Tuesday, July 24, 2018

The Most Amazing APP

Remember that bright star next to the moon I took a picture of last week?  Truly, I had no idea what it was and since my Dad told me the brightest star was always the North Star, that's how I identified it.  Funny, I was looking South when I saw it.

Anyway, NOW, with this new App, you can find out exactly what every single star is named.  Who knew they all HAD names??  All the credit goes to reader Mister Ed.  He sent an email showing me this new App that I just HAVE to share with you.

Have you ever looked up and wondered where Orions Belt was (besides in the movie Men In Black)?   Well now you can see it right on your phone as you look up in the sky.  You can even see it INSIDE your house if you wish.  It works anywhere.
Download the app and preferably go outside at night.  Hold your phone up to the sky and you will see this.  The background is actually the Arizona sunset I was looking at.  Superimposed over that is all the stars and planets.  Touch a planet with your finger and this image comes up telling you exactly what it is.  This is Jupiter.  Whoever came up with this is a genius.
Looking above my house was again Jupiter, even though I couldn't see it because of the clouds, along with another planet.  I wonder what THAT one is?  I tapped it to find out it was the moon.  
Just to double check, I turned the app off, and sure enough, there was the MOON!!  This is so cool!  I tapped on several tiny stars to find they all had names.  I never knew.  Here's another amazing thing ... I even found the space station.  Not that I could see it, but it showed up on the App.  If you WERE trying to see it, this will show you exactly where to look.  It even gives you it's flight path, as well as those of the planets.  What an amazing thing to share with your grandkids ... or even your kids.
It is an iPhone application found in the App store for free.   It's called Skyview Lite.  There has been one around for other phones for quite some time.  THIS one is a kick in the pants!!

So as temperatures soared yesterday to a whopping 107, I didn't venture out much.  It's only 102 in my home town, but smoke from the fires is making it difficult to breathe.  I'd rather be here.  

I finished the digging for lawn edging, filling in several more holes around the yard.  I actually bought a broom to sweep out all the dead black spiders in the garage from when I soaked the interior with bug spray.  Yes, it was a little toasty.  I'm hoping there's a little fat coming out with all that sweat, sort of like a built in sauna.

Someone informed me that I will never get rid of the scorpions, but if I keep spraying and kill everything on their dinner menu, they will go away.  That works for me.

In the meantime, I'm in a battle of the wills over two holes outside my yard.  Everyday day I stuff huge rocks in the holes, forcing them in with all my foot power.  Next day, the rocks are out.  I stuff in another one.  I'm running out of rocks, but determined whatever it is can go elsewhere.

From the size, I imagine it's a rat.  Too small for a bunny, too big for a desert recluse, which I think lives in the smaller perfectly round hole next door.  

While digging out one dead plant, I discovered four big fat nasty worms eating the base, which of course killed the plant.  This is what the nice lady at the nursery gave me the systemic for ... to mix up and pour around those plants and kill any weevils trying to suck the life out of them.  So that's today's plan, besides more sewing.  

And finally .. some good news about my awning.  But that's for tomorrow.




10 comments:

  1. Almost gives me the desire to get a smart phone...almost, but still a big "NOPE"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should get one Dave ... you will LOVE it!!!

      Delete
  2. It might be a mole in the hole. You can buy some solar things that emit a sound that will drive them away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it might be!! Never thought about moles around here! I've seen several little holes.

      Delete
  3. Hey, if we had some of your 107 degrees and you had some of our 6os, we both might be happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boy howdy!!!! I just completely revamped my next years schedule!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for tip on that phone app. it is really awesome! Love it. I will pass it on the my grands as well.
    Those critters in the yard can be frustrating hopefully they will go away for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That app is so cool it actually got me away from the couch and outside at night. Very fun to look at.

      Delete
  5. Probability is high that you have round tail ground squirrels. They're a colony critter and they tunnel everywhere. Our yard guy said to put cayenne or pepper flakes in the the tunnels, so they get it in their eyes. This sounds pretty cruel so we haven't done it. You may need a caliche bar to really mash the rocks into the tunnel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, I've never seen one, but you are probably right. The holes are about the right size. I just want them to go to someone else's house! LOL

      Delete