Tuesday, October 6, 2015

It's MELTING!!!!

As usual around this time of year, the sunsets have been pretty gorgeous.  We have had a threat of rain most every day, but no sighting of the wet stuff recently.  You can't help but have a pretty sunset when the sky is so full of smog and dirt.  Almost instantly after our last good rain, the skies returned to murky gray.

Make hay when the sun shines, and make enchiladas when it's cloudy and overcast.  This is a recipe I pretty much can't mess up.  Open can, fry hamburger, cover in cheese.  YUM!
The three pans above went in the freezer for future meals.  Since I'm only feeding one, I always put at least half away so I don't have to eat my cooking seven days in a row!!  I layered the remaining ingredients in this pan, making kind of an enchilada pie.  This will last FOUR days!!  I could probably eat it a lot faster, but I'm trying to pay at least a little attention to portion size!!
Dessert turned out to be a decadent yummy, quick-to-fix success!!  Well not quite a success, since a lot of melted ice cream ended up on the floor of the freezer.  Yeah really ...... I'm ashamed to admit.  So here's the recipe:  a little less than 1/2 cup flour, 1/4 cup quick cooking oats, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup chopped nuts (stir all that together), then pour in 1/2 cup melted butter and mix well.  Put on a baking pan in a 400 degree oven for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

When done, break apart if needed and let it cool.  That's the important part ... let it cool!!!!!  Then layer in a 6 inch springform pan ... half the crumble (press down), caramel sauce, a pint of ice cream, caramel sauce and the rest of the crumble.  Cover and freeze.  Wasn't I surprised when I pulled it out of the freezer for dinner to find ice cream dripping (and now frozen) from the top shelf all the way to the bottom.
I guess that crumble was just a little too warm and most of the ice cream in the very middle melted, ran out the springform pan and made a BIG mess.  It was worth it though!  When I tasted the crumble I wasn't impressed, but when you mix it with caramel sauce and vanilla ice cream, it was delectable, tasty and kick-the-bucket good!!!!  By the way, double the recipe for a regular pan ... this one is pretty small since I wasn't feeding an army.
Jonathan is settling in nicely, eating up a storm and testing every inch of the cage.  He can be a pretty good escape artist.  With a little inspiration from me dancing around the house screaming his name and making crazy bird noises (scaring the dogs half to death), he even did a little disco dance for me!!

What else is going on??  Well tonight ..... TONIGHT .... is crazy Magic Kingdom night!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment