Tuesday, January 28, 2014

BORON .. CITY OF TRAINS ... YAWN!!!

You KNOW how much I love trains ... but last night, not so much!!  Between 3 and 5 am,  EIGHT ... count them, EIGHT trains passed by here with whistles blowing, not to mention the VERY low flying plane that roared overhead and the six cars that revved their engines before takeoff!!  Even with Advil PM and earplugs, I was wide awake!!  There is a sign in the RV park office saying City of Sunsets, which is mostly true.  My "Sunset Over Trailer Park" image isn't exactly what I was hoping for however.
I wanted to wander around to get better images, but for those who DON'T know this area, it's not exactly downtown Mxxxxx where I feel relative safe.  Carrying a big camera doesn't make it any better.  I really need to get a small point and shoot ... but probably STILL wouldn't walk around THIS neighborhood alone!!!
The Phaeton engine started!!!  Having been parked out in the desert for the last week with some Phaeton nay-sayers, I was thrilled to hear the engine roar to life when I turned the key yesterday morning!!  Forgetting the time change I was soon to cross, I packed up, stabilized the load in the jeep and left early.  Coming into Indio, traffic got heavier, when all of a sudden I heard a bang ... it sounded like my door opened ... and I could hear air rushing in, but the door was closed.  I know I'm always too safety conscious, but I'm glad I've made a habit of locking the deadbolt.  When I stopped for a puppy break, I relocked the door, thinking I just didn't pull hard enough to latch it.
Not far down the road, it happened again.  Upon arriving in Boron at 1:00 California time, I pulled in to the Arabian Oasis and checked it again.  Apparently with all the jostling from the last 16,000 miles, the adjustment bolt has come loose.  A little wrench work, and hopefully it won't happen for another few miles!!

FINALLY, in beautiful downtown Boron ... I have internet!!!  So here's a quick catch up on the last four days.

The box is full of chicken ... a very large ceramic rooster from Cracker Barrel, Yuma.  You can find some amazing things in that restaurant.  I've been searching for this one for three years.  The wagon wheel, also a sought after specimen of yard art, Dan found in Tyson Wells.  We each bought one ... mine is bungeed down in the back of my jeep!!
I think this was the second day of shopping ... last year this lot was almost full of vendors.  Patty says she thinks this is the slow death of Quartzsite.  Too sad!!
This site had lots of old hand pumps Dan was looking for, as well as several more wooden wheels.  The proprietress however, was totally unwilling to negotiate ... on ANYTHING!!!  So we passed her by!!  Here's Patty pretending to climb on an old time large-wheel bicycle!!  
After Patty and Dan left, I went to visit Barb and Tom Westerfield in Boomerville.  Slightly up the road, you can barely see some of the hundreds of RV's parked in the valley.
With not much to photograph, it's all about the sky in Arizona.  The evening sun lit up these mountains, making them bright pink.  
This is actually a sunrise instead of a sunset.  Just as spectacular, they are more yellow than red. 
I camped out by this cactus for over an hour, waiting for the gorgeous RED sunset, but it never happened.  Just my luck ... the clouds were too thick and the sun just disappeared.  
This is the exact opposite direction of the sunset above.  I love the cloud formations!!
Miss Jessie the guard dog, keeping watch for coyotes!!!
At the Quartzsite Improvement Association Gem and Mineral Show, I picked up a few stones to play with.  I'm pretty sure if I check out You Tube, I'll find some instructions on wire wrapping stones.  Since I know absolutely NOTHING about rocks, I asked ... and the vendors were more than happy to explain how the stones ended up like this ... with lots of expensive equipment, and where they come from ... Russia, Lebanon, Afghanistan and the hill behind my rig.  
After breakfast and a quick nap, I'll be heading home to beautiful cold Central California.  This trip was awesome, meeting up with Golden Spike friends ... but going to Arizona to get warm, just wasn't in the cards.  I think the freezing cold up North and back East leaked out to the Western States, as it was chilly every night, and not warm enough for shorts during the day!!  Nick Russell usually brings the cold weather ... Hey Nick ... are you and beautiful Miss Terry in Arizona????  


2 comments:

  1. Nancy,
    As a matter of fact, we are in Arizona! And for the last couple of days, even closer to you, in Yuma! However……….how do you explain the rest of the USA??! Nick can't possibly be blamed for all of it…………….!! 8^) Love Ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha I knew you were in Yuma!!! I was just teasing Nick!!! It's funny this weather pattern change affects the entire US!! It's bound to warm up, but in the meantime, keep your beautiful woven scarves handy!!!

      Delete