Monday, June 13, 2022

It's TESTING Day

 I'm back on the patio.  Thank you Mother Nature for relenting a little this morning.  It's a lovely 62 degrees as I enjoy my hot cup of phony coffee.  By the way, just for giggles, here's the TALL cup from Starbucks.  I spotted this on a friend's Facebook page and I'm going to test out the theory.

I don't drink Starbucks coffee, or any of the concoctions they make.  They are way too expensive for my taste.  Here's the latest theory .... the tall cup holds the exact same amount as the Grande cup, which holds the exact same amount as the Gigantic (or whatever they call it) cup.  

How could that be you ask?  "They" say the taller the cup, the smaller around it is.  If that's true, it's a marketing ploy like no other since you pay MORE for the larger sizes.  I'm going to test it out today, just because I have absolutely nothing else in my life to do at the moment.  Okay, there are a few things, but this nonsensical thing might keep me out of the fridge and off the streets!!

Cyndae and I were up early, ready to plant the new additions to the family.  These two will grow to about three feet around and add a little color to this front section.  Luckily I have nothing but sand around here, so no blisters showed their ugly heads.


All the while we were planting, we discussed the lawn.  Tis better to water longer on less days or to water less every day?  That is the question!  If I were to keep my lawn green and gorgeous, I would run the pump 4-1/2 hours, five days a week.  That's 22.5 hours!!  Crazy, right??  I've always complained about that (and never did it because I'm too cheap), thinking it's such a waste of water and electricity.  It's why my bill is so high even when I'm not here.


So today we are going to begin a new scientific test.  The ground is sandy.  Water runs right through it.  It seems to me I should be able to water more days for much shorter times and the grass will keep it's beautiful green color.  The accountant added it all up and thinks the sprinklers will run 5 hours less per week on the new schedule.  If I'm completely out in left field, let me know.  

That's when we discovered THIS!  Cyndae says it happened to one of her shrubs and someone said it was a kind of bug.  She got something and poured it on the roots, saving the plant.  Anyone know what that might be?  It's happened to one other shrub I have too.  Maybe I should become a Plant Doctor when I grow up.


I spent the rest of the day putting stuff away, cleaning up and even ran my dishwasher for the first time in probably five years.  You know, just to keep it working.  I looked at that fabric for the quilt I have been asked to make ... because I made one for someone else (big mistake) ... but nothing jumped into my head as far as how to make it.  

Weirdly enough, the heat dissipated, the wind came up and it looked like rain was coming our way.


This morning it's cool and breezy ... yahoo for coolness!!!  I've got a string of errands to run including my Starbucks test, and I need "before" pictures of the lawn, so I better get with the program.  


12 comments:

  1. Mr. Ed’s
    if you like burnbucks coffee, have at it you could duplicate that any morning by burning your coffee. I’d much rather have Mickey D’s if I’m that desperate
    Also I don’t understand the hype its five bucks for a regular small cup of coffee But then again burnbucks is not a fast food restaurant
    But the answer to your question is here
    https://www.tasteofhome.com/article/starbucks-coffee-sizes/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seeing as how California is going to run out of water you could always grow rocks 🪨🔥🌚 Instead of putting a sprinkler in your garden Area Why not go with a soaker hose instead less water longer period of time… Same amount 🌺

      Delete
    2. I don't drink Starbucks anything!! I just think it would be funny to check out the theory!! All my garden areas have drip lines, no sprinklers. Sprinklers are only for the lawn.

      Delete
  2. Take two samples of the plant, one where the growth is still green, the other where it is 'dying', along with the picture, to Merced Gardens and Nursery. Also, they could help answer your question about how to water your lawn.

    When I first worked in the Restaurant business we had a large and a small beverage...the difference was about 1.5 ounces, and we finally convinced the owner that we should just have one size of beverage with free refills, and then a much smaller 'kids portion' which automatically came with the kids meal menu pick. We charged a bit more for the beverages, but the free refill was a hit. Note: Back in the late '70's we got $1.25 for the beverage, and it cost us around 8 cents in syrup and carbonated water to make it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Syrup is definitely the way to go!! Now that's a profit!!

      Delete
  3. There's a magic trick that, in part, uses that taller but thinner concept. You start with a pitcher and end up with a tiny glass while pouring all the liquid from each container to the next one. It always fascinated me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It fascinates me too, so I just want to try it out.

      Delete
  4. I’m interested in what you decide re the Starbucks.
    Looking forward to your findings!
    Yep, I bet your garden supply will have answers
    about your plant. Could it be ants in the soil?
    Always enjoy your posts!!
    Linda a.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure could be ants. They are everywhere around here.

      Delete
  5. 60's is our favorite temperature, it is 62 and rainy today and we have all the windows open!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the 60's temps too! This morning it's 42 feels like 40 and it sure does LOL. Going for 82 so a nice afternoon :) I tend to agree that a garden center could answer your ??

    ReplyDelete