Sunday, July 29, 2018

Lightning Strikes Again .....

And again and even again for about two hours!!  All of these images would be better if the camera had been on a tripod, but there was no way I was going out to the motorhome to get one.  This has to be one of the craziest storms I've ever been in.

It's routine around here I'm sure, but the kids and I were getting nervous.  What if it hits the house?  What if it strikes the motorhome?  Mesmerized, I couldn't leave the patio.  I sat there taking hand held shot after shot, keeping the mirror open for 12-18 seconds (while I held my breath so as not to move the camera), just waiting for the strike.
I wasn't disappointed.  Every strike illuminated the rain pouring from the sky.  
These are all facing North, the perfect vantage point.  It didn't take long before the lightning strikes came one after another.  As fast as I clicked the shutter, another one hit the ground.
Two strikes at once ... three at once.  The sky lit up like a fireworks show.  Not only were they hitting the ground, but flashes came from the clouds above at the same time.
That's when I heard the crack to my right.  I jumped up out of my chair and ran for the door.  The thunder was instant and deafening!!  WOW that was CLOSE!!!!  That dark area top right is my patio cover.
I gathered my wits and went right back outside.  I just couldn't help myself.  Sitting a little farther underneath the patio, another blinding strike hit the ground almost in front of me.  Truthfully, it was probably down near the railroad tracks, but it was enough to make me cry UNCLE.
One last picture ... as always with people who photograph stuff, we need just ONE more image.   Okay, I'm done.  That was just WAY TOO CLOSE!!  I ran inside just as the rains came down in torrents.  I've never seen anything like it.
How can it rain like that when it's 103 degrees outside?  Yesterday afternoon, it did it again.  Not near as much thunder and lightning, but the rain that came down was epic.  I haven't checked to see if my motorhome is still there.  Hopefully it didn't fall off the mountain it sits on!

This Arizona monsoon season has pretty crazy weather!  You're probably going to see lots of lightning strikes in my blog!!  

Unfortunately it's supposed to happen again tonight as I trot off to the local poker game about 30 miles away.  That's probably not too good for the puppies who will be alone and locked up in jail.  I'll have to leave the radio on real loud.  Wish me luck, both with the poker and the rainy night drive!!  






16 comments:

  1. Wow some amazing pictures, must really be something to experience. Ok good luck with the drive and poker winnings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing to watch. I've never seen anything like it before. SO MUCH LIGHTNING!!

      Delete
  2. Amazing! I have been very close to strikes like that too...so close the hair on my arm stood up, you can feel the electricity in the air. Of course, I am INSIDE and not outside...lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly ... you can FEEL it! Never ever had I experienced this much lightning1

      Delete
  3. That's the beauty of mother nature putting on a free spectacular laser pageant For you⚡️⚡️⚡️
    Upper atmosphere is cold ❄️ lower atmosphere is warm🔥 Produces friction
    But what's really interesting is the amount of water that could come out of one cloud ⛈
    Say If you have enough wind,,,, why don't you fly your kite.
    When it's up as high as it go,s tie it to the 💩 palm 🏝tree
    If your in luck 🎲holds mother nature will take care ⚡️🤷🏿‍♀️👏
    But don't forget your 🎥 funniest home videos needs NEW material
    If you have that much lightning again an as frequent, do a video
    You can post your video on the blog
    Wrap the dog in a blanket will usually calm tham down
    They also make a thunder shirt for dogs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uh no, I'm not flying my kite, but actually I think that would work!! LOL Checked into those thunder shirts ... $47 ... think I'll find some small baby clothes to stuff her into.

      Delete
  4. You should be taking photos for the Arizona Highways magazine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you Jan .... but I doubt they are good enough. I might just check into it for fun.

      Delete
  5. I hope you were sitting in a plastic chair not a metal one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes ma'am!! The cheapest white plastic they make!!

      Delete
  6. Kind of off topic
    I know you guys like big trains, but have you ever been to this little train museum. On YouTube it looks cool
    Train Mountain Railroad Museum Oregon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not that I know of Ed ... I will ask. Looks like it would be cool. Largest caboose collection!!

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Hope I get more ... even better with a tripod.

      Delete
  8. What are your settings for the lightening flashs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With my iPhone, I use video, then when reviewing you can stop the action and take a snapshot.
      For the Nikon, it's on Manual, BULB, F7.1-F8 for night pics, ISO about 700. I held the shutter button down for about 10-12 seconds. As soon as you see the lightning flash, let go of the button. Also, be sure to have your focus on manual (a button on the lens for me), then set the focus to infinity and back just a tad. Auto focus won't work in the dark. If you don't see any lightning, let go of the button and try again. Depending on the available light, any longer and it will be overexposed. Hope this makes sense.

      Delete