Monday, July 16, 2018

Sunsets And Sewing

Unlike Arizona, who usually has beautiful sunsets every night, California rarely has any, at least where I live.  About the only time you see gorgeous colors is when there is a fire somewhere, which was the case here.
It was so smoky from a fire WAY up North that we actually had some beautiful colors before I left.
Here in Arizona, they have storm clouds making for beautiful sunsets almost every night.  I'll post some tomorrow after I process them.  It's the monsoon season, something I've never experienced before.  

You never know which direction the storms are coming from.  Some times it's from the North, some times from the Southwest and yesterday, it just swirled all around in a big circle.

Also unlike California, when it rains here, it RAINS.  No wonder I see all those FLASH FLOOD warnings.  Good heavens .... water fell from the sky like gangbusters most of the day.  I just never had any idea it rained in the desert like it does here.  Boy are the cactus and trees happy!!

That meant I stayed in most of the day, getting absolutely nothing done in the yard.  It was a good time to work on that block challenge I picked up from the internet.  Here's blocks #3 and #4.
I've never sewn this precisely in my life.  It looks rather difficult, but is really easy if you follow the directions.  Jack the Ripper and I had a few tussles ripping out seams and resewing, but mostly it came out okay.
I did make one quick trip to the fabric store when I discovered I used a piece for this quilt in another one.  Okay, to be honest, it was the third trip I've made in five days.  This quilt called for 21 fabrics, three of which I had not yet purchased.  

I wasn't able to stop for a picture, but the rivers are running wild and crazy from all the water.  I've never seen anything like it.  Completely dry during February and March, they are full to the brim now.

In the meantime, just to keep myself out of trouble, I baked up some more peanut butter cookies, this time adding peanut butter chips to the mix.  Here's my secret ... I keep them in the freezer and pull out just one after dinner.  I choose not to think about how many that adds up to in one month.
This morning I'll be back to chopping and hacking in the yard before trying to clean out the sprinkler valves by myself.  I'm sure hoping that goes well!!  Then it's off to Lowes to purchase a cover for the valves to protect them from the sun and to provide shelter for lovely critters like snakes and scorpions.  

Note to self:  Find a BIG stick to keep by the sprinkler valves!





11 comments:

  1. Nice that you got ti experience the monsoons somethings we would love to see, maybe you can a picture or two for us to witness.
    Nice to have indoor hobbies when you need them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll definitely take a few pictures for you, but it's the thunder and lightning that really put on the show. So far I haven't had much luck with the lightning. Seems when I updated my phone, it changed some of the camera settings, so I'm having trouble capturing it.

      Delete
  2. When you're out in the yard, are you looking under the bushes before you put a hand under there? We were told to never put a hand or foot into any area where you can't see clearly. I kept forgetting that when pruning, fortunately there were no snakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think about it every time I go outside, but have to admit I haven't been all that careful. I do keep a close eye when I let the dogs out. Snakes are not my favorite unless they are under glass.

      Delete
  3. If you want to remove a palm tree in the desert soak the ground around it for a couple of days Mr.Cs big earthmover can make short work of that!

    If you could find a gardener that wants a free palm tree sometimes they will take it off your hands for Free and transplant for somewhere else (new customer)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea, but Mr. C's tractor can't get in the yard. It's surrounded by concrete block. Gardener suggested cutting it about three feet up and making it a plant stand! LOL

      Delete
  4. Try a water trough bucket not all that expensive turn it up side down and then put dirt all around it so no critters can get in , or under
    no wacky stick needed
    https://www.truevalue.com/oval-tub-weather-rust-resistant-steel-7-5-gals?ctplacement=155061-275325277633&cid=gooshop_top50

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly what I need. No use taking any chances with snakes or scorpions!!

      Delete
  5. 21 fabrics! That’s not typical is it? I would be greatly discouraged with the pattern and that required 21 fabrics! I’m sure some of them were remnants....but just keeping them organized seems like a big job in and of itself.

    But then I just knit..… I actually volunteered with a quilting group associated with the church that generated quilts for a women’s shelter. I learned a lot of great tips and tricks. I just hope I can remember them by the time I start quilting myself.

    They put out the most gorgeous quilts. But then again it was about 20 older women that just loved quilting!

    I love all the pieces you make! Thanks for posting!

    Lauri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 21 is not typical, and I found out after I bought 18 of them that I could have used my stash ... not that I had any of those colors ... but it would have been cheaper. Many cuts were only 1/4 yard and I did use some fat quarters. If you knit, you're much more talented than me! I tried and tried, but just couldn't get the counts right.

      Delete
  6. Your quilt blocks are coming along nicely. 5 trips to your favourite store? You're restraining yourself! haha The quilt will be another lovely one.
    snakes and scorpions? Yikes!! Keep the shovel handy for sure!

    ReplyDelete