Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Drought Hits Home But UPS Delivers!!!

Even though we haven't had a lot of rain, my lawn has remained a gorgeous Saint Patrick's Day green up until 48 hours ago.  The downturn was dramatic and faster than the blink of an eye!!  Obviously this has a simple solution ... turn the sprinklers on girl!!!  There's nothing that can take the wind out of my sails faster than flipping the switch on something ..... and nothing happens!!  I had noticed the front landscaping lights, all TWO of them, weren't coming on, but I suspected it was the timer.
I soon discovered the culprit was this electrical box where they both plug in, receiving their dose of current .... or not, as was the case.  It has a GFI outlet ... the kind used in your bathroom so you don't electrocute yourself when you drop your hairdryer in the bathtub!!  Even when I finally got a screwdriver and pushed the reset buttons, nothing happened.  

Maybe the circuit breaker got kicked off ... but I wasn't to be so lucky today.  Thank God for good friends, because my shopping partner's husband is a very handy guy, who said he would be happy to come check it out.  With meter in hand, we discovered there was power, but the plug was toast.  
I raced to Home Depot for replacement parts ... geez, I could have bought a Steak and Lobster dinner with the $30 it cost for the plug and the cover!!!  While I turned the breakers off in the garage, all the time on the phone waiting for the "YES" when I hit the right one ... Fletch took the old one out, along with three huge spider nurseries ... sorry kids, life's short.  Fletch is my kind of guy ... he patiently explained exactly what he was doing ... and why ... so if this happens again, I can change the plug myself.  
The drought has been postponed ... the sprinklers are working and soon the lawn will return to it's emerald green self.  The good news is "I" don't have to mow it (I have a service), because it will now grow about 6 inches a week!!!
All this time I have NOT so patiently been waiting for my UPS delivery from New York.  I watched a little TV while keeping an eye on the front door, running to the computer every hour to see if there were any updates.  FINALLY .... at the eleventh hour .... 5:00 p.m., I saw the truck drive up.  I was out the door and standing at his step in a flash.   He jumped as he turned around, box in hand!!!  Yup ... I've been counting the seconds!!! 
I scribbled my name and ran inside to unbox my beauty!!  I discover a few changes from the D3 after checking out all the controls, and a few additions, as this camera takes video as well as still images.  I'm not really sure I will use the video, although at a kids birthday party, it would be priceless!!!  I spent the better part of the evening reading the one inch thick handbook, finding the sections where I want to change the programming ... and there are thousands of settings!!!  This machine is customizable to each particular photographer.  I'm guessing it will take me about three nights to get it set up to my taste ... at which time I'll try to find something pretty to point it at so I can post some pics.  
With all the hoopla yesterday, Cooper was pretty exhausted from following me around every step of the way, so he decided to catch a little shuteye ... but perched on the arm of the couch for a fast getaway should he hear something!!


No comments:

Post a Comment