Wednesday, June 13, 2018

I Can't Feel My Feet!!

The LAST DAY of the fair and thankfully, the last day of food prep for the masses.  I arrived at the fairgrounds bright and early at 7:30, driving right up to the door like I was somebody.  No quarter mile walk for this kid.  

I discovered the Sheriff already hard at work at the grill.  Today is move-em-out day in the livestock pens and early morning kids need food to get them going.  I was amazed to see Vern frying up racks of chopped up bacon, linguisa and sausage before dumping a bathtub load of potatoes on the grill.  I said hello and immediately looked for a chair to confiscate.
Pretty soon the crowds started showing up in record numbers.  As soon as the kids got back and showed Dad what they were eating, they were ordered back to acquire more of these burritos bigger than frisbees.  

We started out with only four people.  I took orders and handled the cash, these two assembled the goodies and one other lady poured sodas.  We were a lightning fast greased machine!!  There was an occasional hiccup when we ran out of linguisa (loved by all around this neck of the woods) until we found something like 200 more in the back fridge.  Amazingly, there was only one wrong order.
As lunchtime neared, I got out all the burger fixings hoping for a break in the action so I could rest my little feet.  I wore my best running shoes and scooted a large black mat under me.  I'm sure it helped, but not much.  By now, I couldn't feel my feet at all!!  
Finally, the calvary arrived to help out.  One little lady.  Apparently all those other people with sore feet like mine just stayed home.  By mid afternoon with no one else on the horizon, I switched to the other side of the table.  I helped the cook assemble the boats and put together the orders, dressed them with fixin's and hollered out ORDER UP!  

Four of us ran the place all day long and into the night.  In spite of repeated tweets, no one showed up to help.  Lunch for me was a bag of cheetos on the fly.  Although I was hoping for an amazing cheeseburger Elks style, loaded with bacon, onions and mushrooms, it was not to be.  There just wasn't any time, so dinner was the same ... cheetos!!  I took a seat as often as possible.
Fourteen hours later my feet screamed uncle and I reluctantly left.  I hated to leave only three people for another two hours until midnight when the fairgrounds would close down.  

My plan to eat a disgustingly high calorie ice cream creation went by the wayside.  I was either too busy or too tired.  I should make up for that today!!

Monday I could hardly get out of bed.  I felt worse than after running a 26 mile marathon in the hills of San Francisco.  I fed the dogs and crashed on the couch.  A couple hours later, I fed ME and hugged the couch even more.  I've STILL got muscles I didn't know I had!!  Running a restaurant will not EVER be on my to-do list!!

I'll give you the rundown on another night of fun and excitement at the Magic Kingdom of Bingo in tomorrow's blog.  The couch is calling my name!!








8 comments:

  1. The hours on your feet are killers, but so far you have survived, just barely.
    And people think restaurant work is easy, haha.. Good advise don't run a restaurant you know from experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea just how hard it was George. High five to you for doing it!!

      Delete
  2. Only one wrong order - that in itself is a record.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was amazed that we didn't mess things up more!! It was one little (or rather big) burrito. We split it four ways. LOL

      Delete
  3. I'll tell you another little trick,,, find a shop that gives a pedicure,, even so it cost. they give a great leg massage from the knee (s) down soooo gooood
    And you can get two good things for the price of one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats RIGHT!!! There's a place here that uses hot rocks. GREAT idea!!

      Delete
  4. Been there done that...hard to describe how HOT it gets in a kitchen in the Central Valley during the summer! Shame on those who did not come to help....kick them down to the Moose Club. (LOL)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Dave! That would be a long fall ... I don't even know if we have a Moose Lodge around here!! Next time I'll get the Bingo guys to help.

      Delete