Saturday, May 13, 2023

Aunts, Uncles and Skunks!! OH MY!!!!

Nothing brings out the bad words in my vocabulary more than these guys.  I guess they're cute if they are a stuffed toy Cooper can drag around the living room floor.  Having them in your back yard every year is a big pain in the you-know-what.


I'm sure you remember big Momma from two years ago.  She's the reason I soon became known as the Skunk Whisperer.  She brought her entire family to the party, digging so many holes in my corral that to this day you cannot walk without taking a chance of breaking your ankle.  I kid you not ... it became a real hazard.

In an effort to stop them, I have spent over $1500 spraying the corrals for weeds and grubs.  I laid chain link fence panels along the entire fence, adding in every piece of pallet and wood I could find.  It didn't matter.  They were relentless.


After I caught and relocated Big Momma, all her aunts, uncles, nieces and nephews started coming around.  I became very adept at my latest occupation, Skunk Trapper.  

It's a very heart pounding operation.  Believe me, they are not the least bit happy to be in a cage.  You have to lay a big piece of plastic in the bed of your truck, followed by a large blanket or sleeping bag.  Then you heft the cage into the truck ... it's harder than you think ... without making any fast movements or noise that will cause them to spray.

Cover up the cage with the rest of the sleeping bag and drive VERY CAREFULLY to your destination. Big bumps will result in big sprays.  Now comes the good part.  Once you get it OUT of the truck you have to lean over the cage and with one hand hold the latch open while you lift the door with the other hand and then flip the lock so the door STAYS open.  

My heat was POUNDING every single time!!  Then you run like crazy!!!  No worries really since they aren't going to come out of the cage until it's dark outside, but that doesn't mean they won't try to spray you!!


 I'm really not looking forward to doing this again.  I found the entry point and placed a grate there.  Then I drug several chain link fence sections back over to the fence.


They tried to dig in here, even pushed that piece of concrete out of the way, but were not interested in digging the additional four feet to get out from under the panel.  Gosh I DISLIKE these guys.


Here's the worst part yet.  This is the second time a skunk family member has showed up on my camera this week.  I thought for sure he was locked out, but looky here!  That little bugger has returned yet again.  


I walked the entire fence and cannot find ONE SINGLE HOLE where he entered.  How could that be?  He did return to the original hole in the picture above and dig out all the dirt on THIS side of the fence, trying to get through the grate to get OUT.  However, he did not succeed.

SO HOW THE HECK DID HE GET IN AND OUT?  I know for sure they cannot climb that fence.  That's when I had the terrible thought ... maybe he was LIVING in my back yard!!!  I grabbed the pitchfork and stabbed every shrub and bush like I was a peasant at Bingo.  Nothing.  No skunk.

I have the video, so I'm not imaging things ... I'm just at a loss to figure this one out.  I guess I'll put on my Sherlock Holmes hat and get to work.  BIG SIGH!!


15 comments:

  1. I know they don’t climb much but maybe these are? I think you are right, though. They are already inside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness Nancy becareful not to get sprayed.
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do my very best Frances!!! I got hit once and I didn't like it much!!

      Delete
  3. Yikes! Sell that place and move to Cottonwood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of the ten Aunts and Uncles that I had, one pair were Skunks! lol Watch what you hit with that pitchfork, nothing smells worse than a dead skunk!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You could try buying a dog barking thingy that comes on when the camera comes on. They don't like dogs and will leave the area. Good luck with the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well now THAT is an idea. I've never heard of that before. I'll check it out.

      Delete
  6. I could not help but think about that commercial where that couple all their aunts staying at their house....going through the fridge shouting "expired, expired.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mother had a skunk coat. Just the black part. it was beautiful. My father bought it for her during WWII in Boston when he was on maneuvers in Massachusetts and she was following along . If I hadn't been bigger than she was, I would have kept it, square shoulders and all. But it went to the local college drama department. There are just too many people now. If it were legal to trap and skin a skunk, (eeeowuu), there might be no skunks. So ...no point to this story other than they are hell on hen houses and yards but make good coats. And are cute in their own way. I once saw a mom carry her young across a busy highway, holding my breath. She made two trips OK. I was relieved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They ARE cute!! And that fluffy furry tail! But OH the smell!!! I can't believe your Mom had a skunk coat. That's certainly something I've never heard of!

      Delete
    2. Well, having trouble not being anonymous. The skunk coat was gorgeous. And I am JudithK. Ha.

      Delete