Tuesday, June 21, 2022

The Find Of The Year!!

 I thought Cooper was a barky dog, but the little guy across the way from my patio puts him to shame.  Every morning this kid is barking like crazy as I drink my morning coffee.  Sounds like a chihuahua!!

I was up a little late again, having too many late nights watching the Reno Rodeo.  The horses and bulls they have nowadays are far superior to days of old and buck like nothing I've ever seen.  It makes me laugh at some of the gyrations and contortions the horses do as I recall getting bucked off on several occasions.  

For many years I helped run the Practice Pen for cutting at the Horseman's Association.  It was hot during the summer, so I had a cooler with ice, along with a cash box full of change.  No use making two trips to the truck.  

I grabbed both and headed across the arena.  Showby was antsy to be done and jigged a little, making the change box rattle.  I saw those ears and knew I was in trouble, so I very quietly and gingerly dropped the ice chest off the back.  BAD IDEA!!

He took to bucking instantly.  I had one hand on the reins and one on the change box which was now making a huge racket, making him buck even more.  I landed on the ground, but my foot stayed in the stirrup.  

I was drug for maybe 25 feet when my foot came loose.  I was still holding the change box.  That taught me a very good lesson ... how to walk on crutches for the next two weeks.

I did actually get out and about early yesterday ... Monday is a good grocery day.  That's when I found my Find of the Year!!!  This is smoky Ranch Sauce.  They have several, but I do love that smoky chipotle flavor without the heat.  This stuff is the bomb!!!!


I'll be having tacos for the next six months!  It's supposed to be great on hamburgers too, but it made my day when I tasted these!!


As for the solar ... here's where I am on that.  I'm a single income accountant who is stingy with her money, which lets me purchase things I would like to have.  Having sold the motorhome and the big house payment that went along with it, I've been stashing that money in a mad fund.  Add to that what the government is forcing me to withdraw from an IRA account I started when I was 21 years old, and I have enough to pay for solar.  

I have no children and only one nephew that I have seen once in 20 years.  They tell me you can't take it with you, so I might as well spend every dime of it and enjoy it while I can.  I would prefer to buy horses, but they are MUCH more expensive than solar panels.  The horse would be around $5,000, with hay costing $3,000 for just one year.  Add to that $1,300 a year for horseshoeing, not to mention grain and vet bills and that solar money would be gone in a flash.

Right now I use about 640 kWh per month.  That will double if I run the air conditioning.  Oh it would be so nice to be cool and not have to pay double what I'm already shucking out.  Add to that the 20% increase in charges PGE will add after December.  My bill will go up to $300-350 a month.  That's $4,200 a year for electricity.  SO ... that's why I would like to get solar put in here, in spite of the cost.

As to the house, it's very well insulated with no leaking of air.  If I turn on the AC fan, I better check all the inside doors in the house to make sure they are either wide open or shut.  Otherwise, the air intake will suck them shut and scare the heck out of Cooper and I.  


The rest of the day I worked on this quilt.  Most all of the brown fabric looks like tooled leather.  It's just scraps I've picked up here and there.  I'm trying to use up some of the fabric I have and not buy any more.  

It's BINGO DAY yet again, and I spent another late night watching the rodeo, so I'll try to sneak in a nap before heading out to visit the peasants at the Castle.  Hopefully they leave their pitchforks at home.


16 comments:

  1. I'm addicted to the cowboy channel too. I bet you are wishing they had girls breakaway roping back when you were rodeoing. The gals today -- even the ones in high school -- are awesome. It takes something under 3 seconds to win a round.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty crazy!! In my day the only thing we could do was barrel racing. Maybe I'll be reincarnated!

      Delete
  2. Mr Ed
    If you’re only there six or seven months out of the year why not just treat yourself to A/C.
    With all the Horse riding stables in Arizona in your area why not volunteer And be a trail boss and get the free horse/s.
    To exercise they come with free food and vet bill with No housing and transportation costs. An you have your own saddle tacks.
    So you see you can save $2100 Over that six months
    Please don’t take this the wrong way but your blogs change… you seem a lot more carefree an happier when you’re in Arizona Than California

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's not that many places in my area where you can ride unless you have your own horse. I've already checked out a couple, but it's way too hot to ride there in the summer.

      Delete
  3. That Ranch Sauce looks good, will be on the lookout for it for sure!

    And you are right...can't take it with you, solar will add value to your house, comfort to you, and when a 'Lib' calls you names because you don't have an electric vehicle you can say, "Shut up, I've got Solar on my house!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that angle Dave ..... guess I'm just getting old!! LOL

      Delete
  4. Dave Burdick's comment...LOL LOL 😆 I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. $5,000 just gets you a starter horse nowadays. We have been looking for a broke trail horse for a friend and you cannot touch them for less than $7,500, more likely closer to $10,000, Just crazy for a trail horse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right there ... the last broke cow horse I looked at was $20,200. $5,000 buys a green broke colt and I'm probably too old for that bucking thing!!

      Delete
  6. I, like Elva, love Dave Burdick's comment. 😂

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a no-brainer to me for you to go solar. I wish I had been braver with my money than you are when I was your age (which I'm guessing is somewhere around 60 and a bit..I could be wrong on that) but I guess I thought I wouldn't live forever. Ha. I was wrong. Still here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I'm glad you're still here Judith!! I'm actually considerably older and was never brave with money. I don't know what happened to change that!!! LOL

      Delete
  8. Hi there,really agree to with D Burdich’s comments,lol.Amazon has a sale on right now on solar panels & complete kits— perhaps your experienced contractor friends could work with you to put it all together & is a lot less expensive.Who says you couldn’t pick up an electric car & charge at night off the solar- just continue to enjoy the process,your life is happening only once.Cheers,A James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you had an electric car, you definitely better have solar. I'm not for spending ALL my money, but since breaking horses is rather out of the question, I might as well be cooler in my old age!!

      Delete