Wednesday, June 15, 2022

Sugar and BINGO!!!

Although I wish the summer days of fun didn't get quite so sunny, I can't complain about the nighttime temperatures in the 50's.  I gather this is all coming from the storms way up north.  Sadly, they are devastating Yellowstone National Park.  It's completely closed now and several sections may be closed permanently.  It's going to take a lot of money to fix all those roads that are washed out.  Sometimes Mother Nature gets pretty mad.

Also sadly, once again, my sprinklers have decided to cut class.  I don't get it.  It's all set up, just like before, but it refuses to do it's job.  I'm pretty good at programming stuff, but this time it's leaving me in the dirt.  Big sigh ... maybe the third time will be the charm.

I decided I needed an extra shot of sugar to get me going for the day.  Sweetened condensed milk does it nicely in this key lime no-bake cheesecake.  


THAT ramped me up for you know what ..... BINGO!!!!  It's Bingo time at the Elks Lodge.  Luckily I got enough sewing done to take a couple squares with me to show the gal what I was doing.  I've no idea if she LIKES what I'm doing because I never got an inkling of what she actually wanted.  In other words, I'm quilting in the dark.  I'll post that picture tomorrow.  And so at 3:00 I was off to the Magic Kingdom.


Everything changes as suppliers skinny up on their services, making my job a little more difficult.  The cards now come in huge boxes, with bundles being so heavy they are awkward to handle.  The only good part is this schedule sheet which we follow religiously, has gone from four sheets down to one. 

It lies about the door open time ... they now let people in at 4:00 because "it's just so hot outside".  So why do the peasants come and stand at the door at 3:00?  They cry about how they pay the King's bills, so he feels sorry for them.  In spite of my protestations, they come in like a horde of ants spreading out across a picnic table and instantly get in line.  It's good luck to be first you know.

The first five games are like regular bingo.  All the other games can only be won if you have the combination of numbers shown in the little boxes.  This is not your kids bingo of old!!  


It takes me 60 minutes to get set up, fill the dobber rack, rack up supplies, set up the debit card machine and count the money, all the while being stared at through the door.  As I get ready, the players line up, running around the entire room.  I start selling at 4:30 and go for two hours straight.  The line never relents until about 6:20.  This is not a job for the faint of heart!!


Once the regular games begin, I get to relax while I count out the next 130 red tickets, restock everything and try to make sure everyone pays for what they grab off the table.  It only gets bad this time of the month when they bring in all the change from their kids piggy banks.  I hate counting change, mostly because they are never right in THEIR counting.  At least every third one shorts me money, causing panic when I take the cards back.  

Here's a shot of the Castle Dungeon.  Look closely at that first table.


I was trying to be discreet ... but see the huge photocopy dollar bill standing up there?  It may even be a phony $100 bill.  It's attached to a stand that holds a piece of paper with pictures on it and a ribbon down the back.  That's one of the good luck charms they use.  Their dobbers are equally special when lined up in the correct order, along with little statues, pictures of Saints, their grandkids shoelace and pieces of gum.  I kid you not, it's crazy!!


The only fight on this night was over who stole that hamburger from the kitchen.  You are supposed to provide your ticket, but that doesn't always happen.  To keep the peasants from killing the cooks, another hamburger was produced.  Truly it could be the one protesting that didn't really pay for it.  Who knows!!  

And so another Bingo night with the peasants passed rather quickly as I paid out another record amount in jackpots.  Minus the cost of one hamburger.


8 comments:

  1. Your key lime cheesecake looks awesome! I would love that with a cup of coffee in the am! YUM...Just curious..if the doors open at 4 or 4:30 what do these people do until 6:30? So sad abut Yellowstone, one of my favorite parks ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bingo players just sit there. Some will group up and talk, the rest just ..... sit there! They must be there early to save their seat!!!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It's certainly a different form of entertainment.

      Delete
  3. Got to love Bingo. All those combinations are interesting. Yellowstone....some people in the RV groups think that in a couple of weeks they will be able to enter the park. I guess some people don't watch the news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The damage in Yellowstone is devastating. It's going to be a long time before all that is fixed.

      Delete
  4. I admit it, I took the hamburger. Glad to hear it went good this week, now you can relax....until next week!

    ReplyDelete