Friday, May 5, 2023

Records Broken Again

The good news is NO skunk sightings in the last 24 hours.  The bad news .... that's only because it's been pouring down rain for the last two days.  Overcast, sprinkles, then coming down like cats and dogs ... but thankfully not skunks.  

I probably wouldn't mind the skunks so much if they didn't spray my kids.  If anyone remembers last spring, Miss Jessie got sprayed.  I snatched her up, stuck her in the bathtub and made sure Cooper was right behind me, then I ran back outside to chase the skunk off.  

That was a BIG mistake because it was cold and my heaters were on in the house.  It sucked all that lovely skunk smell from the bathroom and deposited it throughout the entire house.  It took me DAYS to get it cleaned up ... and in spite of pouring boiling water in the bathtub, that smell lasted for three weeks.

As I'm sure you also remember, I did get sprayed on the ranch when taking out concrete pipes.  It's not the least bit fun!!!  You get really sick and toss your cookies ... and I'm not talking peanut butter cookies!!


So ... we shall see what happens.  Maybe the neighbor will set out his traps again and I won't have to mess with them.

On to Cinco de Mayo!!  Happy days arrived when the Mexican army defeated the French in 1862.  It was happy for me too since we celebrate it at the Elks Lodge every year.  It was lodge meeting night and the ONLY night where we get Mexican food.  It's my all time favorite.  NO STEAK!!!  And even better, NO GREEN BEANS!!!  That's enough to celebrate in itself!


And celebrate we did.  Things are finally getting back to normal at the Lodge with huge crowds coming to meeting night twice a month.  Don't get me wrong, they don't come for the meeting, but for the $20 a plate food that is always yummy!  I think we broke a record last night with 132 dinners sold.  Add to that the $1700 we made in their raffle.  Woohoo!!


Luckily the officers get to stand in line early due to the 8:00 meeting, because on this night, they ran out of the best part ... the chicken.  I brought over half of this plate home.  I'm now on a mission to get the recipe for said chicken because it was DELICIOUS!!  

To add to the best dinner night of the year, the meeting lasted only 20 minutes before the drawing.  Everyone pays $1 and gets a ticket.  It's supposed to be an incentive to show up, but only the regulars sit in.  You're not going to believe this because I NEVER win ... but this was my lucky night.  I stuffed 25 into my pocket on the way out the door.  At least it paid for my dinner!!


It was a great day ... no skunks, great food and I won some cash.  

Here's my latest quilt project.  This is one that has caused much frustration.  See how the white triangles are pointed different directions?  Yessirree I got four of them wrong.


I'll be tearing them completely apart today and resewing them correctly.  What a pain that's going to be ... but I love the subject, so it's definitely worth it.

More rain expected today, which I'm allergic to, so there will be no walking.  Maybe later in the week when it's supposed to crawl back up to 91 degrees.

HAPPY CINCO DE MAYO!!!!!!!




14 comments:

  1. Your old buddy Nick seems to have found a remedy to chase away critters Using a motion sensor lawn- sprinkler might be something you might like to try if you get it from Amazon just remember they have a liberal return Policy if it doesn’t work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like one of your old stopping point for oranges. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xnq3Sqv9YTM

      Delete
    2. Those sprinklers work on lot of critters ... especially cats. Sadly, they do not work on skunks. The electric fence will probably do the trick, but then it will also zap the foxes. It's a dilemma.

      Delete
  2. Mexican food is my fav too Nancy.
    Your quilt is going to be awesome. I love the Elk!
    Happy Cinco De Mayo!!
    Frances :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know where that yen for Mexican food came from, since my family is from Europe.

      Delete
  3. That wild animal quilt is going to be nice Nancy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the car your standing need to looks just like my granddaddy's ( Richard Carter Clampitt) 1930 Oldsmobile. A picture is on Find A Grace Sam in the Ozarks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How cool is that!!! It's a beauty for sure. I think it's still there!! I'll look that up.

      Delete
    2. Gary, I looked it up. GREAT pictures!! And fascinating history. I think we owned the same stubborn mules.

      Delete
  5. Dinner does look delicious! We love Mexican food too! I really like the quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could eat it every day, but it's not exactly low cal.

      Delete
  6. Hope the neighbor sets his traps for you, that would be nice.
    The meal looks great and congrats on the win!
    My eyes see nothing wrong with this quilt pieces, good thing I'm not doing it!

    ReplyDelete