Friday, June 29, 2018

The Queen Of Hairspray

Here we are again, not so comfortably sitting on the floor to keep the Master of the House quiet.  He was up searching for the ball at 3:20 this morning.  The good news is he's healing up very nicely.  In his every day running around, you would never know his back was hurt.

Always a little timid unless you were near his food dish, he has become even more so down the hallway near my sewing room.  I wonder if he hurt his back slipping on the floor?  I think I will lay out some rugs and see if that makes any difference.  At any rate, he's on the mend and I've lowered his meds by half.

One amazing thing has happened, my Vet has called me every day since Cooper left the hospital to see how he was doing and make suggestions on the levels of medication.  NICE!!  I really appreciate that above and beyond service.
While sitting and watching boring television, lots of things go through your mind.  I am and always have been the Queen of Hairspray ... and I found myself running low on stock.  Actually, I should have stock in this company!  This is what I ordered from Walmart.

When you have the world's worst hair, you need product .... LOTS of product.  It doesn't help that I was raised in the 50's and 60's.  The first thing I was introduced to on the school bus was a toothbrush.  Trust me, there is nothing better in the world to rat your hair to the ceiling, than a toothbrush.  

Although apparently not allowed at home, the hour's ride to school offered plenty of time to rat your "do" into mammoth proportions.  At the time I had long hair in a pony tail that I could sit on.  For whatever reason, my mother decided to cut it all off one day.  That's when the toothbrush became a permanent fixture in my life until the age of 22 when I found the perfect ratting comb, which I still use.
These are not pictures of me, but the hairdos are exactly the style I wore.  Rat rat rat ... scrunch scrunch scrunch and spray the heck out of it.  Once you had it piled up high and smoothed to perfection, you required something with the sticking power of Gorilla Glue to keep it looking like the perfect Roman helmet.
If you were lucky and had a friend who could make curls, this would be your "do" for the day.  I was able to pull this style off a couple of times by myself, but mostly I was the curler, not the curlee.  There was nothing we couldn't stick together with Aqua Net hairspray.  
Dirty hair was always preferable to freshly washed because it held together better.  When we finally did wash our hair, Tame creme rinse kept the tangles out while you rolled every strand on hard plastic rollers.  Sleeping on those was literally a pain, but we did it anyway.  If you were rich, you had a bonnet hairdryer and didn't require the overnight torture.

The next morning, rat rat rat, smooth and spray the dickens out of it.  The more spray the better!   Even when you thought the can was empty, I could get three more hair days by changing the angle of spray.  That's how I became the Queen of Hairspray.  This hair wouldn't move even in a 50 mph wind.
Old habits die hard.  I've never been able to give up the pouffy hair nor the hairspray.  "Natural" just doesn't work for me.  It's been hard to go through the long straight natural hair era.  No worries though, because everything that went around, comes around again, and soon these hairstyles will be in vogue.  I'll be right up front with my can of spray at the ready now that I have received my latest stockpile.






10 comments:

  1. I remember a story from our babysitter in the early 60s. Her friend had live bugs crawling in her unwashed pouffed up hair and had to have it cut very, very short. I was 6 or 7 years old and it grossed me out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good grief!!! That's CRAZY! I pouffed mine a lot, but I washed it often enough not to have boarders.

      Delete
  2. My hair was always too fine to rat well. But it was long so I did have curls like that black & white picture for our wedding. I felt lucky that my fine hair was very straight during the years other girls were ironing theirs, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine is the same Linda ... very fine. It wasn't easy to rat, but I got it done! LOL

      Delete
  3. In so remember thos hair styles from a few years ago, interesting how you did it. Just keep the hairspray going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hairspray industry will never go broke with me around!

      Delete
  4. Just doing some catching up. You are a good mom to those puppies. Not sure I would sleep on the floor get the air mattress.
    Big Sexy Hair one of my 3 favorite hair sprays. In my mind it adds the pouf. Never did get into the ratting thing...was more of a part down the middle, straight hair to the waist girl...though did sleep in plastic curlers the size of coke cans to get that look...lol If only we would have had blow dries and flat irons back then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the pink curlers, then the black spiky ones before moving on to soup cans. Thank heavens someone invented the curling iron!!

      Delete
  5. Hilarious post, Nancy! i never ratted either nor used hair spray. My hair is so fine and stick straight. I didnt like my hair until i learned to look after it myself. i remember taking control in my teens and cutting it like Cheryl Tiegs style. Remember her?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, back in the day, I'm glad "a little dab will do ya " from Brylcream was all I had to worry about.

    ReplyDelete