Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Windows ... Mine Need Cleaning

Did you ever wonder who comes up with the names of things?  And why they called it that?  I don't, simply because I've got too much stuff in my tiny brain already.  When you talk Windows, I always think "mine need to be washed".  

When my friend called to say a package I ordered had arrived (still no mailbox and some things can't be shipped to P O boxes), she asked me about Windows on her computer.  It was a really long time ago I had to deal with THAT kind of window.

When I first went to work for the County, the computer was housed in a room as big as my house.  You had to put on a coat to enter, since they kept it at a lovely 45 degrees.  We had huge desk-like contraptions that held a monitor and a large square box, which we stuffed with three floppy disks, one at a time since there was only one slot.  Thirty minutes later we would insert a blank disk, where we would save all the data.

When Windows came along, computers had progressed, giving us one screen with many windows into the programs we wanted to use.  It was pretty simple back then ... nowadays it's MUCH more complicated.  So when my friend asked me to help her get 5,000 pictures off her old broken machine and put them on her new laptop, I agreed.  How hard can it be?  I used Windows for over 30 years.  I've got this!!
Well at least I got the folder open where all her pictures were.  I blame it all on Windows since where you find things has changed so much over the years.  Nothing is where it used to be, except Control Alt Delete ... my favorite key stroke.  Delete Delete Delete!!!

Here's the thing ... she would hook up her phone to the computer and it would automatically download every one of her 5,000 pictures ... EVERY SINGLE TIME.  Will she just delete those folders?  Heavens no ... there might be ONE picture that she wants to save.  

That's when I discovered she probably has well over 50,000 pictures on her computer.  No wonder it doesn't work.  So the first step was getting her phone settings straight and going through those 5,000 pictures.  The second step was to go on her old computer and gingerly survey one folder at a time, moving those images she wants to save to a NEW folder, then just deleting the old folder completely.  It's MUCH faster that way.  Still, a pretty daunting task!!

Why not just use a hard drive, copy everything and move it to her new computer?  For one, her old computer is too old for that, and she would then have the same mess on her new one.

The third step will be to copy those NEW folders to a thumb drive, then download them on her new computer.  While surveying the damage and how to make this happen a little faster, something dawned on us.  Do you treasure the pictures of your Grandparents?  Do you like to thumb through your baby pictures?  Or maybe your vacation pictures?  Well here's the thing ... your kids and grandkids will never be able to do that, since no one has pictures printed any more.  Photo albums are a thing of the past and how many times have you gone through the pictures on your computer?

Here's Diane's solution to that problem.  She is taking the best of the best pictures, going through her "windows" and having books made online.  It's really rather inexpensive and her family is crazy about them.  I thought that was a pretty good idea and the perfect Christmas gift.

The other thing she does is create her Christmas cards online, using some of her pictures.  It happens the one above is a water color painting ... my next project, since I STILL haven't found macrame cord.  Maybe I could have them done by NEXT Christmas.  If not, that's your Christmas card!!  Merry Merry!!!

I'm going to go contemplate washing my windows.






9 comments:

  1. Amazing how computers have evolved over the years, I use windows for years and git frustrated and tried a Mac back in 2009,I am hooked just seems to work so slick.
    Going through photos is a daunting task , but we deed to cull them occasionally .
    Merry, Merry to you as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I moved to a Mac many years ago and I love it too. I definitely need to delete some of my photos and may look into books. At least people would be more apt to see some of the cool places I've been!!

      Delete
  2. And off-topic subject
    Wow found a new recipe,,, pork ribs smothered in barbecue sauce and sauerkraut for my Instant pot
    Hint,,, Just drain the sauerkraut and rinse twice to get salt out )
    I'm not adventurous enough to put brussels sprouts in there,,, sorry


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another off topic question
      Here's a foodie question need help
      In Japan they have what they call bento boxes
      There main ingredient could be chicken pork beef or vegetables
      One of the main bed ingredients is ground cauliflower with rice with rice vinegar and teriyaki sauce there is another ingredient that is edible (and not a liquid )but I don't remember what it is,,,,,, does anybody know ?

      Delete
    2. Sauerkraut with ribs? That's a weird one. I bet it will be much better than sprouts.

      Delete
    3. Did you get my message about tamagoyaki or maybe it was tempura.

      Delete
  3. OK on topic subject how did windows get its name
    The first GUI-based version of its operating system was launched in 1985 and it was named Windows 1.0 – internally codenamed Interface Manager. Microsoft actually named it after the rectangular “Windows” which were (and still) used to display content on the screen. The name was simple and broad.
    Pretty cool anyways why do you not get a hard drive back up you can get them in multi size terabyte units once you dump it on the external hard drive
    What's your on an external hard drive you can download particular pictures you want to a thumb flash drive,
    You could have a flash drive for as many years as you have pictures
    It is time consuming but she could catalog them With nametags on the drives for every individual person (makes it easy to find)
    Were the Extertal hard drive holds all of them as the master


    Fortunately apples system you can only dump the cookies and history, but it does not have a D frag Setting ,,, BUT Unfortunately on Windows systems one needs to defrag the unit occasionally along with dumping cookies and history

    Once you put the pictures in Apple computer they usually make their own albums
    Apple computers use albums as Windows uses boulders
    The other thing is you could upload and download via Bluetooth to your phone

    Note
    In your case your Nikon camera can also Bluetooth to your computer no need for the cord once you peard , all you need to do is turn it on and set it next to The computer will upload it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe defrag will help Diane's computer. Actually my camera won't download via bluetooth but the newer ones do!!

      Delete
  4. I would have suggested remove the old hard drive, make it an external drive to the new computer the copy the desired pictures to the new computer just as you/she did to the created folder. The file system is a little different on Windows 10. Barbara

    ReplyDelete