Monday, May 22, 2023

Running Makes You Feel Good

 Some mornings I wake up bright eyed and bushy tailed.  I think the last time that happened was in 2012.  Even though I wake up really early, it seems to be getting harder and harder to get moving.  I don't even open my eyes until I find the light switch.

Why get up so early?  Because there's a little white fluffy kid staring me down and sneezing right in my face.  That usually brings out five or six sneezes of my own ... and we are awake!!

Most mornings I slide out of bed and roll around on the floor a lot, listening to all the cracks and pops while trying to limber up enough to get to the door.  SO ... lets go for a run!!!

Running makes you feel good.  That's a lie.  Running is an addiction that never goes away.  It's always in the back of your mind ... I should run today.  I need to run today.  Come on, let's run today.  On this particular morning, I accidentally stepped on the scales.  Oh the words that came out of my mouth.  OK ... I guess we are running today.

I put on my running gear, and by the time I get to the socks, Cooper goes ballistic.  He loves nothing more ... not even his ball ... than going outside and heading down the road to smell the smells and water all the neighbors plants.


After fifteen minutes, he goes back in the house.  Otherwise, by the time we get to the end of this street, I'm carrying him.  Too bad I don't have someone to carry ME!  By the way, when I say run, I don't really mean that literally.  It's more like jogging as far as I can go while concentrating on breathing.  It's not hard because you suck down air like you are starving for it after the first 50 feet.  

Here's everything you never wanted to know about running.  At first, you run out of breath, so you walk.  After awhile, you find you can keep running if you take a big deep breath.  It seems to open up your lungs and now feels like you can run forever.  This happens at about the 75 foot mark.

That's when the pain starts in your legs.  No one ever said running feels good.  Your lungs are working nicely, but now your legs start to burn and you've only gone 100 feet.    Keep going ... keep going ... ok, I'm done.  I walk for 50 feet, then pick up the pace and run again.

Along the way I ran into the peacock.  This time he had his feathers completely spread out.  WHAT A BEAUTY!!!  I took two steps towards him to get a picture and he instantly put them down.  Sadly, I haven't seen any females in the pens, so he must be spreading out looking for another mate.  Boy was he strutting his stuff!!


More running while I admire everyone's plants that are blooming nicely while mine die, and I double check the fences for dogs.  I remind myself that I really should bring along my running water bottle, because by now my mouth is as dry as the Arizona desert.  I also wonder if that's really a good idea since at our age we shouldn't drink too much water away from the closest bathroom.  

About this time your mind begins to wander to old marathons and running the hills of San Francisco when you weighed MUCH less.  

And THAT is what brought about .... once again .... the infamous DIET.  If only you would weigh two pounds less every time you went out for a run, but NOOOOOO.  So I finally made it back to the house, albeit going a whole lot slower than when I started out.  

I park in front of the fan I put in the doorway to bring in some cool morning air.  Although I felt like I ran at least ten miles, turns out it was only 2.3.  This definitely won't be an every day thing.  Even in the old days, my routine was always to only run three days a week, with heal-up days in between.  Boy am I going to need that now.

Sufficiently cooled down and now STARVING, I went back to sewing this binding while I contemplated what a diet breakfast should look like.  GUESS WHAT!!


It's DONE!!!  I'm so excited to finally have it on my bed, if only for five minutes.  I took it off because it's obviously too hot to use in this heat.  Maybe come next DECEMBER, I'll get to put it back on the bed.


I finally downloaded a diet log app just to see what the problem was with my eating.  YIKES!!  Come to find out just two ice cream bars add up to what my calorie count should be.  Oh this is not good ... not good at all.  Maybe if I only eat salad for the next three months, I can get away with eating ice cream?

A very satisfying day it was, until I added up all those calories.  Oh Momma ... my diet needs a major overhaul.  I'm certainly not giving away all that ice cream I have in the freezer, but every time I want one, I'm going to step on the scales first!!  

Decision made ... it's salad for breakfast!!






17 comments:

  1. Very pretty quilt. We are still gathering material to do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see what fabrics you pick. It was a stretch for me, but boy do I love it!! I can't believe I actually made that pattern.

      Delete
  2. I remember the days when I felt like I was running on air and could go forever. That was 50 pounds ago. Now the only running I do is to the fridge to get the last ice cream bar before Barb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right??? Lucky for me I get ALL the ice cream bars and I don't even have to beat anyone to the punch!

      Delete
  3. No running for this girl LOL. I love both sides of the quilt. Beautiful. Now you're making me want an ice cream bar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha just the suggestion makes me want one too.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful quilt Nancy!
    Becareful running when it's hot weather.
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Frances. I only run in the early mornings when it's cool. No way could I go out in the heat.

      Delete
  5. Good for you if you are able to go jogging. It's been years since I did that and I rather do some exercising at home (where nobody sees me :-) That quilt you should definitely keep!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if running is doing any good weight-wise, but it does give me a little more energy.

      Delete
  6. When I want to lose weight, I have to stick to 300 calories for breakfast, 300 calories for lunch, and 400 calories for dinner. I suspect you know how hard that is to do.
    To keep from gaining it back, I have to stick to 400 calories for breakfast, 400 calories for lunch, and 500 calories for dinner. That's not actually any easier.
    Because, if I want a snack, it has to be subtracted from a meal.
    So, yes, an ice cream sandwich is at least one meal depending on which one you bought.
    Linda Sand

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow ... thanks Linda. That is good information to know. Ummm yes, I think I could make an ice cream sandwich a meal!! LOL

      Delete
  7. Good luck on the weight loss...I have lost each time I saw the doctor for the past three years...for a total of 13 pounds. She said, "You are going in the right direction..." Yep, like a snail running a race.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's actually very good Dave!! Especially if you've kept it off. I lose about 5 pounds, then put it all back on in the next 6 months.

      Delete
  8. I love ice cream bars!
    Your stories make me smile.
    Beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love them too Loree ... that's my problem! LOL. Smiling is good ... and I'm glad I can help.

      Delete
  9. Catching up, had to go back to this post to see what the heck is going on!!! You are running!?
    Right there you deserve a medal! I dislike running, tried it a couple of times but now, forget it. I'll walk fast instead. I don't think my walking, which is almost NIL right now, helps me lose weight but it did strengthen the bones. So the doc says. Good luck kiddo.
    That quilt is beautiful, yes, keep it for the winter.

    ReplyDelete