Monday, June 25, 2018

So ............ I'm Back On The Floor

I love my puppies.  Whatever it takes to keep them happy and comfortable, that's what I do.  Imagine my grief when I discovered Cooper had hurt his back.  My guess is jumping off the couch, which he does 20 times a day.  THIS however, was the day he got hurt.  Actually it was Saturday afternoon.

If you could see the look of pain on his face ... he could hardly stand up.  He barely moved, sleeping uncomfortably all Saturday evening.  Sunday morning, he was even worse.  There are no emergency Vets around here ... everyone is closed up tight on Sundays.  I gave him one of Jessie's pain pills from her surgery, hoping he would sleep while I was gone.
I would have canceled on the waffles, but discovered not only was I to MIX them, I was to BAKE them to order.  Really, how hard can it be to mix up Krusteaz pancake mix, just adding in extra stuff.  The hard part was figuring out how much of that stuff we needed to use up the five pound bag.  

I scrounged up some oil and eggs (16 of them) along with a large whisk.  Batter done.  Now for the test run in the two fancy dancy commercial waffle irons.  You know, those kind you turn over to bake.  Turn them BACK over and lift the lid to discover a beautiful undercooked, NOT brown OR crispy waffle.  

Waaaaay back in the old days, my Mom told me to let it cook until there was no more steam coming out the side.  I ignored the flashing light and piercing beep, letting them cook another 45 seconds.  They came out perfect.  That's when I came up with the idea to show someone ELSE how to do it so I could go home to my poor puppy.

It was an amazing brunch ... cooked to order omelets (and boy did they look tasty), sausage, hash browns (remember the left overs from the LAST breakfast?) biscuits and gravy with all the condiments you could imagine from homemade salsa to strawberries and whipped cream.  I didn't eat a thing.  I was too worried about Cooper.
I got home to find a puppy that could barely walk.  I instantly became frantic.  I made a bed of quilts on the floor by the couch.  I carried him outside to the grass, then carried him back in.  He curled up on the quilts and went to sleep, but every time I moved, he raised his head.  

I finally put the couch cushions on the floor, sitting right next to him.  He slept for four hours.  I slept for about 30 minutes, propped up against the couch.  Having already talked to Nurse Patty, I found a heating pad and laid it gently against his back.  He refused all food and water and I became a blubbering mess!!

Finally time for bed, he wouldn't settle down unless I was on the floor next to him, so I propped myself up against the couch again with one leg hanging over the coffee table and tried to doze off.  Thank goodness he slept like a rock.  

We were up at 1:00 am, with him still not feeling any better.  Bleary eyed, I took him outside again, then back on the floor just waiting for time to pass until I could call the Vet.  

He woke me up at 3:30 as he plopped his ball in my lap.  What??  NO ball games!  You're hurt really bad.  He was having none of it, so I gathered up all his balls and dumped them in the sink.  There are two times he lays quietly at my feet.  One is when I'm on the computer, and one is when I'm sewing.  

I've been surfing the web since 3:45 and plan on continuing until 7:30 when the Vet's office opens up.  It looks like he's on the upswing.  I almost hate to take a chance of re-injuring him by going to the Vet, so I'll call first.

It's always something with these kids and I seem to be having a rather hard time of it.  Hopefully he is on the mend and I'll be able to keep on schedule.  In the meantime, there can be no stairs in his life, so I'm hunting up pieces of plywood to make ramps up on the couch both in the house and in the rig.  It is NOT my plan to sleep on the floor again!!  Time will tell.







6 comments:

  1. Glad he is starting to feel better, lets hope it continues, and you can stay off the floor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must say the floor is not so fun!! It reminds me of tent camping.

      Delete
  2. Try this stuff from Amazon, $29: ActivFlex, Best Glucosamine for Dogs, Safe Arthritis Pain Relief, All Natural Hip & Joint Supplement for Dogs, Improves Hip Dysplasia, Chondroitin, Turmeric, MSM for Dogs, Joint Support 120 Soft Chews

    Bubba hurt his ACL back in 2012, vet said, "We could operate, or you can give him Glucosamine Chondroitin with MSM. He got better within 9 months...operation would have cost $4,000. Just starting giving Bubba and Skruffy this stuff above, they eat it easily with their meal, and it seems to work just fine. Skruffy too has hurt herself and refuses to jump up on bed, chair, etc...but then gets over it in a day or two...sometimes three.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll order it Dave. Thank you. Anything not to have to go through this again. Boy it saved you a bundle!!

      Delete
  3. Oh poor Cooper. Thanks Dave for the info. I've made note and will order some to have for Clemson. he is fine so far but has the fragile body of most cockapoos.
    Good luck Nurse Nancy!

    ReplyDelete