Saturday, April 6, 2024

Yup ... It's DEAD!

 It was another 42 degree day with blowing wind this morning.  I guess I'm pretty lucky not to live in the foothills.  The storm hit there with some ferocity.  This is at around 2,000 foot elevation.  Lots of snow and trees down everywhere.  I'm not surprised since we've had so much rain.  I think 3-4 inches of snow and the entire countryside shuts down.  Businesses closed, schools closed.  

It's funny that no one remembers this was the norm some years ago.  I don't remember anyone closing down over a little snow.  It was business as usual.  Like Dave mentioned ... I think it's because the media has become so DRAMATIC about everything ... including the upcoming eclipse.  THE SKY IS FALLING!!  They must have missed the last one because there was hardly a word.


Around here we just had lots of pretty clouds passing over.  I spent yet ANOTHER two hours going over the budget, trying to figure out the problem with the new report.  I finally got it, but could have saved myself HOURS if those two reports had the accounts in the same order.  Apparently in the NEW system, the account numbers are in a different order, depending on what report you print out.  What the heck????


With a big sigh of relief once again, Cooper and I lounged on the couch for a snuggle fest.  He just insists on sleeping right next to me.  I of course, don't want to wake him up.  If I'm lucky, I might catch a few Zzzz's too.


I had a lunch date with my friend from Sacramento, so I got all gussied up once again.  She was bringing her new "friend" and I was dressed to impress.  I didn't want him to think she had a homeless gal for a bestie.  It was all for naught.  Turns out they had breakfast at 10:00, so no use eating again at noon.  They headed home ... I headed to Walmart for some groceries.  

Let me just say .... leave your dog home.  Barking could be heard across the entire building.  LOUD barking.  Unfortunately I had to go down that aisle.  There was a basket with a big blanket inside and a big dog barking at everyone that walked by.  Not just little barks either ... crazy loud barking that didn't stop.  I could hear her saying hush ... hush ... but obviously that wasn't working.  I can't believe they let her continue shopping.  She didn't even PRETEND it was a service dog.

I also couldn't believe the price of this tri tip.  It's one of the cheapest pieces of meat on a cow.  It should be about ten bucks.  I was looking for a pork roast to smoke, but they were priced even higher.  Who can afford this?  I settled for cheap frozen hamburgers.  The cost of food is just out of sight.  I don't think I've ever seen inflation this high in my lifetime!


On the way back into my driveway, much lighter after that $90.00 grocery bill that got me very little in edible things, I thought to check out the weed killer.  Yup .... it's working quite nicely.  I don't know what they have in mind, but it better be sod.  I'm not going for the "here's some grass seeds".  This is about 50 feet worth of damage.  And how long will it remain in the soil?  There's a pre-emergent there.  Guess I better do some homework on how that stuff works.


In a flash, the afternoon was gone.  That's when I caught Jon red handed.  He chewed the end off his perch and fell to the floor with a crash.  He looks so innocent!  No worries, this one was only 3" off the floor, but his favorite place to hang out.  Yup their beaks are weapons of destruction.  It took all of five minutes to do this.  You can imagine what he could do to your furniture!!  I have a replacement somewhere .......


Time for another dinner that I have to actually cook.  I admit, it's not hard to prepare these, most taking a mere 30 minutes.  It does help if you read the recipe twelve times and remember to put in the last few ingredients ... which I did not.  This is pork meatloaf with parmesan ... something I've never tried before.  This picture is not a true representation because there are NO pieces of tomato in the sauce as shown here.


Of course there was a big cleanup when the spaghetti boiled all over the stove in spite of turning it down.  The meat loaves are formed individually and baked in the oven.  There's a lot of baking involved with these dishes, which is good ... less cleanup.  I made three instead of two.  I should have made four.

There was more than enough to feed four people from this one meal.  Not bad, yes?  This one was delicious and a keeper!!  I'll be having it again soon if I can figure out what was in that spice packet.


And so ended another nice day of good ... not burned ... food.  And then the storms came in once again.  Black clouds ... so black it was scary.  Tornado looking weather that passed by with no rain here.


Today I'll get gussied up once again ... not really, I'm wearing Levis ... for Dualing Pianos.  Seriously, this town is NOT into that kind of thing, but one of the local charities Bingo donates to has brought them to town.  

Bingo paid for the pianos and TWO tables for dinner, to benefit foster kids in our county.  This is a new one for us, so I'll report on the festivities tomorrow ... when I have NOTHING planned but to hang out on the couch!!


25 comments:

  1. I have to agree with everything you said today! Everything is up everywhere! Groceries, gas, coffee, eggs (will be out of site after the Texas killings) The eclipse, OMG for 4 min of darkness the media is crazy! Looked up hotels in the totality area, just for fun. Clarksville, AR on Monday is $399 for a Days Inn on Tuesday 77! The barking dogs everywhere in stores! All kinds of pets, but not service animals! Rant over. :) Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's certainly not like four years ago. So sad.

