Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Thunder and Lightning ... OH MY!!

I have to say one thing for the desert ... it sure can put on a show!  One minute the skies are bright blue and the sun is shining.  The next minute, I get a storm warning.  Can't be, there's not a cloud in the sky.  Five minutes later, the heavens let loose.
That's when the thunder starts, so you KNOW there was lightning.  Ever since I updated my phone, I've been having trouble capturing this amazing power.  Many times it strikes in the clouds instead of hitting the ground.
So yesterday I sat outside in my camp chair just waiting and waiting.  I'd point right, it would strike left.  I'd point left, it would strike right.  FINALLY ... a good shot as the thunder roared and the rain came down in torrents.  The good thing is I don't need my sprinklers!  Yup ... that's another train in the foreground.
Flash flood warnings are everywhere, but luckily I sit on the side of a hill way above the riverbed below.  In spite of the rain, critters were out.  These baby gamble quail are so darn cute.  They come around every day for a drink from the saucer filled with rocks at the bottom left.  That way they don't fall in because quail don't swim very well.
In spite of all the thunder, lightning and rain, Mrs. Dove has been sitting tight on her nest.  
With all the clouds passing over, the sunsets have been amazing.  I haven't even had to move from the back patio.  It looks like this may come to an end for awhile however.  The forecast is for 90-95 degree days all this week, with just a few clouds.
That's too bad because I was looking forward to capturing more lightning.  I did have one tiny thought about being outside sitting in a chair holding up a metal instrument ..........
I'm in love with this Acacia tree.  It makes me feel like I'm in Africa.  I'm not all that hot on the bugs that come out at night and die by the hundreds on my patio.  Today I'll be buying a broom.
In the meantime, I found some reflectix for the rig insulation (had to buy 50 feet of it) and stopped by a local nursery for some gardening help.  

By the way ... did you notice I just completely ignored Friday the 13th??  I figured if I pretended it was Friday the 10th, that nothing would happen.  And it worked!!!!!!



15 comments:

  1. Awesome pictures of the skies !
    Love watch the storms when we see them but nothing quite like that here.
    Oh but you did mention Friday the 13th....just now....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But it's past now, so no worries about THOSE Fridays. LOL

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you Jan ... I love capturing images like those.

      Delete
  3. I have always wanted to catch a lightening strike...good job with that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Use the video camera on your phone Dave. Although not as easy to catch them at night ... daytime is much better.

      Delete
  4. Cheap suggestion
    Next time you go by a pawnshop pick up of electric leaf blower you may pay anywhere from $15-$25
    They also make a great hairdryer,,, there are a dozen other uses for it as well
    I didn't suggest gas,, But Electric is plug-in go,

    I know you're happy with your camera but have you noticed the prices of the mirrorsless cameras are coming down

    And speaking of Apple iPhone if you plan on getting the new Apple 8
    Beware of the new feature it's called an e-Sim
    You cannot put your existing Sims card in the new Apple
    It can only be program at the store
    It's to keep you from switching carriers so if you're happy with what you got clap your hands
    And it's agood chance all the rest are going to follow

    Ask and you shall receive
    Surprise surprise ,, miss Nancy here's latest technology you CAN take pictures of lightning, and then some with your iPhone,, it's called. slow shutter cam for 1.99$
    If you look around you may find some that are free but I'm not sure
    You already have your mini tripod put it to use under the porch canopy
    Read here
    https://iphonephotographyschool.com/lightning/

    And if it's slow motion and frame stop that you want, they have an app for that to.... ain,t. modern technology great go to Google play or Apple Store
    Byline photography
    Don't be a Bad Girl in a candy shop not all are free


    Sent from my iPad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to add this
      https://whatphone.com.au/sim-only-byo-plans/the-esim-and-what-it-means-to-you/apple-introduce-e-sim-in-next-devices/

      Delete
    2. That's interesting about the phones. Never heard of them doing that ... but I supposed it does keep them from going somewhere else, until someone figures out how to get around it.

      I've been using my phone for lighting pics, it's just harder to isolate the 1/100th flash from the one second take. Slow shutter cam sounds interesting though ... and I think my budget can handle it!!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you Carol .... it's fun to capture things like lightning!!

      Delete
  6. Great pics Nancy, love the one with the lightning strike and the train.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In agreement with everyone else, your pictures are awesome.
    the lightning is great BUT my favourite is the Quail family with their babies! I hope you don't mind that I saved it and if I post it anywhere will give you full credit. Thank you for that morning smile. My favourite thing of the southwest. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can copy and post anything on my blog Patsy!! When little, they are about an inch tall. Cute as buttons!

      Delete