Monday, September 28, 2020

Those Embarrassing RV Moments

I know we've probably all had them ... those moments when we forget to check something.  I try very hard to be exacting in everything I do, but alas, tiredness and brain fade set in.

I wasn't the only one however.  As I was parked in Williams minding my own business, I spotted a Luxury Van Rental slowly driving past my front window with two women inside.  The word RENTAL on the van said it all.

They had not put the cap on their sewer connection correctly and were dumping "stuff" all along the road as they drove to the garbage cans.  There they deposited dozens of bags of junk, making me wonder where all that came from, along with even MORE sewage.  

I said something to the lady, who just gave me a weird look.  She had no idea what I was talking about.   Luckily the second lady came out and solved the problem ... sort of.  I hesitated, but called the office to report the damage so cleanup could commence.  I felt bad for the maintenance guy.

 So here I am parked at Newberry Springs.  With no power and my generator running loudly, I finally shut it off, turned on the inverter and stowed the dish satellite. 

I said my goodbyes to the ducks and headed out at 6:00 in the morning.  I literally did not sleep a wink.  Being 50 yards from the freeway full of trucks probably had something to do with that, not to mention it was HOT!!  In the mid 90's.


 I did my normal checks, but didn't bother with the dish since I knew it had stowed the night before.  ALWAYS CHECK AGAIN AND AGAIN!!  In 25 short miles, I was at Flying J to get fuel.  It's a good thing their ceilings are high.  

Yup ... there was that embarrassment BIG TIME.  The darn dish did not stow like it told me it did.  I quickly went inside and hit the button to wake it up, then again to STOW.  This time it worked.  It's bad enough to not check, but to have all those truckers snickering ..... oh yeah!

Back on the road, I made it through the new Barstow Hwy 58 beautiful freeway, down into Bakersfield.  I just don't get it.  That section has been under construction for what ... 5 years now?  And it's worse than it has ever been.  Not only that, but now the entire town of Bakersfield is having repairs on Hwy 99 from one end to the other.  It's a horrible mess, rough as all get out and hard to navigate.  Just for your info, Madera is now exactly the same.

It was so rough driving that the entire Dish satellite box fell out of the cabinet and onto the passenger seat.  When I was finally able to stop, I stuffed it all back in the cupboard.  Hopefully it still works.

Finally home, I unloaded the puppies, myself and some important things like food and camera, then headed off to the Pumpkin Patch.  I'm official this year since I have a Hunter Farms shirt instead of the new (but very awesome) red white and blue flag tee the kids wear.  

In two seconds I was hard at it getting the snack bar organized.  With all the new Covid crap, I mean regulations, things have changed considerably.  I restocked everything they were out of and proceeded to sweat up a storm.  It was over 90 degrees with humidity I'm sure in the 90's.  Wow it was HOT!!  

Five hours later I was home, collapsed on the couch.  This was my parting shot of the patch.


 That's not a light pole, that's the sun.  Although not smoky, it's pretty hazy.  The new schedule has us closed Monday and Tuesday except for pumpkin purchases.  I'll be going in for a short time, but don't expect to stay.  I've got lots of unpacking to do and pictures of the train ride to process for you.

14 comments:

  1. Oh Yuk! Well, welcome home! You certainly are a bundle of energy to drive like that and end up at the pumpkin patch working your tail off! I'm sure it'll be fun watching the kiddies enjoy! Hopefully it'll cool down soon for you out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a slow start, but people are driving from 60-70 miles away just to get out of the house.

      Delete
  2. Have you tried it. https://www.azcentral.com/story/travel/arizona/road-trips/2018/07/26/verde-canyon-railroad-prices-route-photos/820957002/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I have ridden it before. This is a GREAT train ride through some beautiful red rock country.

      Delete
  3. We've had minor glitches but not bad. Lucky you didn't lose your dish. Driving when you are tired is not fun.
    Perfect picture of the Sun on the pole.
    Be Safe and Enjoy the patch.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky is right!!! I haven't had time to see if it still works! LOL

      Delete
  4. Those truckers were envious that you have a satellite dish that locked in on a satellite while your drove so that people in the back (they don't know you only have dogs and a bird) can watch TV while you drive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If something can go wrong it will. I'm very forgetful so I try extra hard to check everything but still make mistakes. Glad you had the energy to make it thru the day in one piece. Enjoy the rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to check everything, even if I think I don't have to. I sure SHOULD have this time.

      Delete
  6. We have all forgotten one thing or another like that. Luckily nothing bad happened!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure I was lucky. Hopefully I have time to check it out this week.

      Delete
  7. Funny (well, not really) but no matter what experience we have, those forgotten steps are repeated time and again. We get good at double checking one thing we'd forgotten in the past and then something else gets missed. LOL
    Glad nothing happened to the dish.
    Enjoy your day off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right Patsy. I sure got a good lesson on how easy it is to make a mistake when you are tired.

      Delete