Wednesday, December 20, 2017

How Could I Forget??

It was MAGIC KINGDOM night at Elks Bingo!!  How could I forget THAT?  I think I would rather have just stayed on the couch last night, but I knew there would be no one to sell cards and make payouts.  The Castle Lawyer is off in Santa Cruz dog sitting at the beach.  It's a tough life.

The first thing I noticed is the two inch black and blue spot on my forehead has turned a lovely shade of yellow and is still sore as can be.  Luckily I have enough hair left (barely) to cover it up.

The barkeep knows exactly what I order every week now.  He set my coke down on the table before I even got there.  THAT'S great service.  See ... it's not ALL bad!!

Once set up with the infernal machine and cash, I started selling three minutes early.  I could hear the complaining chatter in the Pull Tab room.  Never, and I mean NEVER, open early.  Not that they weren't ready, because they were.  It's Christmas and everyone is cranky!!!

One good thing, on the last day before Christmas, all the ladies bring cookies.  I always try to be nice and take the smallest one I can find.  Sometimes I refuse them, but I suppose that can be considered rude. The thing is, you truly don't know what the kitchen looked like where they were prepared.

I've eaten home cooked things before and gotten pretty sick.  I don't do that any more unless I KNOW the baker.  I'm sorry to say I throw away many of those little treats.  It's the same with RV rallies.  I almost always get sick from eating potluck food.

Maybe it's because some people don't sanitize their water tank, which they are perfectly used to.  I'm not sure ... I just know I have to be pretty careful about what I eat.  I try to make sure no one has that problem with my food ... I ALWAYS use bottled water for cooking and drinking.  Even my dogs, and especially the parrot, get the same thing.

On the other hand, if it came in a box from Costco ... you know the cookies I'm talking about ... I eat them every time!!
Lucky for us, there were no fights or major problems with Bingo winners.  Everyone got paid and the infernal machine balanced to the penny, in spite of my helper (who showed up two hours late) trying to void something when there was nothing to void.

Next Tuesday is the day after Christmas, so there will be NO Bingo.  Yes folks, I hope you have all your Christmas presents purchased, because it's CHRISTMAS!!  

I forgot to tell you one more cool fact.  How could I forget??  While having that lovely baby lamb for dinner Friday night, I whipped out $20 for the raffle.  There is ALWAYS a raffle.  That's one way the Elks make money.  It's usually for booze, in which case I don't partake in the festivities.  THIS time it was for cash ... moola ... green stuff.  

One of the givens is that I never EVER win raffles.  It's always just a donation on my part.  Well wasn't I shocked beyond belief when I actually WON the raffle, amounting to $140.  Not enough to retire on, but Nancy was a very happy camper!!!  
It's burning a hole in my pocket and my fridge is totally bare.  Today I'm actually going to buy groceries.  I've been living on tamales and taquitos long enough.  

I was thinking I would try to roast a prime rib.  Believe me, I'm thinking about it a LOT because I don't want to ruin a $100 piece of beef. I have two choices ... smoke it or just put it in the oven at 500 degrees for 30 minutes (turn it off and leave it for two hours).  What do you think I should do???


8 comments:

  1. I think the second choice for the prime rib would be the best on, good luck, Gotta love a prime rib.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since we don't like raw meat I'd try your new Instant Pot.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really not a fan of too red meat either ... but the leftovers will make amazing stroganoff.

      Delete
  3. I also vote for the slow roasted oven method. *IF* you set a timer to remind you to turn off the oven after the 30 minutes. Cooking it at 500° for 2 1/2 hours would not be a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha Linda ... you know me well!!! I think I will set TWO timers, just in case!!

      Delete
  4. Do you have a Stater Brothers up by you? They have Prime Rib for $4.77 a pound now and it is mighty tasty.
    Personally, I do the low and slow method. Mhmmm, Prime Rib, Yorkshire Pudding, and Garlic Mashed, I can hardly wait.
    Merry Christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately we do not Yvette. I paid a "yikes" $7.99 a pound. Yorkshire pudding ... now that's one I've never tried either!!

      Delete