Friday, December 1, 2017

CRISIS AVERTED!!

I'm not really good in crisis situations, especially when it comes to 2500 angry senior citizens who didn't get their ice cream.  Every year I travel to Indio California for the Western Motor Home Association rally at the fairgrounds.  My job is to acquire all the ice cream for the two day Social.  Did I mention the ice cream is FREE?

Maybe five years ago, someone forgot to ORDER the ice cream.  Just being helpful, and one of the few with a smart phone, I called to confirm the obvious.  BIG mistake.  I ended up with the job, which means every year, in spite of these beautiful sunsets, I stress out terribly making sure there are no angry mobs at the rally.  Quit you say?  But then our club doesn't get primo asphalt parking.
Even photographing these beautiful creatures doesn't curb the high blood pressure every single year!!  Schwans delivers the goods, but only because the Manager of the facility in Riverside agrees to.  The Managers name and phone number seem to change every year, making it crazy hard for me to contact someone.  
Go elsewhere you say?  But WHERE?  Costco would be a great solution if we had a way to store 220 boxes of bars and 60 gallons of ice cream.  We don't.  So you can imagine my meltdown when after sending in the order and waiting two months, I heard not a peep from Southern California.  Time to consider Plan B.  A trip to Costco to check ice cream prices.

I never go to Costco.  It always breaks my piggy bank and I can never eat food for 15 before it spoils.  In this case, it's an emergency.  I dusted off my card and hit the gift laden aisles before coming to frozen foods.  That's when the phone call came.  It was Amadeo, returning my call after 58 days and three emails.

He promised the ice cream would be there if we agreed to pay for all we ordered.  In the past, for some dumb reason, they have only charged us for what left their truck, no matter how much we ordered.  Crisis averted.  Plan A is back on line.

Unfortunately, I'm now knee deep in taste testing, lunch really, as I wander around the store looking for pancake mix for the Indio breakfast.  That's when I spotted THIS!!  Ohhhhh this is a bad thing!  I LOVE these little morsels of deliciousness.  I gave it a big hug when I saw "4 packs of 10".
I picked up a few other items including razors, face cream, pancake mix, syrup, two Christmas present shirts and vitamins, amounting to a whopping $339 charge on my account.  THAT'S why I don't go to Costco.  I soothed my bruised piggy bank with a pan of cheddar bay biscuits for dinner.  
No, I didn't eat the whole pan, but I COULD have.  That's when I received the SECOND call from Schwan's Manager, the one I've left six messages for with no response.  It was hard to project a sweet wonderful voice to the man who had caused me so much stress in the last month, but I did.  I'm a good little actress.  Both told me the ice cream would be there.  I'm counting on it, but I'll have Plan B set up and ready to go, just in case.

Crises averted ....... for now!!





6 comments:

  1. Nice that you are so lucky getting things taken care of hope it all works out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. It's pretty nice to help out, plus I've met a lot of nice people along the way.

      Delete
  3. Volunteer for $339. Somebody got your sucker shirt waiting for you
    Minus the biscuits

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But there's always so much good stuff in Costco!!!!

      Delete