Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Scorpions or Snakes??

If you're my Facebook friend, you've probably already seen this guy.  Only the second one I've found, the first being under a rock outside on the patio.  I smashed him so quickly I didn't get a picture.

Probably the two worst critters around here to cause me angst are scorpions and snakes.  No one ever mentioned them until AFTER I purchased the house.  Apparently the smaller they are, the worse they are.  I don't want to find out.

Here's what happened ... I needed a plant for the corner where I tore out an oleander that was huge and rubbing up against the house.  I went to Civano's nursery, probably the most expensive in the neighborhood, just to look around.
I told the nice lady what I wanted and she showed me my choices.  This is a Convent Texas Ranger.   It only grows to 5-6 feet all around, perfect to hide the crawl hole and blooms with beautiful pink flowers.  She even placed it in the back of my Jeep, a thought that makes me cringe with fear.

As I took it out of the Jeep, now parked in my garage, I reached for the back door, only to see that baby scurry across the floor.  Was he in the plant?  Was he under the door?  WHERE did he come from.  I literally dropped the plant on the floor as I grabbed my shovel.  The dude made a wrong turn and came right for me.  SMASH!!!!!!!  I crippled him!  He's about 3 inches long.

This time I had the sense to take a picture before smashing him another 35 times until there was absolutely nothing recognizable but a smush on the concrete.  I truly didn't want to touch the plant again, but finally put on gloves and got up the nerve to park it in the dirt.  Now I wonder if there are any more scorpions in my Jeep??
She also gave me some tree and shrub stuff to kill the weevils that are killing my cactus.  Once I find a suitable bucket for mixing, that will be my next project.  I purchased the roundup at Ace Hardware, to use in keeping the lawn from invading the flowerbeds.  
I made one more trip to town for groceries after searching the inside of my Jeep from top to bottom.  Back home, I got out and headed to the very same door and what do I see ... ANOTHER SCORPION!!!!  What the heck???  Luckily I keep the shovel right there, so more slamming and smashing ensued until there was nothing visible.  Did he escape from the plant pot?  Did he come in under the door?  

I grabbed my household kill-everything spray ... having no idea if it's going to have any effect at all on those horrible little critters ... and soaked the garage from top to bottom.  I advise you don't walk barefoot in my garage.  

Next morning I find all these guys on my patio.  I've no idea what they are, but at least they are DEAD!!  I found a broom in the garage to sweep them up, but by the time I got to the steps, some birds were picking them up right and left for a quick breakfast snack.  THAT was awesome .. natures broom got rid of every single one.
It's been in the high 90's with thunderstorms every afternoon or evening, making it rather humid.  Nothing like back East however.  In the afternoons I just stay inside in my nice air conditioned house.

I'm totally done with the scorpions and hoping I don't run across any snakes this year.  They are a little more intimidating to hit over the head with a shovel.





17 comments:

  1. The joys of Home-Ownership.
    Watch out where you use the Roundup. If you spray your Flowerbeds it could kill your other plants.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm careful to keep away from the plants, but to be honest, it wouldn't bother me if a couple bit the bullet. I'd rather have cactus!!

      Delete
  2. Somehow I think you could handle snakes too. We spray our house two times a year with bug spray from Lowe's. We never see anything live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you Jan ... I'm so glad to hear that. I was getting concerned that maybe it wasn't working!

      Delete
  3. Rick and Kathy took the words right out of my mouth that 365 round up is a top-of-the-line killer ⚰️
    If any of your dogs or pets like to eat grass that's the last thing you want to use
    Another solution would be to take and get some ground ivy cover
    Once you planted let it spread. Give it a year or two and then mow the grass to the edge of the Ivy. usually the thicker the ivy the less grass grows due to lack of sunlight
    Or you could dig A trench if you want to about three or 4 inches deeper and put a plastic border around,, Lowe's and Home Depot and Walmart have them on a roll, and then backfill the trench
    Or get a bale of hay used the lose hay as a bordertry,, but make sure your border is at least 3 inches thick,, it will ensure no sunlight gets in and it also acts as a mulch over time, although you have to do it at least once a year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wooops Or get a bale of hay used the lose hay as a border

      Delete
    2. Hmmm okay, I'll be careful with the Roundup. I didn't know it was that bad!! I'll use it outside the fence from now on. I figured on making a border of brick, but it's WAY too hot to try that now! Maybe in the winter!!

      Delete
  4. Ugh. I'm having goose bumps from just your pictures. Not fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure why they scare me so much ... maybe because I'm always wearing flip flops.

      Delete
  5. What you need are a couple of "pet" roadrunners...they eat snakes, scorpions, bugs....now keeping them fenced in is another thing. Perhaps contact the Acme Corporation and see if they have anything. (Had to have watched the Roadrunner Show to get that joke)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE the Roadrunner!!! Got it for sure. Funny, I haven't seen any roadrunners around here so far. I usually see dozens of them.

      Delete
  6. You may want to google the use of Roundup & Alzheimer’s....I heard something about that the other day....

    Sorry to hear about the scorpions! Hopefully there won’t be many this year......

    I do believe those bugs may be June bugs....hard t tell from the belly!

    Keep cool!
    Lauri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that's interesting Lauri .... never heard of a problem. I'll check it out. June bugs ... I guess it's their time to shine, then they die. I never see them during the day.

      Delete
  7. Those scorpions can be pretty nasty nice that you found them a made them disappear, we only there in the winter and have never seen any of these critters . Guess we lucky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's probably the "spring" of the desert with all the rain and green stuff growing. Hopefully they disappear soon!!

      Delete
  8. Those critters and b.w. spiders are probably the ONLY reason I would never live in California or Arizona between April and October. You are mighty with the shovel! Go get 'em, girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The black widows only come out at night and if you spray, they die. The scorpions I have no experience with. Hoping it's just a phase that will pass quickly.

      Delete