaths Across America makes them and the Elks pay for them.  I think we have close to 300 this year.  I better go find my rubber boots and my ski parka!


12 comments:

  1. Our neighbors have a doggie door to let their pup in and out but the other night another neighbor's dog decided to use it at 2am in the morning and jumped on their bed scaring the crap out of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that would definitely be a rude awakening!! YIKES!!

      Delete
  2. Amazing what some people will wear to go places! Onesies, pajamas geez! We did Wreaths Across America for many years in Dixon, CA. It got so huge with people coming out, traffic was a nightmare. Now I just purchase wreaths for them and for our grandsons. It is a sight to see for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the same here, only we had to drive an hour to where they distributed the wreaths, then wait in line for an hour. Now we pay to have them shipped directly to the lodge. SO much easier ... we get to drive past the long lines.

      Delete
  3. Saw where they are saying the snow-pack is at 200% of normal so far for this time of the year...good thing! I know those ski resorts are just loving the idea of a good Christmas ski season, "IF" people can afford it. Forget which site I was looking at but it said an "all-day pass" is like $120 per person!!!! Heck, who do they think they are, Disneyland/Disney World????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ski resorts are VERY happy ... and yes they are charging a little more ... $109 for one day. Seniors are I think $80. I heard Disneyland here was $258 per person per day. I used to pay $350 for an all year pass. Pretty crazy!! They never used to charge for parking, but I guess they do now. I'll skip Disneyland until they change their outlook.

      Delete
  4. All you have to do is type or speak in Wreaths across America, in your area or location, Feel free to volunteer They did for you

    ReplyDelete
  5. A friend and I used to stay with these older folks for a few weeks every year, in Oregon, out in the boonies, Troy, OR., until they pasted away. We did all their honey does, like get the firewood in for the year, put roofs on and so on. One day I said you sure spoil your dogs and she looked at me and said, I spoil you too as she was a great cook and yes, she did spoil us too. I shut up and only gave her a big smile. :O)
    Bobseyes.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How nice of you to do such a good thing for those people. It's nice to have your cooking skills appreciated, even if it is just your puppies ... or a parrot ... or the guy who comes to help you!!

      Delete
  6. I didn't know tapping meant, but I won't do it if you say not to. I think you have the record for the longest comment on your post. Glad you get a holiday from your Elk duties. You need it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can "tap" your credit card on most machines now, making it a little faster (instead of inserting it in the machine). We don't allow that because we don't have an account set up for it. Or so they tell me.

      Delete
  7. Yup ... been doing that ever since I got this phone, maybe 5 years ago? Except all I have to do is hit one button and talk. My problem now is trying to get that feature to integrate with my truck GPS.

    ReplyDelete