Saturday, March 22, 2014

A Peek Inside The Mind Of A Runner!!

Ever look at those guys running down the side of the road and wonder what they are thinking??  I mean really ... WHAT are you thinking ... running for miles and miles ... you must be crazy!!!

I got started at this hobby about 36 years ago.  I was single and bored to death on what remained of the ranch.  One day, at the urging of an office worker, I headed out to the wild blue yonder.  Later, I met another runner ... the typical 98 pound gorgeous girl who could totally kick my butt ... and we began a training program for marathons.  She of course, went on to 50 and 100 milers while I was lucky to complete a few 26.2 mile marathons in the last 5 years.  When I got discouraged with the marathon organizers who only catered to the "4 minute per mile" group, I quit running for a couple years.  The problem is that once it gets in your blood, you really can't quit ... you are always saying "I should go run" in your head.

So now I'm back at it.

Still not the 98 pound speedy, I'm actually classified as a Clydesdale.  Cute huh???  If I didn't love horses so much, I would definitely be offended!!  Clydesdales are slow runners, always relegated to the back of the starting gates and exceedingly lucky of there is anyone left at the finish line to give you your medal and shirt.

As you run, all kinds of weird stuff goes through your mind ... here's an example of todays run.

Music on ... GPS watch on ... gee it's cold
Don't start out too fast
Coopie's so sweet ... he's howling
Don't get run over
It's Saturday ... Sunday is garbage day ... put the bins out
Keep running, you can do it, only two miles today
Whew that garbage stinks
There's a whiffle ball Cooper would like ... no, that's stealing
CAR
Lets speed up a little
No, lets not ... it's a Saturday slow run
Stop sign ... look both ways
Wonder what Miss Chance is doing
DOG
It's okay, he's locked up ... but if he gets out, at least I know what to do
That would make a nice picture
Crossing intersection .. look for cars
Lets speed up until you get to that telephone pole
OMG out of breath ... let's not do that again
TRUCK
Man walking looking down ... better move over
Move over far enough so you're out of reach
That's crazy ... you watch too many murder shows
Better run on the dirt here ... road is too narrow
Dirt slows me down
Darn goathead stickers get in my shoes.  I find them later in my carpet
EEEWWWWW dead possum on the road
Keep going ... halfway is just around the corner
Wonder why the sprinkler control box is open
Halfway ... drink and walk through the rest stop
Ugh I'm tired ... but let's go ... keep running
CAR
Remember that hill in the Nike Marathon??  Tough one
DOG
Hope he can't get out, he's a big one
Newspaper ... I'd sure like to read that.
NO THAT'S STEALING!!!
Keep running, you can do it, it's not that far
Hello hips ... I know you're hurting cuz you haven't run much lately
Hello hips ... you'll quit hurting soon
Rock in shoe
That house has too many cars. 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9
Wonder what's going on there?
See hips, I knew you'd quit hurting after a little bit
BIG DOG
Another man walking ... move way over
There's a car in that driveway, I could run to that house
You watch too many murder shows
Wonder what my time is ... don't look, it doesn't matter
Last corner ... keep going
Keep going
Keep going
YAY I MADE IT ... another 2.4 miles!!!
Where's the aspirin!!!


2 comments:

  1. I think Clydesdales are geeeorgous so you shouldn't be offended and I have the exact same thoughts when I'm running 100 miles in my dream. I was going to say 2.4 miles, but if you're going to dream then dream big.
    Joe Green

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha I WISH I could run 100 miles in my dreams OR for real!!!

      Delete