Sunday, May 3, 2020

Another Exciting Day At Home ... Woohoo!!

My plans to get out were waylaid yesterday by a number of things.  My weeds are in desperate need of spraying before they take over my house and yard completely.  Yes, that's the job of the gardeners, but alas, I don't know how to say ROUNDUP in Spanish, or HEY you're supposed to pull those weeds.  I did do a lot of pointing, but it didn't help.  I ended up doing it myself by hand.

One thing you cannot do is spray when there is a breeze.  Lucky for us, there has been a nice cool breeze every morning and most of the day, meaning most of my weeds await.

Instead, I'm trying to clean out every room in the house.  I started with the smallest of course.  You literally could not walk through this room for the piles of junk.  I really tried not to play musical chairs with the "stuff" and disposed of everything I could.  

I even cleaned out one entire shelf where I stashed my hoarding load of paper towels, all six rolls.  I was so proud until I realized my crock pot was sitting on the kitchen counter.  It lives where the rolls were residing.  I spent another thirty minutes trying to fit everything in.
Really, this staying home stuff is NOT fun.  So in other news, have you realized that we used to watch the completely impartial news (like Walter Cronkite for example) and then make our own decisions?  Now it seems they give us THEIR opinion of the news and we are supposed to believe every word without question.  Here's an example of their handiwork.

The image on the right is from the New York Post talking about Jacksonville Beach in Florida, a trustworthy newspaper, right?  The image on the left is from Newsbreak.com discussing Los Angeles.  Which one do you think is correct?  I guess it doesn't matter if you don't tell the truth with pictures, which are exactly the same one.  I just get a kick out of stuff like this.
There was some very good news however, when I balanced my checkbook.  Being an accountant, I really have to do that once in awhile.  Every April I get a cost of living raise in my retirement check.  It's one of the benefits of having worked for the County for 25 years.  

Of course they did away with that for anyone who was hired after me.  If you came onboard after something like 1980, you get nothing, making it hard to live on your unchanging income as prices skyrocket.  I'm a very lucky girl and I know it.  That extra $150 a month will come in handy.

I did get out long enough to see the farmers in this area planting crops like sweet potatoes and tomatoes, so at least there will be food on our tables.  I see some Governors are trying to keep their states locked down for another month so they can get more federal money.  It's sad there is always an agenda.  

Anyone seen a politician with unkempt hair lately??  They opened up Veterinarian offices and pet store dog grooming here.  Woohoo!!  Maybe we can talk them into haircuts.

So for dinner I finished off the first rack of ribs.  The Sheriff has about a dozen 30 gallon steel cans with holes cut in the top and sides.  He skewers the ribs and places them inside the barrel with mesquite chunks of charcoal burning at the very bottom.  It's a sight to see the smoke rolling up out of all those barrels at once.  The end result is divine.
And so another day has passed.  I hope y'all are not going crazy being locked up.  Congrats to everyone brave enough to fight and to those who are opening up their restaurants.  By the way, Tombstone has said they will be open for business starting this week.  If you're in the neighborhood, give them a shout out.







10 comments:

  1. Keeping busy while staying Safe helps pass the time of day.
    Researching Viruses yesterday I was surprised at how many people died from many of these. I'm certain that those affected did not think it was a party.
    Be Safe and Enjoy your increased income.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have done the same research starting with the Spanish Flu, the Asian Flu, the Swine Flu ... surprising how much worse those were than the one we have now.

      Delete
  2. Yep, LOTS of Fake News stuff out there. When Jacksonville opened up their beaches, some news outlets showed pictures taken from the previous year...large groups of kids having parties all over. The truth was that few people went out, most walking along the beach, no 'groups' at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They lie I'm telling you!!! It's also in the perspective of the image. Shoot it one way and it looks crowded with people close together. Shoot it from another angle and gee ... everyone is far apart!!

      Delete
  3. We both retired from Sacramento County and certainly enjoy our yearly raises, but not near $150...still every bit helps. :) Your laundry room is looking awesome. I need to clean out every room too..not for moving of course ,just living. Funny how "stuff' just piles up! Yep tons of FAKE news. Nice the Sheriff did that with the dinners..special people out there! Ribs look awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just don't understand the reasoning behind the lies, other than they are trying to make someone look bad. On to the next room!!

      Delete
  4. Raises on pensions? Must be nice.
    Arizona State hasn't done that and don't see it in the future. Still glad we have that pension anyhow.
    Love the pictures of the fake news.
    Not my kind of outside temps, to go out. Going to stay in and cook in the Crock-Pot. No not those yummy looking ribs but stew. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The raise came from way back when we got 11% interest. Remember those days?? A cost of living increase was built in to every pension. The older you get past your retirement date, the greater the increase. Believe me, I KNOW I'm lucky.

      Delete
  5. Walter Cronkite and just the news a nice memory. A time, like you said, when we could decide what we thought. A time when you watched the news and did not wonder if it was true or not. Nice raise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss those days. I also miss the 11% interest rate, but I'm guessing we'll never see THAT again!!

      Delete