      Delete
  2. You are right the cost of groceries is crazy!
    Hope you have a great day!
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I forgot about "Don't let your pets look at the sun during the eclipse". Now tell me when have you EVER seen your dog looking at the sun? Our dogs ALWAYS had their nose to the ground, or looking at some movement in their vicinity...they don't a flying hoot about looking at the sun!!!! Two more days of this and then we will have to hear them report about, "What was everyone so worried about with the Eclipse?", as if THEY (media) were not the ones that brought the fear and excitement in the first place...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sure seems to be how it's going Dave. Oh for the days of Walter Cronkite.

      Delete
  4. I finally learned that a wooden spoon will prevent boil overs. Remember years ago animals were not allowed in stores that had sold food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? A wooden spoon ... IN the pot or laying over? I'm going to look that up. Thanks Cheryl.

      Delete
  5. If you think it's bad now, keep voting for Democrats. You ain't seen nothing yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Name five people That aren’t Mexican that you can get to mow your lawn pick your vegetables trim your trees And generally do stuff you don’t oh wait, isn’t the other administration going to send them ALL back to their motherland? Maybe you need to invest in a handbasket

      Delete
    2. No one ever said they are sending them ALL back. Just the M13 gang members, the cartel members, the drug smugglers, the murderers ... if you want to stay here, do it LEGALLY. Apply for a work visa or citizenship. Maybe talk to the President about speeding up that process!! This is all about votes ... letting them vote for democrats, when they are NOT citizens!!

      Delete
  6. Mr. Ed said why not the next time you go riding off into the sunset /Woods/ to bring a pair of lopping shears, or ask your gardener Or a tree trimmer to cut some thick ( dried )branches For birdie
    You better get used to the Shopping prices Or Draw more money out of your 401/ IRA Or maybe move to Thailand, Costa Rica or Panama or Mexico Na The prices in those countries are going up as well. Oh well That $20 California an hour pay should help out.. did somebody say cheeseburgers are now $25 and fries are five and your Coke is six just remember you live in the land of 💵💵💵💵💰

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's crazy the $20 an hour wages. I think they were dumb enough to think the businesses would actually HIRE illegals, thereby giving them a job that would buy a house. Instead, they fired everyone (I would too) and went with robots. No business is going to be able to afford this. That just means more people on unemployment and welfare.

      Delete
  7. I agree, prices are insane, we can’t continue like this, there needs to be a stop soon. The hype about a few inches of snow, the eclipse, etc is over the top. These things aren’t new, they’ve been around a long time, maybe they don’t happen everyday but they are repeats.
    On the plus side, Jonathan looked pretty happy at the idea of getting a new perch! Cooper looked cozy and peaceful. The weed killer is working and the piano dual should be entertaining. Your friend has two friends ( one she has had for a long time, and one she wants to show off ) that managed to get along for a few hours. You didn’t burn the house down, you liked the food and are excited about cooking. I think overall, it was a pretty good day!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was indeed a good day!! Especially the part about not burning the house down!!

      Delete
  8. Jonathon looks quite proud of his accomplishment! It will be interesting to see how the lawn company resolves your grass dilemma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO proud!! He chortled for an hour over that one! Yeah, I can't wait to hear what their resolution will be.

      Delete
  9. Yesterday the media hype was over the top with the earthquake in the New York City area. My native Californian grandson lives in Brooklyn and said that at first they just thought it was a semi-truck going by that shook their brick building and not a big deal. Read there were no deaths, injuries, etc. Just gave the media their top story for the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ratings ... it's all about ratings, so they make it as big as they can. But when it turns out it was nothing, I would think their ratings would fall in the dumps. Glad your grandson is okay!

      Delete
  10. Regarding Mr. Ed'ts comment " people are moving to...". A few years ago one of my YHS classmates retired to Costa Rica. A couple of weeks ago he mentioned Costa Rica is getting a big influx of Americans and the cost of living is going up too especially the cost of homes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were a lot of Americans there when I visited. No doubt all those people moving in have caused prices to go up. It all looked pretty rural to me, with mostly dirt roads. Not sure that's my cup of tea at this age.

      Delete
    2. According to Social Security,, statistics 500 million
      The number of people living outside the United States who collect Some sort of Social Security benefits And that doesn’t even count, retired military, or other forms of pension beneficiaries

      Delete
  11. That first photo made me feel cold, or it could just be the weather here at the moment, but when it looks like that outside I would rather stay inside under a blanket having a nap, just saying. Also meat is expensive well it is here which is one of the reasons we don't have it often, that and the fact that I have trouble eating a nice piece of steak and how I miss being able to eat steak without issue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS cold here Jo-Anne!! You would think I would be all over meat, having been born and raised on a cattle ranch, but I'd rather have chicken or turkey. Too much of a good thing I guess.

      Delete
  12. So now you know that stuff (weed killer) works. You are right, probably an exchange of soil asap.

    ReplyDelete