Saturday, December 9, 2017

Watch Out For Infomercials

I never EVER watch those infomercials on television that take up at least 35 of my 70 viewable channels.  Remember the sandwich maker?  Just put a piece of bread in the bottom, fill it with stuff (usually including bacon and cheese), put another piece of bread on top and VOILA!!  You actually have a sandwich that would have been better cooked in a frying pan.

Then there are the ones selling the magic face cream of the year that is going to take AGES off your face.  You will have NO lines or wrinkles for a measly $150 a jar.  I've tried them all.  The only thing that will take those lines away is plastic surgery, and even that can go bad!!

As a photographer however, it's a different story.  They don't have infomercials on television, they have them on your phone .... on Facebook.  Photographers will buy anything to help take a better picture.  As you can imagine, it's not all the gadgets that make the image, it's the person BEHIND the camera.

Nonetheless, for most of us, any little extra gadget to help out is a MUST HAVE.  Such was the case when I watched an hour of Scott Kelby, master of photoshop and salesmanship.  He's got the best school on the planet, all available for $99 a year on your computer.  It's true ... I spent a year watching his classes and learned more than I can possibly tell you.

So when he does a show about amazing must-have gifts for the photographer on your Christmas list, all under $100, I watch.  Then I buy!!

Here's the first one, an extra bag to carry lens.  This crap ... I mean gear ... is heavy.  It's like carrying a baby around all day long.  To make it easier on my back, I only carry my camera, so that wide angle  or fish eye lens I want, is always sitting on the table in the rig.  This lightweight bag will allow me to carry three lens, along with a flash and my all important wallet.  SOLD.
Next up .. the platypod.  Where they come up with these names, I have no idea, but if you've ever laid down in the middle of the street to get a picture, you will appreciate this.  My best friend Patty will appreciate it too, since now she doesn't have to run interference with all those cars that come down the street.  

These hook together with your camera mounted on top.  It looks small, but will hold the weight of my 14 pound camera with 5 pound lens attached and not fall over.  It also comes with a long strap that will attach the entire thing (and your camera) to any railing or column for that perfect picture.

The best part of all, you may or may not know that tripods are not allowed in museums, homes or even Disneyland ... especially Disneyland.  This will sit on any bench or post in order to take a perfect non-blurry image and they won't kick you out.  Best of all, I can just set it down in the street and snap away.  No more laying on my stomach hoping I don't get run over.  Merry Christmas to me!!  
As the infomercial went on and the three guys on the panel cracked jokes ... it really was entertaining ... you can ask questions on Facebook and they will answer.  Wasn't I surprised when I asked TWO questions about ball heads (what you attach your camera to a tripod with) and his new book which I ordered but haven't seen hide nor hair of.

He answered both .... right there on my phone in front of everyone.  It was like talking to Elvis Presley it was so exciting!!  Just to make everyone jealous, I received everything in two days!!  TWO DAYS!!  That's amazing service in my book.

Here's another amazing shopping experience I had.  Jesse eats a small amount of canned food that Walmart is not carrying any more.  At $2 a can, Pet Smart priced themselves out of my business.  Just for the heck of it, I tried CHEWY.COM.  If you have pets, you're going to want to check them out.

I ordered two cases (24 big cans) of her dog food, paid $1.25 a can and $4.95 shipping ..... that was $4.95 shipping and received it 17 hours after I ordered.  I kid you not!!  I'll be ordering all my dog food from them from now on.

So my friends, watch out for those infomercials.  They got me for $250.  At least it's something that will work, unlike the five bottles of face cream I have in my makeup drawer!!







8 comments:

  1. You are so right smart shopping is much better that impulse shopping, like you camera accessories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, when you need Prescription Dog Food like Skruffy does, it doesn't matter if you buy it from PetSmart (actually from the Banfield's in PetSmart...if there is not Banfield's, they don't have Prescription Dog Food at that PetSmart), or from Chewy.com...it is all the same, VERY EXPENSIVE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's right .... Cooper was on it for awhile. Crazy expensive!!

      Delete
  3. Where do I sign up for the $150 face de-wrinkler's stuff
    Oh boy
    I know I'm gonna get in trouble for this one
    ,Will it take the wrinkles out of a saggy butt





    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, you're out of luck. It doesn't work on ANY body part!!

      Delete
  4. Is it OK to come out now 🎶🎵🎶🎵🙊🙉😇

    ReplyDelete