Saturday, September 26, 2020

Now THAT Was A Long Drive

Off we go, heading out of Albuquerque.  I've driven this highway before, but to be honest, hardly anything looks familiar.  That's probably because I was following Barbara and Tom Westerfield coming back from Maine and not paying attention.


 The mountains of New Mexico are beautiful, to be sure.  That red rock just fascinates me.  Traffic was heavy with the usual trucks going 75 mph while I cruise along at a lowly 60. 

I was pretty much counting the minutes as I crossed the Continental Divide.  This was a very long 8 hour drive I was not looking forward to.  New Mexico does not have very many rest stops, and most of them are closed.  Too bad for drivers like me that need a rest.
 

 The New Mexico roads aren't all that great either, as told by all the smashed up guard railings.  They were repairing them every twenty miles or so, the entire way.  Luckily there were some trains to grab my attention.


 Just in case you were wondering, all those really cool very old Indian Reservation stops are closed.  I was hoping one would become a rest stop, but alas, at this point the only place I could find to stop was the side of an off-ramp.  The puppies really needed a break after four hours.


 At long last I found a rest stop near Flagstaff.  We had lunch and spent thirty minutes hanging out on the couch.  It was a good thing because Flagstaff was the pits, and I'm being nice.  The highway through there is horrible.  Even at 55 mph, things were crashing and banging, including my teeth.  

Why go 55?  Because the wind was terrible, throwing me and everyone else all over the road.  Some people with trailers were down to 45 mph.  Boy was I happy to land in Williams, even if I was exhausted.


 Hmmm, is that a new sign?  Don't remember it, nor do I remember all the stop lights at every corner the entire length of this town.  I found the Grand Canyon Railroad RV park office with no trouble.  At least I DO remember this!  

I walked inside, totally beat up.  PLEASE PLEASE HAVE A PULL THRU.  Well let me tell you, Allison is a miracle worker.  SHE RESERVED A CANCELLED PULL THRU JUST FOR ME!  I can't tell you how excited I was.  I would have jumped up and down, but my back was killing me. 

I pulled in, plugged in and spent the rest of the afternoon on the couch.  It was then I realized I gained an hour coming into Arizona.  I kid you not, I fell alseep on the couch at 7:30.


 I did get outside to take one picture.  Terrible picture ... I'll try to get better ones today ... but if you look between the coach on the left and the tree, you will see a LaQuinta Hotel.  Now I KNOW that wasn't here before, nor was the huge bar/restaurant to the right.  It was a smaller bbq place.

More money savings ... one of my favorite quilt shops has gone out of business.  RATS!

Today I'm off again, hopefully only a six hour drive this time, to beautiful downtown Newberry Springs RV Park outside of Barstow.  I've never stayed there, so here's hoping it's not a dump.  But first, fueling up at a brand spanking new Loves Truck Stop on my way to the freeway.  You can't beat that!

 


 

 

12 comments:

  1. Great pictures! That was a long drive with very little stopping places. Too bad whoever is responsible for closing the rest areas doesn't think that they were placed there originally for fatigued drivers! Do you think the reservation stops are closed for good or just until the "virus" settles? They were always fun to visit. How sweet that Allison saved that spot for you! Enjoy the journey today :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The signs all say the rest stops are under repair. Don't know if that's true or not, but they really should be open for tired drivers.

      Delete
  2. That is a long time on the road especially with bad road conditions and no rest stops. When you have long travel days you should try to book a down day to recover.
    Be Safe and Enjoy your next stop.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would certainly stay a couple of nights at each stop, but I have to be back to work Monday morning. Maybe I'll get lucky and have Monday off! LOL

      Delete
  3. Now THAT was a long drive. I think once I made it all the way to Needles from Albuquerque, now THAT was a long trip in a motorhome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been ugly to say the least. Six more hours and I should be home.

      Delete
  4. Way too long a day! Then not followed by a rest day? What is the rush?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm heading back to work the pumpkin patch that opened on Saturday. I'm already late!!! Last day on the road!!

      Delete
  5. Yes, New Mexico mountains are beautiful but no place to stop? Not good. When you got to Williams I was hoping you would be taking a rest day! I think our longest drive was Las Vegas NM to Gila Bend AZ. Our shortest was California City to Needles. We still laugh about that "long day".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My original plan was to stay in Williams one extra night, but I felt bad about leaving the rally a day early since so many people had cancelled. This is my last driving day, so I can rest up all afteroon!

      Delete
  6. Nancy, I wish there were some way to write you a note. I have just read your comment on Its About Time. I hope you looked at some followups on previous Presidents tax returns. It's all public information and was at the time. Why are you so feisty?? Some old Canadian is distressed and you just jump out all fired up and ready to go. Your guys are in charge now. What's the problem? What have the "others" done to you personally?? These are things I'd really like to know. I'm not sure, but perhaps you can find my email address on the blogger thing. I'd post it, but....uh. well. If you can't maybe we could find a way to have a conversation. Because I really am puzzled.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And I have the impression you are a kind hearted and generous person who cares about others. So whence the anger?

    ReplyDelete