Saturday, September 12, 2020

Operator Error?

 Over the years, I've spent lots of time with electronics.  Between computer programing when they were the size of my house and numerous electronic devices, I can usually hold my own.

Wasn't I surprised yesterday when I went to download the SD card from the game camera.  "This card has no supported media".  Wait, WHAT?  I've been downloading videos and images for the last month.  Yes I had that first urge to throw the thing out the window, but the challenge got the best of me.

It's either the camera or the card.  Nothing was different ... no rain, no snow, no javelina dragging the camera off into the cactus.  I tested it by making a video of me dancing in the kitchen.  No, it's not one you will see because it recorded nothing.

It sounded like it was recording, so my initial assessment was the card had gone bad.  I've never had that happen in any electronic device I have ever had in my life.  SO ... it must NOT be operator error.  With dark glasses and a big black mask, SANS makeup, I headed off to Walmart at 7:00 am.  I figured if it wasn't the card, I would have plenty of time to complain to the camera people.

I'm very happy to say the NEW card worked just fine, recording a video of me turning it on and off.  No dancing this time.  This morning will tell the tale as I retrieve the camera from last night.  Keep your fingers crossed.

In the meantime, here's one of the javelinas pushing and shoving.  You may have seen this one.  Although I can rename them, I've completely lost track of the dates.  That is DEFINITELY operator error, or in other words, something went wrong with my brain memory card.


 Since the morning weather has cooled off considerably, I actually wore a long sleeve shirt to wash the windshield of the rig.  The rest of the day I loaded up plants, frozen food, clothes and dog food.  How exciting.  The good thing is I actually have a list so nothing is forgotten.  Usually that is.

When I spotted this guy however, I had to grab my camera.  After looking at dozens of images, this appears to be a female rufous hummer.   The one on the other side of the nectar is a reflection of a second one.  They seem to guard this feeder very jealously.


My nerves have calmed down considerably since the weather report for the next week or so seems to be good, or at least there no XXXX predicted.  I'm not even going to say that word.  I'll finish packing up this morning and be off into the wild blue yonder with the two puppies and Jonathan in tow.  

 

 

 

12 comments:

  1. Those don't look like javelinas to me! I enjoy seeing what shows up on your game cam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing how SD cards can fail. I've had one last a week and another a couple of years.
    Have to agree those are not Javelinas.
    Safe Travels and Enjoy the trip.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes well ... that was my fault. Operator error! LOL

      Delete
  3. Well Nancy I have not been able to see the last three days of your great wildlife videos. I checked everyone's comments, to see if they got the pictures. No one except me. Why? I don't know. The message on video screen says "An error occurred please. Please try later." Not sure what to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are receiving the blog via email, I imagine the file is just to big to be downloaded. On your computer, open your browser and type in
      Kissackadventures.blogspot.com
      You should be able to open them then.

      Delete
  4. You can re-format the SD Card through your computer or perhaps the camera might be able to do that too. Also, and you probably looked at this, the little tab along one side slides up and down locking or unlocking the ability to write to the SD Card...putting the card in and out so much it inadvertently could have moved just a little bit, which could do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I checked out the little tab. It didn't work. I will try to reformat it.

      Delete
  5. Happy travels! Smooth sailing! Roufous hummingbirds are spectacular. Here, they're not very common, so it's exciting when their orange glory shows up. Thanks for your postings....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Prettiest Javelins I've ever seen! :D I can't get over how watchful they have to be. Seems like they can never relax. :(
    Love love love the hummingbird. Awesome capture! You put me to shame!

    ReplyDelete