Sunday, December 3, 2017

Antique Quilts

I've tried many hobbies over my almost 70 years on this planet and basically, only two have stuck.  I would like to add cooking to that, but we all know how THAT works out.  Sewing is probably numero uno.

We didn't have much money on the ranch when I was a kid, so Mom made all our clothes.  You can't imagine the embarrassment of wearing a too big, too long, red bell skirt to grammar school.  I think at about 9 years old, I asked her to show me how to sew.  Other than showing me how to thread the machine, I was on my own.

It was many years before I became good at fitting things, like the three piece suits I made for the detective.  When I was able to get back into the horse business, the sewing went south.  Everything comes around again, because with the horses gone, I'm back into sewing, which keeps me out of the refrigerator .... sometimes at least!!

I loved this little bunny I saw at a fabric store in Clovis California.  Instantly I signed up for the class, having regrets as I drove 75 minutes both ways to get there and back.  It was so much fun, I bought four more animals, all of which have never left their plastic case.  You have to have flowery material to make these cut-out-and-iron-on masterpieces.  Unfortunately, flowers are not in style right now.
My quilter finished both the rabbit (isn't it amazing?) and the one shown here.  It took me three days to sew the binding on this one, all by hand.  I was pretty pleased when she said she could not tell just how these blocks were sewn together, in spite of her 40 years experience.  
This one has a long history.  I have no idea where the pattern came from, but I purchased the material in the 70's, making it officially an antique.  It was going to be king sized, kind of African looking, to go with a lion picture I had.  Not very "cowboy" for sure!! 

Divorce landed this unfinished quilt in a cedar chest for thirty years.  I discovered it while rummaging in the garage for a book.  I don't have any of the fabric to complete the king size, so it will remain as is.  I like this simple pattern so much, I may try to recreate it in another color.  Everything old is new again!!  It just needs binding.
While waiting for my sewing machine to cool down after so much use, I made a pumpkin cheesecake, just to see if I remembered how.  It's super simple since it calls for crushed oreo cookies and a couple tablespoons of butter for the crust.  Can you tell I like whipped cream?  I was really trying to see just how high I could make it go without falling over.  This, by the way, was ALL I had for dinner.  
My quilter Ann called with one more quilt ready to pick up.  I have three in the closet waiting to visit her.  I know, that's a lot, but it gives me something to do when I'm not on the road.  Otherwise I'd go stark raving mad from sitting around too much.


6 comments:

  1. I think you need to go rummaging around in the garage more often, seems like you got a lot of treasures in there
    Is stark raving mad anything like a conniption fit,,,, my mother always said I was going to drive her to one,, but I never seen it,,, I guess I was too young to drive.
    Now a hissy fit I know firsthand, it's not a good thing to see,,, that's why there now Called X's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's lot of antiques in my garage, including me on occasion!!

      Delete
  2. Nothing like those old antique quilts, Suzie has made one for my daughter and she has several from her grandmother as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have one never completed by my Great Aunt Lou. It's made from scraps and so old I'm almost afraid to touch it. One of these days I'll finish it for her.

      Delete
  3. Clovis? Heck, you might as well driven all the way to Arizona! (I know, you have a rally coming up)

    ReplyDelete