Friday, May 12, 2023

Sometimes You WIN -- Sometimes You LOSE

 It was an interesting day, even though I started out on the losing end.  One of the all time favorite foods of skunks is eggs, as in they like to break into the hen house.  I guess breaking is the key word because yes, they are breaking back in once again.  I'll report on that tomorrow.

That's weird, the egg was still intact and wasn't I surprised to see this on my critter cam!  Apparently crows will eat just about anything.  This guy very carefully broke into the egg he found for breakfast, but sadly, he tipped the shell too far one way and the entire contents went down the crack.  

I didn't know previously, but crows eat small animals, baby birds and eggs ... they are scavengers like the buzzards.  That's where they got the name "a murder" of crows.  Who knew??


My first order of the day was to hit the grocery store.  Sadly, I can never make it on Senior Discount Day because of Bingo, so I always check their sales.  I was pretty surprised to walk in and find I could barely get down the aisles because of the Mother's Day flowers and balloons.  This is no cheap gift for Mom ... one small pack of roses was a whopping $50.00!


I did find this little gem ... $2.99 bacon?  Yes please ... even if it is only 12 ounces.  I did have a little trouble with this one.  In other stores, you have to scan the coupon in the store in order to get that price.  This one just refused to be scanned.  

I thought I might be on the losing end until the checker said all the scanning does is open the app on your phone.  He gave me the discount price.  


Then it was on to Costco.  I mean where else would you go when it's NATIONAL EAT ANYTHING YOU WANT DAY!  Seriously, there's a day for practically everything you can imagine ... like Lost Sock Day.  Who makes this stuff up??

So I took full advantage!  The pupusas on the top are something I'm trying for the first time.  Back in the days of Giants Baseball, we would wander the streets of San Francisco looking for out of the way places to eat.  One day we found a little Catholic Church in an area we really should not have been.  

On the street corner was a Salvadoran lady selling pupusas she cooked on a hot plate.  Meat and cheese in a corn masa pocket.  They were delicious.  Luckily we made it out alive and didn't get robbed.  I've no idea if these will be any good, but I had to try them.  The ice cream?  18 bars for $10.  The roasted chicken as you know is $5.00.  I bought two.  The raw chicken ... $3.00 a pound.


THIS was my winning choice for "eat anything you want" day.  It looks like a muffin, but really it's the best red velvet cake I've ever eaten, with a cream cheese frosting that is better than anything I could ever make.  SCORE!!!! 


Add to that the TWO dozen eggs for $4.99.  At Save Mart they were $6.99 for 18.  No kidding ... Costco has amazing prices on SOME things.  I got four dozen, putting most of them into a cardboard carton I had left over.  We shall see how long they last.  


Believe it or not, I got out of Costco for $60.00 (there's a few items not in the picture).  That's a first for me!

Back home I finally got my act together and my plumbers hat in place.  I took out the old drain thingy and replaced it with a new one.  Here's my tip of the day.  Never EVER take a picture of your bathroom sink.  It 100% shows just how dirty it really is.  

That brought about a frenzy of scrubbing on ALL my sinks.  Okay, enough of that ... it was time for dinner.


And HERE IT IS!!  This box of frozen goodies was sold at Save Mart for $1.15 each.  Costco had them for 60 cents each.  Pretty big difference!!  What better way to celebrate a beautiful sunny day!!!


Actually I was just gearing up for another round of Elks Lodge meetings.  Sometimes you lose at these things when they last until 10:00 while going on and on over nothing.  Sometimes you WIN when the meeting is over at 8:00, like last night.  I celebrated with ONE MORE Kirkland ice cream bar.  

Anyone know when National Ice Cream Day comes around???




6 comments:

  1. National Ice Cream Day could be every day at my house!
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always say: Yesterday, no matter what day..... I celebrate, because I missed it! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I retract my last comment about crows being smart. I guess there are dumb ones in every species. That cupcake looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like you enjoy bacon. May I suggest the precooked bacon at Costco. It's one pound of cooked bacon, so it's nice and lean. There's about 50 pieces in each package and it quickly cooks in the microwave. The bacon is very visible so it's easy to pick out nice lean packages. It costs about $10 a package. It's in the section where the hot dogs and other bacon products are.

    ReplyDelete