Saturday, May 16, 2020

Say Goodbye ..... Sniff Sniff

Having been born and raised on a cattle ranch, I've been attached to horses all my life.  This is me at about three years old on one of our horses in the high desert, just before it became Lake Isabella.  By the time I was four I had my own horse Pico.

You can tell us kids rode a lot ... we had our own kid-version saddles.  By five and six, we were helping gather cattle, pushing them into chutes and playing cowboys and Indians.
We basically went broke.  The cattle business became a big corporation game and we were small potatoes with 300 head of cows and calves.  I never could give up the horses.  Finally having worked outside the ranch and saving up every penny, I bought two horses again, along with a small trailer.

I always wanted to show horses, but was quite a bit older when the opportunity presented itself.  We never could afford all the gear required for competition, let alone the expensive horse to make it happen.

At long last, having inched my way into the cutting horse world locally, I purchased this trailer for about what a house cost.  I hauled it and my two horses everywhere.  It's been to Oregon, Idaho, Nevada, Southern California, all over the West Coast.  It's a long story, so I'll tell it some other time.

The Chance family arrived at 8:45.  I had moved the motorhome out of my back yard so there was plenty of room for us to see if this was actually going to work.  Mark and Dan moved the hitch up as high as it would go.  We all held our breath as I raised up the trailer.

Mark gingerly backed up, not being able to see anything.  He'll get used to that forward, back, forward, back stuff eventually.  I lowered the trailer onto the hitch.  We breathed a sign of relief when there still remained about six inches between the overhang and the top of the side rails.  Yeah, he may just have to lower his truck three more inches.
That's when the real work began.  Mark and Dan couldn't get ANY of the lights to work.
He had two chances, one the 5th wheel hookup in the side rail and two, the regular bumper hookup.  Neither worked.  It took a full three hours and blowing a fuse, along with lots of frustration before finally getting things to work.  Turns out it was probably just corrosion on the trailer plug.  I now have this schematic totally memorized.  You need your trailer wired?  I can tell you which wire is which!!
Actually, Laila and I just sat back and watched.  I showed her how to load the horses and gave Mark the spiel about how to give your horse a good ride so he arrives without a broken leg.  The horse, not Mark.  In the meantime, Dan loaded up all the horse troughs in the back.
At long last, every light worked ... or at least the important ones did ... and the brakes made a clicking noise.  It's a go!!!  After a quick trip to Auto Zone to pick up a new fuse to replace the blown one, they were off as I cried in my beer, or pepsi actually.
Say goodbye to your life Nancy!!  There's no use letting it sit and rot for another ten years.  I can't travel to Arizona and have horses too.  It's just not affordable nowadays.  Better to let someone get good use from it, making a little girl happy like I always wanted to be.  

In the meantime, I am going to take Mister Ed's advice and see if I can find some stables around Tucson that might let me take rides out over the trails.  
I instantly felt a great sense of loss that lasted the rest of the day and I didn't sleep at all.  I sent Dan a text message telling Mark he wasn't allowed to wear shorts when pulling horses in the trailer.  Etiquette and all ... even in the Arizona heat, levis are required.  

I sent Mark a message saying when I got there at the end of June, I was going to sleep in the trailer a couple of nights.  It might make me feel better!!






17 comments:

  1. You did a good thing .. somehow or other I still see you somehow showing up at the empire cattle Ranch for a Horse ride

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On a brighter note... you have a jeep... have you ever found the Easter eggs in it when you get a chance you need to look

      https://interestingengineering.com/jeeps-have-easter-eggs-hidden-somewhere-and-people-are-finding-theirs

      Delete
    2. You've got that right ... I am sure going to try and ride somewhere!!
      How weird about the Jeep ... never heard of that. Guess I'll just have to go look!!

      Delete
  2. You are a very sweet person and I'm sure you will enjoy watching Laila and her riding! I'm thinking you'll also enjoy seeing the trailer get used for what it's meant to be. It sure looks good hooked up to the big truck! Laila is such a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laila is a lucky girl that her parents are all for this horse business. You're right, the trailer is being used and that's a good thing.

      Delete
  3. Oh I forgot to mention how cute you are on the horse! Love those old pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rather ancient! I didn't even have a cowboy hat. That was the hand-me-down keep-your-ears-warm snow hat! LOL

      Delete
  4. You did a good thing with the Trailer. Chalk it up to a different part of your life. We all have to downsize eventually.
    I felt the same way having to give up tools it had taken years to collect when we sold our house.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some things are just really hard to let go of.

      Delete
  5. Awww, so bittersweet. Heart-rending for you, yes, but so exciting for Laila! We've already seen how deft you are at capturing shots of bronc riders in action, now you can ride your tripod to Laila's shows & document her competitions with photos. [Memo to Laila: don't even think about barebacking any bucks, missy, or the trailer goes right back to Aunt Nancy's house.]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahah Leilani .. that's funny because my quilter's mother rode broncs in her younger days ... like the real rodeo ride-em-cowboy type. Pretty crazy!!

      Delete
  6. You lean forward to go
    You pull back to go slow
    These are the horse basics
    You should know

    There's no use to wait
    A girl and her horse will never separate
    You were done before
    The gun at the starting gate

    And away she rides
    To the great unknown
    You can wave goodbye
    And spend some time on your own
    And wonder why

    Sometimes you find you fall far behind
    On the course
    Some things are best left
    Between a girl and her horse...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwwww ... definitely true. Not many people get a chance to have a horse life.

      Delete
  7. A sad post but it was a wonderful gesture, Nancy. Look at that smiling face on that young gal! That has to make your heart swell with pride too!
    I'm sure you'll be able to sleep in when you visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was pretty excited ... almost as much as her Dad was!!

      Delete
  8. It's difficult closing out chapters of your life. However, you did a great thing for a young horsewoman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS Allison ... it's not fun, but I know she will get years of enjoyment out of it and I can use it any time I want. You just never know!!

      Delete