Friday, September 25, 2020

The Days Are Too Short

A little catchup today.   Rarely do I post pictures of me, but here I am at the rim of the Royal Gorge while hiking with Cocoa the bulldog.  It was a short hike, only 2 miles, but the excitement of the snake made up for it, along with the views.


 After hiking, we were going to walk to downtown Alamosa, but opted for the car.  The altitude has been getting to me since I've apparently become a desert girl.  We ate at the Purple Pig Pizza Parlor, since it was actually world pepperoni pizza day.  

Surprisingly, they did not HAVE pepperoni pizza, so I chose Pork and Peaches.  I know, it sounds weird, and it was!!  However ... the pulled pork, slathered in barbecue sauce along with those sweet peaches was a tasty delight.  I would definitely have this one again!!

 
If anyone has a mind to travel to Alamosa Colorado for the Cumbres Toltec train ride (totally worth it), the Cool Sunshine RV Park is a must stay.  The sites are wide, it's quiet and the staff is very friendly.  The only bad part was they charge extra for dogs.  

The days just don't seem to be long enough.  In no time, I was heading back to California while the rest of the group went to Chama to ride the other end of the train.  They have split it in half, making them twice the money.  I've heard the Chama side is the most spectacular to ride.

My ride to Albuquerque wasn't near as fun.  I headed south on 285, with lots of twists and turns as the highway ended in towns you had to negotiate before coming out the other side.  I did make one wrong turn, but luckily landed back on the highway. 


 I have to say though, the mountains are spectacular.  Fall colors have arrived, making this calderon volcano look gorgeous in yellow and rust colors.  Sadly, I'm too far away to get a good picture. 


 Even the highway scenery was nice.  New Mexico likes to paint their freeway crossovers with pretty designs.  I've no idea what the word is, but I'm guessing it one of many Indian tribes that lived in the area.


 At about this location, coming into Santa Fe, is where my backup camera went on the fritz.  I think it's a loose connection, but can't seem to find a way in to tighten the wires.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed it works when I land in Williams Arizona, since I have a back-in site.  I begged and pleaded ... maybe someone will cancel.  

After seven hours of driving, I probably won't be in any kind of shape to unhook the Jeep.  I'm already looking forward to SLEEP and I haven't even left Albuquerque!!!

Next up ... the Cumbres and Tolec Steam Train ride.  Hopefully I'll have time to download those 400 pictures I took.  No kidding ... it was pretty spectacular!!!

 

 

8 comments:

  1. Isn't that the RR you posted that mesmerizing rotary snow plow video about? YESSSS!![I just confirmed it is in another tab from my bookmarks] I can't wait to see your pics of the route when it's bare, this is a trip I really have a hankering to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an amazing ride Leilani ... you would love it. Nice comfortable seats inside or you can ride outside in the open air cars. The scenery is beautiful!

      Delete
  2. Love the pic of you, cute! We did the ride from Chamas a few years ago about this time of year and it was INCREDIBLE! Would love to do it again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll do Chama at some point. It just doesn't fit in my schedule right now. Well worth the trip here.

      Delete
  3. know what it's like after a long day on the road feels like.
    Be Safe and Enjoy your sleep.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ask for help at the RV Park desk, I am sure they have someone who can help you back in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily my camera was working, but I've got even better news.

      Delete