Friday, September 18, 2020

Royal Gorge Zip Lining

Wouldn't you know, the day I go to the longest and tallest suspension bridge in the U.S. (least I think it is only surpassed by two bridges in China) the wind blew in the smoke from surrounding states.  There's nothing worse for photos.  You may want to double click on the pictures to get the best perspective.

I started out early, hopefully to miss the crowds and my plan worked very well.  I was in the third parking spot.  Since everything is uphill here, I figured I would survive the hike at over 6300 feet with very thin air.  First up, ride the gondolas across the gorge.  If the wind comes up later, they are shut down. 


The bridge was built in 1929 at a cost of $350,000 only being $100,000 over budget.  That's $20 million in today's money.   The Royal Gorge Bridge and Amusement Company of San Antonio had a 20 year lease with Canon City who owned the surrounding land.  That line near the top is actually the bridge.


In 1931, an incline railroad was built to the bottom.  In 1969, the arial tram was built and they have added things like zip lining and rock climbing since.  Of course I checked out the rock climbing, but they were closed down.  Later I spotted their route, but they had huge steel bars you climbed instead of real rocks.  

 

 
The zip line was something like $50 for a 90 second trip while seated in a chair sling.  The entrance fee for this day was only $29, quite a discount due to Covid.  Zip lining, rock climbing and the sky coaster all had extra costs.  

After crossing the gorge on the gondola and hiking up the highest hill, completely breathless at the top, I got this picture from a lookout.

 

Further down the hill you can feed the fish and hang out on the merry-go-round with your kids.


 At one time there was a small gauge railroad that ran along the rim.  It no longer exists.



 The Royal Rush Sky Coaster was built in 2003.  I suppose there's nothing like the rush of flying through the air, but that won't be a feeling I try out.  I watched these guys while taking all of three seconds to say NO to this one.

What is really amazing is the cable bridge itself.  It's fascinating to see all the spliced wires running together.  Makes you wonder how in the world they built it.

 

 
In 2013 there was a  huge man-made fire that devastated the park.  All of the buildings were burned to the ground, but the bridge remained intact.  The aerial tram was destroyed, as was the incline railway to the bottom. 

 

 
In May of 2015, the park was reopened after $30 million in repairs.  Although there was a wildlife park (none of the animals were injured in the fire), they were moved to another location.  Here's the view from the bridge.  Hang on tight to your camera when you take these.

 

I have more pictures, but will post them later so as not to overload you.  To the right of the river are the train tracks that we will cruise along soon.   Did I really ride the zip line?  No ... I'm too cheap for a one way 60 second ride.  Now if they went back and forth a couple of times, I would have been first in line.

Besides, I found a QUILT SHOP in town!!

 

12 comments:

  1. We've been there a few times over the years and each time it gets more expensive and more touristy but still something to see. We were there not too long after the fire, locals were saying it was an inside job, for the insurance $$ so they could build bigger and better..so who knows?! The pictures do make me dizzy! haha. Glad you are enjoying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that's interesting info. They said the fire was set on the North side. They sure pay big bucks to the city.

      Delete
  2. That place looks awesome, I would have to do the zipline if we ever get there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good zip line ... 1,000 feet in the air. Lots to see and do here.

      Delete
  3. take your jeep for a drive to phantom canyon to cripple creek. used to be a neat drive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "IF" they had a line right down the middle I "might" walk that bridge...perhaps crawl it...yes, my fear is that obnoxious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say although it looks scary, the bridge is so wide and stable, you hardly know you are on a bridge. You could do it!!!!

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK. If you do the zipline, hats off! Like you I am better off on my own two feet with heights. Though looking at your photos I get a little wobbly.
    I see someone else knows Phantom Canyon road. If you go, let us know if it is paved now! Enjoy your stay there!

    ReplyDelete