Wednesday, May 3, 2023

Packed In Like Sardines

 I bet you're thinking that one day there will be NO crazy Bingo stories.  Surely it will go swimmingly at least ONCE in an entire year.  We can only hope, because last night was not it.

I awoke yesterday to the quiet pitter patter on the roof.  My first thought ... "its not Santa Clause"... went through my brain.  It was 92 degrees two days ago and now it's raining and 44.  Having froze the night before, I drug out my big heavy electric blanket again and threw it over the bed.  At least Cooper and I had a nice cozy warm night.

And then it POURED ... as in cats and dogs.  


Thankfully it finally let up by the time I headed off to the Magic Kingdom.  There's nothing worse than a gaggle of wet peasants standing outside pounding on the door for entry into the dungeon.  At least this time they didn't try to kick it down, but two did try to sneak in the back kitchen door.

CAUGHT!!  It's funny how they profess innocence ... "I didn't KNOW" ... while at the same time telling you they are not a member, which means they DO know the rules.  I don't know how they got past the Castle Cook because she rules with an iron spatula!!


It's not a full moon, but it's the next closest thing.  We have an $1199 hot ball that is looking to be won AND it's the first of the month, meaning everyone got their retirement/welfare/social security checks.  It's always a madhouse at the first Bingo of the month.  Last night was not the exception, and in fact, it was record setting.

Luckily I have two girls who count those cards with fingers of lightning.  They are fast ... and they know exactly when to start calling out the cards before I've even shut the drawer from the last transaction. 

This little back section where we sit was packed shoulder to shoulder with people, some of which don't shower regularly.  I hate to say that, but sometimes you just have to hold your nose.  Here's the trick ... breathe through your mouth.  I learned that when I was very young on the ranch and something died.  If you didn't want to throw up, you keep your mouth open to breathe.  


We went at blazing speed for two solid hours.  Someone asked the King if they should set up another cash register.  The King replied "not when Nancy's working".  That made me smile.  

We only had one problem at the table, and that was the same guy complaining about not getting all his cards the last time.  I guess that apology he gave me wasn't really heartfelt.  


There were a few scuffles over seating, but nothing the Knights couldn't handle.  It was a record setting night with 161 people.  We've never had that many at one time before.  What it meant was those who don't like anyone sitting across from them, will remove those chairs.  On this night, they had to put them back.

With peasants packed in like sardines, they had to move their amulets and good luck charms to make room.  That of course changed their mojo and it was OUR fault.  Grumbling could be heard across the entire dungeon.  There was only one case where we had to move someone to another table.  The King rules with an iron fist, so they acquiesced.  

I'm taking a little break here, looking at the soothing pretty colors thinking .. you've only got one more hour!!  I can't tell you how much we made, but it was the best night ever for the charities, hospitals and schools we donate to in our County.  That's what makes all this frustration worth it.


At long last I counted up the $50 in quarters ... no, not kidding, piggy banks were broken on this night ... and actually got the infernal machine to balance.  Woohoo!!!

If I can get my act together today, I'll go pick up a few plants of some kind or other to fill in for the ones that died over the last few months.  Oh .. and I have some exciting news for tomorrow.  Stay tuned .....




7 comments:

  1. I'm glad Bingo was successful. Bless your heart for donating your time for such a worthy cause.
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Faced the "smelled like someone died" at the Public Library from time to time. Of course, "if" it was that bad, we had to ask them to leave, get cleaned up, and come back...pointing them in the direction of the Salvation Army where they allowed them to stay a night, take a shower, and get a free meal "IF" they got there by 4 pm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's sad to see some people living like that. We had a couple of homeless people playing for awhile, but they disappeared.

      Delete
  3. What? We have to wait until tomorrow???

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's it exactly Deb. Gambling and people don't always mix well.

    ReplyDelete