Saturday, April 27, 2024

SQUIRREL!!!

OKAY ... UPDATE.  I should not be speaking badly about our politicians, even if I don't like them.  My apologies.  Maybe they bid on something I didn't see ...... you know, like how they pass bills without us seeing or knowing.

Well that was one crazy day!   It started out quite nicely, especially in the light of not having to be anywhere or do anything.  Those are MY kind of days.  Sadly, it turned into THIS!  SQUIRREL!!!!


I was up at the normal hour.  Cyndae slept in until 9:45.  I don't know how anyone can do that.  Eventually she gathered all her stuff and headed out the door around noon.  With nothing on my to-do list for the moment, I decided I better get this Hello Fresh food cooked.  Somehow I got THREE dinners in the box.  That's more food than I can eat in a WEEK!

Here's the what-it-should-look-like picture.  


Yeah, I didn't follow the recipes.  Roasted potatoes are not my favorite, so I mashed them.  The broccoli that should have been roasted also, was not, AND I left off the lemon peel.  I have to admit, the pork chop was a nice one, but was covered in what they called Steakhouse seasoning.  Turns out it was dill.  Who puts DILL on a pork chop?

You know me though, I ate it.  This is a small salad plate, but it was more food than I should have eaten.  I was stuffed to the gills.  I definitely will NOT order this one again.  Actually, I don't think I ordered it at all ... it just showed up.


Since the sun was out, my plan was to lay out and read.  It started out great, but the cloud cover soon put the kibosh on that idea.


This is what concrete looks like when you put your phone down.  I knew you would be impressed.


Back in the house, I was lounging on the couch watching the rodeo happening about 60 miles away.  Being local made it more fun since many of the contestants were from my area.

That's when it happened.  SQUIRREL!!!  My phone rang.  All I could hear was really loud music.  Must be a spammer.  Nope ... it was my friends from the Elks Lodge who were attending yet another fundraiser for Boys and Girls Club.  "You have to get down here.  Our table has eight seats and no one showed up!!"

That's a NO-NO ... to have your lodge name posted on the table and not have anyone show up.  Big sigh ... I really did not want to go, but I quickly changed clothes, put on lots of foo-foo juice and ran out the door. It was at another building at the fairgrounds, so my Levis and boots were suitable.

Our table was front and center.  Fancy it was!!  One of only two with a GOLD tablecloth!  The balloons are your bidding sticks!!  For dinner ... like I really wanted dinner after eating that huge lunch ... was your choice of beef ribs, chicken or vegetarian.  Obviously I went for the ribs.  In an instant I was miserably full and I only ate half.  Let the program begin.


First off, I can't believe how completely RUDE people are at these fundraisers.  They never shut up so the rest of us can hear.  One sweet grandmother was trying to talk about how much Boys and Girls club had done for her three grandchildren.  She was ten feet away and I could hardly hear her.  I wanted to grab the microphone and tell people to SHUT UP!!  Even worse, three tables behind us just got up and left in the middle of her talking.  It was just SO disrespectful!! 

Finally, let the auction begin.  Gosh ... in years past this group had the best items ... things like a safari trip to Africa, a cruise to Mazatlan ... big ticket items.  This year there was a barbecue dinner for ten that went for $500, tickets to the Las Vegas Raiders went for $250 ... not much bidding going on.  

The desserts were auctioned off in between items, bringing in $300-500 each.  These two friends at my table couldn't believe how much they were selling for.  


So where the heck are the politicians ... Democrat Assemblyman Adam Gray, the mayor, two prior assemblymen, all the big wigs from the local area.  They are all here, why aren't they bidding??  This is Adam Grays table and they did not bid on one single item.    


And so the night ended as the auction items only garnered about $9,000.  I imagine they made money from selling the tables (minus the cost of decorations and food), but what a sad response from the politicians.  CASA made huge amounts from the Judges and Lawyers and even LOVE INC beat out this fundraiser.  

I have yet another event to attend tomorrow, so the rest of today I'll be LOUNGING!!

No worries about our table ... Nancy will be having a talk with those that didn't bother to show up or even call to let us know.




11 comments:

  1. So rude of people to not show.
    Hopefully you can rest a bit today.
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the politicians were at the Rodeo 60 miles away!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The food always looks good, it’s on the plate, not running off the edge, it’s never burnt and it always resembles the ‘before’ pic. Maybe you are too critical of your attempts.
    Common sense and decency are things of the past. Society has become all about ME, and the rest of the world works around that! People show up if they don’t have a better offer, when it’s best for them. No one slips in or out quietly if they are late or early.
    Politicians and leaders do what is necessary to win the next election, and are not exempt from the ME attitude. Sadly it is the way life has shifted.
    On the good news front, you survived to fight another day.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True ... all true Deb. Nor are they willing to spend THEIR money ... just OURS!!

      Delete
  4. That is terrible about the no-shows and the politicians. Looks like they are enjoying themselves with their $$ tucked in their pockets. Stingy people.
    Your meals look good and your broccoli looks better than in the picture to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just so sad people have become so self centered. This fundraiser used to raise $20,000 ... now I think it's barely paying the bills.

      Delete
    2. It's such a good program ... keeps the kids off the streets. I think they just go for the publicity! I guess they did buy the table like we did. I don't know for how much. The broccoli was MUCH better!!

      Delete
  5. I have never been to such an event and I think it is rude to just not show up if you are expected. I wouldn't want to be in government because everyone hates you, just saying

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that would not be so bad if they did what they said they would do. Seems to be a lot of broken promises.

      Delete