Friday, January 10, 2014

Dogpatch and White Lightning ... Day 2

Up at 5:30, Rally Day 2 started off quietly, but by 8:45 Patty and the Westerfields wanted to check out one of the many seminars on the schedule.  From insurance to fire safety, maintenance, nano technology and arts and crafts, they have everything you can imagine.  We went to "Have You Ever Thought About Writing?" given by Judy Howard, a self-published author on Amazon who travels the country in her RV with her cat and a life-size mannequin of her husband who passed away.  Great reading ... check her out on Amazon.com

From there it was off to Convection Oven Cooking!!  Since big rigs nowadays don't have regular ovens ... only microwave/convection ones, I thought this would help me figure out what all those buttons are for.  I've only cooked a few things in it and found out I was doing it all wrong.  For those who don't already know, your oven is powered by 110 electricity ... which makes it just like a regular oven.  If the package says bake something at 350 for 35 minutes, THAT's what you do with the convection part!!  Here I was making all these calculations and wondering why everything was still raw!!!  There's a lot more to it than that, so check out the seminar!!

Still in my "gosh I have to make sure everything goes perfect mode", Patty and I hit up the maintenance shop for tables and trash cans in the Amphitheater for ice cream distribution.   Today Dan and I will make sure they were delivered when we hang the Miller Insurance signs ... the sponsor of all this sweet goodness!!  Honestly, if I had known there was sooooo much involved in doing such a small project, I would have GLADLY volunteered for EVERY Gypsy Journal Rally I've been to.  When someone says it's a lot of work ... we need volunteers ... PLEASE give them some of your time.  I just never realized how much there was to do!!!  If you ever do it again Nick and Terry ... I'm there for you!!!  A big shout out to 'D' and Bill Hall ... you both did a lot more work than I ever realized and we miss you!!!

The main attraction of the day was the Dogpatch Parade.  Participants are club members who dress up in outlandish costumes!!  Pretty sure I wouldn't be caught dead in some of these get-ups, but they seemed to be having a great time.  Maybe it was the white lighting!!

It started off rather quiet and unassuming ... and went downhill from there!!!
There was beautiful art ....
Lot of coveralls and music ...
Oops ... where's the door????  And NO, he didn't stand up!!!
White lightning was everywhere ... delivered right to us in the audience!!!  It's okay, it was just small bottles of water.  Wasn't it Patty???   
Barefoot and pregnant ... with chickens!!!
More white lightning, but instead of giving it out, this guy drank it all!!!
My favorites ... what could be better for a DOGpatch parade than the puppy dogs!!!
Not only were there several in the parade, there were MANY lined up watching the parade.  How can you resist these cute faces??
This baby was strutting his stuff!!!
Now personally, I think my Cooper is the cutest EVER!!!  But he may have a little competition from THIS little girl!!!
At the end, it was time for Dan and I to go get the pizza from Costco for our party back at the rigs.    At $10 each, these huge pizzas are not only a good deal, but they taste delicious, as you can tell by the 12 empty boxes!!
Today it's all about the Ice Cream Social where the Golden Spike group will give away almost 3000 bars.  What could be better than free ice cream?????

No comments:

Post a Comment